Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Connected for Success - Affordable Internet plans for select people in need (ON, NB, NFLD)

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2022 6:59 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
5304 posts
924 upvotes
wing0 wrote: my experience: Under their name but you will be added as authorized person to make changes.
GrumpyAsian wrote: Can confirm this was the case for me as well when I signed up for my dad. You will have authority to make any change except canceling the plan itself.
perfect thanks. I also put my email and phone number in the email to them to register since my grandparents don't have email. Not sure if they need that kind of info for my grandparents or not.

Guess will wait and see.
Jul 22, 2020
681 posts
108 upvotes
azncapcom wrote: perfect thanks. I also put my email and phone number in the email to them to register since my grandparents don't have email. Not sure if they need that kind of info for my grandparents or not.

Guess will wait and see.
Does it need a credit check?
Jul 15, 2017
61 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga ON
esoxhntr wrote: odd that people on ODSP are eligible but people on CPP-D are not.
Did you call and ask about this? What exactly did they say?
Thank you
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1267 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
GreenLean wrote:
I thought fongo was free? Why did they charge you $5 a month?
The Fongo app, which sends your voice and texts using your phone's data, is free. Fongo Home Phone, which is VOIP, is $5/month. Freephoneline is the free version (same company) if you are are supplying your own adapter and are tech savvy enough to configure and troubleshoot everything yourself (you also need to buy their configuration profile for $50). With the paid service they just send you the adapter and you plug it in, and everything automatically works.
azncapcom wrote: If we do the letter of authorization, would the account be under the qualified person or the authorized person?

Looking to set this up for my grandparents.
Account is in the qualified person's name. The authorized person has the right to make decisions on behalf of the qualified person.
GreenLean wrote: Does it need a credit check?
No.
Last edited by blueangel2323 on Jul 16th, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 13, 2016
226 posts
154 upvotes
FLAWSOME wrote: Did you call and ask about this? What exactly did they say?
Thank you
I tried emailing them but never got a response.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
1217 posts
385 upvotes
Even with a gesture like this, I can see them trying to pull something slimey.

“We realize you’re in need sir, but it clearly states prices are subject to increase”
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1198 posts
1499 upvotes
GTA
HarryMuscle wrote: I tried emailing them but never got a response.
Call them. Response time was always immediate for me
Dec 5, 2011
495 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
blueangel2323 wrote: The Fongo app, which sends your voice and texts using your phone's data, is free. Fongo Home Phone, which is VOIP, is $5/month. Freephoneline is the free version (same company) if you are are supplying your own adapter and are tech savvy enough to configure and troubleshoot everything yourself (you also need to buy their configuration profile for $50). With the paid service they just send you the adapter and you plug it in, and everything automatically works.

Account is in the qualified person's name. The authorized person has the right to make decisions on behalf of the qualified person.

No.
Is there a way to get freephoneline account on an app on your phone?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16153 posts
3967 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
sinankeser wrote: Is there a way to get freephoneline account on an app on your phone?
Yes, via a 3rd party SIP apps. But you need to be savvy enough to know what SIP is. Freephoneline is a solid SIP service. Has been working for 20+ years.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4194 posts
1158 upvotes
Mississauga
weedb0y wrote: Yes, via a 3rd party SIP apps. But you need to be savvy enough to know what SIP is. Freephoneline is a solid SIP service. Has been working for 20+ years.
You need to pay $100 for the unlock key.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6831 posts
3331 upvotes
Debtario
GreenLean wrote: Does it need a credit check?
They say no, but they asked for birthday and ID - specifically a SIN!. Reports from previous years claim there were credit checks done.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1267 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
sinankeser wrote: Is there a way to get freephoneline account on an app on your phone?
Why? It will need an internet connection to work anyways, so why not just use the Fongo app? You can port your existing number too.
Dec 5, 2011
495 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
blueangel2323 wrote: Why? It will need an internet connection to work anyways, so why not just use the Fongo app? You can port your existing number too.
ended up using the android app SIPNETIC and it works amazing and super easy to setup. Now I have freephoneline on my android phone and it works seamlessly.
Jun 12, 2018
42 posts
9 upvotes
I’m in the process of moving and needed to change the address of the service. Rep tells me that this has been discontinued for years and tries to get me to switch to ignite, big yikes when I told her I got this in April.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3247 posts
578 upvotes
GTA
Are veterans on long term disability welcome?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3712 posts
2026 upvotes
One of the greediest, most dishonest companies on the planet and people in need. No. Just no.
Jul 22, 2020
681 posts
108 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: They say no, but they asked for birthday and ID - specifically a SIN!. Reports from previous years claim there were credit checks done.
Can you refuse the SIN and birthday if asked??
Where does it say a credit check won't be done?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2288 posts
427 upvotes
Торонто
If your opening an account via odsp or anything that needs verifying, they will probably ask for your SIN. If your address is registered to a "partner" I.e. tchc building, they won't ask for sin or documents for verification.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2288 posts
427 upvotes
Торонто
phokingnoodles wrote: I’m in the process of moving and needed to change the address of the service. Rep tells me that this has been discontinued for years and tries to get me to switch to ignite, big yikes when I told her I got this in April.
Call the connected for success number, not regular consumer internet number