Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Connected for Success - Affordable Internet plans for select people in need (ON, NB, NFLD)

  • Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2022 6:59 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
6839 posts
3356 upvotes
Debtario
Got hooked up! Painless process and got the XB7 modem (CGM4331com), getting around 35Mbps+ (varies) and consistent 5Mbps upload, from what I can tell line stats looks great with +5 dBmV signal power and around 38-39 SNR.

Tech came out and installed a temporary service line, another team will show up at some point to install a permanent buried line. He had to install a box outside, all the drilling and wiring was very clean and professionally routed. He also gave me some crimp ends and extra slack wire to route to anywhere I want in the house at a later date. Nothing at all like my last Bell install.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Newbie
Dec 3, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
Looking for an affordable home internet plan.
Location : London ON , N6H
Currently with Roers 150u, paying $50 but promo is going to expire next month and they are unable to provide same kind of offer.

Thank you.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
3577 posts
2534 upvotes
ersabine wrote: Looking for an affordable home internet plan.
Location : London ON , N6H
Currently with Roers 150u, paying $50 but promo is going to expire next month and they are unable to provide same kind of offer.

Thank you.
This thread is for low-income / assisted income internet plans. This is not the thread you want to be in as the plans are different.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
3577 posts
2534 upvotes
Any news of whether rogers put out subsidized cable tv for low income in this plan or similar?
Deal Addict
May 29, 2017
1171 posts
808 upvotes
Canada
DealsHunterCo wrote: If only they can allow you to pay $5-$10 more for like a 150mbps speed, I'll be signing up for sure. But how can you charge $34.99 when sometimes, BF deals can match with that and give you an additional gift card.
Not really great if they promote $34.99 for 150mbps. I wouldn't even consider that to be geared towards low-income family.
Exactly, this is a joke. Only in Canada do companies hand out holiday shopping promos to low income families on the regular and pretend its a deal......Real deal would have been to provide it for much cheaper:

What the prices should be:
25Mbps // $4.99
50Mbps // $9.99
75Mbps // $14.99
150 Mbps // $19.99
Getting a Wyze V3 Indoor / Outdoor Camera? SEE my FAQ Answers❗ ➡ CLICK HERE TO SEE MY POST

Telus: $45/25GB Unlimited Data [Multi Line + $5/24Mnth Disc.]
Freedom: Everywhere $50 18GB+1GB [F&F + Digital Disc.]
Fonus: Unltd CA/US/MEX Data FREE/Month
Sr. Member
Mar 5, 2007
605 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Samshares wrote: Exactly, this is a joke. Only in Canada do companies hand out holiday shopping promos to low income families on the regular and pretend its a deal......Real deal would have been to provide it for much cheaper:

