• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2019 2:21 am
[OP]
Feb 11, 2018
17 posts
5 upvotes
Qc

[Rogers] Chatr to Rogers switch deal

Received a phone call and it was Rogers offering a deal since I have been a "loyal" Chatr customer.

I currently have the chatr $25/month Unlimited Province-wide Talk & 100 International Texts but looks like this plan doesn't exist on their site anymore and was replaced by $25 Per Month Unlimited Canada-Wide Talk & International Text
-Details
INCLUDES Plan Includes Details

Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
Unlimited International Text,
Picture and Video Messaging
International Talk Saver
Voicemail

Rogers is offering unlimited canada wide talk and text with picture and voice messaging etc for $20 per month. Decided to give them a go. During the phone call, which was being recorded by them, I made sure to ask, a couple times, that the price would remain at $20 per month as the only reason I was switching was for the 5 monthly saving and she said yes. Of course there's the $35 fee for switching so needs 7 months really before I start actually saving money.

My number will be ported when I call them upon receiving my new sim card, also there was a credit check.

Sounds fairly decent saves me 5$ per month.

What are you experiences with this kind of offer?
Will they at some point try to force me to pay more per month even though it was stated clearly several times this would not happen?
Also I imagine the quality will be the same or better than chatr since they own chatr?
66 replies
Aug 8, 2017
208 posts
78 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
You can always get them to waive the activation fee.
Jul 12, 2011
488 posts
169 upvotes
MARKHAM
Got the 6gb 3g, $25 myself and they send me these promos weekly. Usually these promos are ripoffs, there's a reason they try to coerce you to join a new plan.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2416 posts
2707 upvotes
Fido still has the $25 talk + international text plan w/ 1000 international minute add on for new customers
Virgin still has it till end of day today

Rogers doesn't have the international text or minutes.
Rogers does have a $1 international add on though that gives you some great rates to call overseas
Last edited by NavieM on Jul 23rd, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3476 posts
2978 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 5:45 pm
Sure, OP should check out Public Mobile, the bottom of the barrel, when they have an offer to go on one of the "premium" brands for cheaper.
In many areas, far better network. And you don't get the Rogers 'billing problems' game. If you think PM is bad, wait until you experience how hard it is for Rogers to get amounts you pay right, EVERY SINGLE MONTH.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2800 posts
980 upvotes
Montreal
repatch wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 6:06 pm

In many areas, far better network. And you don't get the Rogers 'billing problems' game. If you think PM is bad, wait until you experience how hard it is for Rogers to get amounts you pay right, EVERY SINGLE MONTH.
Rogers isn't Bell.

They may charge more but billing problems do not affect a significant proportion of their customers.
Aug 11, 2018
204 posts
205 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 5:45 pm
Sure, OP should check out Public Mobile, the bottom of the barrel, when they have an offer to go on one of the "premium" brands for cheaper.
every single post that mentions public mobile you're just quick to jump on it and attack the carrier.

do you have a life? seriously. i've already discredited you. you don't use their service (as per your words you couldn't get activated) so why do you keep chiming in? it's pathetic.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1715 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote:
Really like PM, except for the every 30 day form of billing. Am currently with FM which is really good for me. $24/month for 1.5 gigs and no roaming within Canada, etc... Previously was with Rogers and found their billing and customer service quite good. Certainly never experienced the every single month problem. The rest of my family is still with them and they also don’t experience that issue.

PM is not for everyone. I personally prefer their support approach ( basically self serve). I also quite like their LTE capped at 3G speeds. That’s all most people need in my opinion. This whole tons of data and 50mbs stuff is getting out of hand.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5347 posts
3179 upvotes
idontwantausername wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 6:15 pm
every single post that mentions public mobile you're just quick to jump on it and attack the carrier.

do you have a life? seriously. i've already discredited you. you don't use their service (as per your words you couldn't get activated) so why do you keep chiming in? it's pathetic.
Thanks, it hurts to be discredited by someone who can't even read and understand my posts.
Nov 13, 2017
36 posts
22 upvotes
Ontario
This deal's been on for the last 18+ months or so, but the prices vary from time to time. I can't recall any better pricing for this specific promo than what's available now - in the past, they've been $5-$10 more or had less data. Currently, the promo plans available when migrating from chatr to rogers/fido are $20/0GB, $45/5GB, and $55/7GB (all with unlimited talk+text). There are also options to get the 5GB/7GB plans with a phone on tab for an extra $10-$15/mo. The promo's available to all chatr customers who've been with them for 30+ days; if you've been with rogers prepaid for 30+ days, you can migrate to rogers postpaid and get this promo. Likewise with fido prepaid migrating to fido postpaid.
Last edited by DonJoe on Jul 23rd, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 11, 2011
74 posts
21 upvotes
Surrey
I have the Chatr to Rogers $70/7GB premium plan promo. I got the iPhone XR 128GB for $200 up front and the $70 includes the subsidy. Some might say it's not hot but basically it's $35 for unlimited Canada talk n text and 7 GB LTE data. The other $35 is a effectively a no interest loan repayment for the phone purchase.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5347 posts
3179 upvotes
repatch wrote:
kenze wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 6:09 pm
Rogers isn't Bell.

They may charge more but billing problems do not affect a significant proportion of their customers.
I have experience with all of ROBELUS. I manage 3 Bell and 2 Koodo accounts currently. I also have multiple accounts at Public Mobile from when I abused the $25 referral credit. There's nothing worse than Public Mobile. The only people who accept Public Mobile's crap are those who either don't care much or are blinded by the $2 they're saving and can't even understand basic English as you can see from someone's post above.
Dec 18, 2006
66 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I switch out of rogers after they raised the 60/10Gb plan to 65/10gb. I went to freedom. 2 month later... i got a call from winback and recently got offer 40/8Gb. And took it. So winback is an option
I'm Cheap And I'm Broke!@!