Cell Phones

Rogers EPP: seller told me it's better to lease the phone than to buy it. Need advice.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2020 10:24 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
72 posts
2 upvotes

Rogers EPP: seller told me it's better to lease the phone than to buy it. Need advice.

Hi there,

I am an EPP client.

I was at the rogers kiosk yesterday to buy a new iphone 11 pro (because I gave the XS I'm currently paying to my girlfriend because she got her 6s stolen) and the seller told me it's always better to take the exchange plan to have cheaper monthly payments and I can always buy the device at the end of the 24 month term. Also, he told me that if the phone is in good condition, I can return it after 24 months and not have to sign up with rogers again. Is this true?

I don't trust those sellers and I always think there is a gimmick somewhere. For example, what if I want to stop being with rogers after 10 months? Do I need to pay whats left on the device (as it would be if I bought it) or am I stuck to pay for the remaining "lease months" or just the "lease value" + the residual value of the phone at the end of the 24 months?

He also told me that they discount the monthly bill by $12.50 if I buy the phone with them instead of going to Apple and buy it straight away. So, in a sense, if it's true, it would be more expensive for me to buy it directly from Apple and use it with rogers.

Would you guys do as the seller told me and lease it or just buy it? Money isn't a problem. I could buy the phone straight away if I wanted.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3949 posts
1609 upvotes
Quebec
pro
- cheaper monthly payment
- when battery die out, you can change new device

con
- you dont own the device
- if you break it, you pay it

similar to car renting vs buying
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3031 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
iphonebleh wrote: why? Could you give me more details about why you wouldn't do it?
Well, did you do the calculations to determine your out of pocket in both scenarios to determine what would be the best decision for you?
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Oct 17, 2010
637 posts
298 upvotes
Terrace
iphonebleh wrote: why? Could you give me more details about why you wouldn't do it?
If money is not a problem, buy your own phone. NEVER sign a contract with ANY carrier.

If money is a problem, settle with a phone that you can afford to purchase out right (used or new) and NEVER sign a contract with ANY carrier.

Leave your options open, there are always promos and deals. Let the carriers fight for your business.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
72 posts
2 upvotes
Well, if I buy out of pocket from apple, the device would cost me $1585,51
With rogers EPP, the monthly plan would still be 58,95 with no rebate ($12.50 per month) for buying the phone from them.
so I end up saving money financing through them even if I could buy the phone outright.
Mar 5, 2020
36 posts
12 upvotes
It's worth double checking the phone you want on the apple site, as I have found iPhone prices to be higher with Rogers and fido.

they are burying the 0% financing cost into a higher upfront price.
Aug 11, 2018
789 posts
633 upvotes
Tobsterboi wrote: If money is not a problem, buy your own phone. NEVER sign a contract with ANY carrier.

If money is a problem, settle with a phone that you can afford to purchase out right (used or new) and NEVER sign a contract with ANY carrier.

Leave your options open, there are always promos and deals. Let the carriers fight for your business.
can we stop acting like signing a 2 year contract means you're SOL and can never leave? because that's certainly not the case.

if you know what you're doing then you come out on top if you sign a contract. carriers will pay down the device balance and after 2 years it will be $0.

EPP:
$77/month 20gb with iPhone 11 pro = $2088 over 2 years + $508 down payment = $2596 all in for 2 years

non EPP:
$75/moth 10gb with no phone = $2034 over 2 years + $1000+ for whatever device you picked $3034

EPP with no subsidy:

$68 20gb = $1844 for 2 years + $1000 for a phone $2844

all above are with Ontario tax 13%
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
72 posts
2 upvotes
idontwantausername wrote: can we stop acting like signing a 2 year contract means you're SOL and can never leave? because that's certainly not the case.

if you know what you're doing then you come out on top if you sign a contract. carriers will pay down the device balance and after 2 years it will be $0.

EPP:
$77/month 20gb with iPhone 11 pro = $2088 over 2 years + $508 down payment = $2596 all in for 2 years

non EPP:
$75/moth 10gb with no phone = $2034 over 2 years + $1000+ for whatever device you picked $3034

EPP with no subsidy:

$68 20gb = $1844 for 2 years + $1000 for a phone $2844

all above are with Ontario tax 13%
Well, I am in Quebec, so I don't know how you can get the device for $2596 including 20gb monthly.

what Rogers offers me:

The 10gb EPP is $47,50 for 10gb unlimited + $58.95 for the device (financing with $0 down). So for 2 years it's $106.45/month + tax = $122.39 x 24 months = $2937.36

If I buy at the apple store, the price of the device with tax is $1585.51 + $67.78 ($58.95 + tx: no rebate on monthly plan because device is not bought through them) x 24 = 1585.51 + 1626.72 = $3212.23

so, it makes it cheaper to buy the phone through financing with rogers.
Oct 17, 2010
637 posts
298 upvotes
Terrace
idontwantausername wrote: can we stop acting like signing a 2 year contract means you're SOL and can never leave? because that's certainly not the case.

I'm sure at some point of our past we've seen something better and we were "told" we can't get it because we're on a "contract"

Alot can happen within 2 years I'd stay contract free if money wasn't an issue. That just me and my personal opinion.

Add on March 09, 2020

I've been contract free since I don't remember when. I have been buying used or new phones from kijiji or craiglist(just do your due diligence you will be fine) and remain contract free. I've had lucky mobile, public mobile, koodo, virgin, and fido for the last few years or so. I jump when I see a better deal that suits my need.
Aug 11, 2018
789 posts
633 upvotes
Tobsterboi wrote: I'm sure at some point of our past we've seen something better and we were "told" we can't get it because we're on a "contract"

Alot can happen within 2 years I'd stay contract free if money wasn't an issue. That just me and my personal opinion.

Add on March 09, 2020

I've been contract free since I don't remember when. I have been buying used or new phones from kijiji or craiglist(just do your due diligence you will be fine) and remain contract free. I've had lucky mobile, public mobile, koodo, virgin, and fido for the last few years or so. I jump when I see a better deal that suits my need.
that was the past.. it was more difficult to break contracts and you had to pay a cancellation fee that was worth more than the phone itself.

now there's no such things as contracts. it's a tab system. pay off whatever the subsidy is and you can leave.

i'm all for using sub brands, i was recently on public mobile. but let's not act like being contract free is all that, because it's not and i've already proven it.
Aug 11, 2018
789 posts
633 upvotes
iphonebleh wrote: Well, I am in Quebec, so I don't know how you can get the device for $2596 including 20gb monthly.

what Rogers offers me:

The 10gb EPP is $47,50 for 10gb unlimited + $58.95 for the device (financing with $0 down). So for 2 years it's $106.45/month + tax = $122.39 x 24 months = $2937.36

If I buy at the apple store, the price of the device with tax is $1585.51 + $67.78 ($58.95 + tx: no rebate on monthly plan because device is not bought through them) x 24 = 1585.51 + 1626.72 = $3212.23

so, it makes it cheaper to buy the phone through financing with rogers.
i would wait. usually quebec has better plans than ontario..