What the prices should be:
25Mbps // $4.99
50Mbps // $9.99
75Mbps // $14.99
150 Mbps // $19.99
Lol, you guys are seriously complaining?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
3577 posts
2534 upvotes
You should see what bell is offering. Way worse, and it's exactly the min. the government asked of all the companies. Not a millimeter more from Bell. Rogers could have easily limited the internet and lowered the speed by a lot but didnt.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
1322 posts
393 upvotes
Richmond Hill
evilYoda wrote: Any news of whether rogers put out subsidized cable tv for low income in this plan or similar?
Last time they told me they were expecting to put out subsidized cable plans later in the summer and that they were just finalizing the plans at the time, I think this was May or June. They said to call back but I haven't had time to do so.
999th post - June 25, 2007 11:29PM
1000th post - June 25, 2007 11:30PM
1234th post - May 30, 2009 5:55PM
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11498 posts
6343 upvotes
bylo wrote: Thread should be renamed "[Rogers] Disconnected for Failure - Affordable Internet plans for select people who don't need service (ON, NB, NFLD)"
How can one say *anyone* does not need internet in this day & age?? I get that you are bitter for not qualifying for the deal, but it is a worthwhile service to those that do need internet (like everyone else) but at a cut rate.
Jr. Member
Nov 27, 2013
187 posts
43 upvotes
Canada
Someone in my family is on assistance but they would not accept notice of a deposit, the initial letter from a case worker saying they are their case worker and the tax statement of benefits. This is more than enough proof, seems they try their hardest to prevent these deals.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11498 posts
6343 upvotes
JohnBay wrote: Someone in my family is on assistance but they would not accept notice of a deposit, the initial letter from a case worker saying they are their case worker and the tax statement of benefits. This is more than enough proof, seems they try their hardest to prevent these deals.
They need their payment stub that they would just received, or the PDF off of MyBenefits, just the same as accessing any other benefit under social assistance. This should not be a surprise. It is only going to be a problem if the recipient is no longer receiving benefits & is seeking some alternate way to prove they still are on benefits. Why do they not have a payment stub or MyBenefits PDF? It is needed for verification of address.
Jr. Member
Nov 27, 2013
187 posts
43 upvotes
Canada
lecale wrote: They need their payment stub that they would just received, or the PDF off of MyBenefits, just the same as accessing any other benefit under social assistance. This should not be a surprise. It is only going to be a problem if the recipient is no longer receiving benefits & is seeking some alternate way to prove they still are on benefits. Why do they not have a payment stub or MyBenefits PDF? It is needed for verification of address.
Not from Ontario (yeah RFD is 99.9% Ontario) so there would be no "MyBenefits," or anything online at all. All that is sent per month is the notice of deposit physical letter, nothing else. They get notice of deposit letters every month, one was just dated July 30th 2021.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11498 posts
6343 upvotes
JohnBay wrote: Not from Ontario (yeah RFD is 99.9% Ontario) so there would be no "MyBenefits," or anything online at all. All that is sent per month is the notice of deposit physical letter, nothing else. They get notice of deposit letters every month, one was just dated July 30th 2021.
You are right, you have more than enough proof. I though you were trying to use a bank deposit statement. I would email them and ask them exactly what form of proof they are imagining you provide?

I am doing an application for someone in Ontario right now. The "proof of assistance" letter off of MyBenefits just lists the program [OW/ODSP], "The following people are currently receiving social assistance for this month. Up to date as of [date]," the person's name, case number & address. That's it.

The "statement of assistance" has a top portion that lists the recipient's name & benefit number & benefit period that is used to access dental, bus pass discounts, food banks, anything that requires proof of assistance. People do not have to provide the other portion which includes the actual amount paid. The bottom has the person's name, address, the date of issue, and a case number at the side. Either the top third or bottom third of the statement should suffice.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11498 posts
6343 upvotes
JohnBay wrote: Someone in my family is on assistance but they would not accept notice of a deposit, the initial letter from a case worker saying they are their case worker and the tax statement of benefits. This is more than enough proof, seems they try their hardest to prevent these deals.
Are you in New Brunswick or Newfoundland, because this is not national.

The application I sent in (MyBenefits statement, name, address, phone number, desired package) was approved next business day. Now I have to phone in to finish things up. They gave me a reference number.
Jr. Member
Nov 27, 2013
187 posts
43 upvotes
Canada
lecale wrote: Are you in New Brunswick or Newfoundland, because this is not national.

The application I sent in (MyBenefits statement, name, address, phone number, desired package) was approved next business day. Now I have to phone in to finish things up. They gave me a reference number.
Yes NB.
NB is about 25 years behind in technology, they dont have any easy way (or any way) to login and see details. They also don't have that much info on the physical letters. I guess theyd have to call their case manager and get them to mail out some garbage that would take weeks. Just a guess based on how slow everything is in NB.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11498 posts
6343 upvotes
JohnBay wrote: Yes NB.
NB is about 25 years behind in technology, they dont have any easy way (or any way) to login and see details. They also don't have that much info on the physical letters. I guess theyd have to call their case manager and get them to mail out some garbage that would take weeks. Just a guess based on how slow everything is in NB.
I am sorry for you luck out there. At least you know it is not you, it is them. It sounds like some people are being strung along for a month. Hang in there, breathe deep ;) You know what they always say when dealing with social assistance, "hurry up and wait." :rolleyes:
Member
User avatar
Nov 30, 2014
222 posts
269 upvotes
Anybody know if Hamilton area has something similar with Cogeco?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2258 posts
574 upvotes
Just a warning: my parents never got a physical bill in the mail, even though Rogers said they would. Got dinged late fees which took around 50 minutes to reverse. If you helped your parents set this up, follow up and make sure they have been receiving bills.

Top