• Dec 28th, 2016 1:00 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm

Rogers/Fido knows something about the new wireless code expected in 2017

in my opinion...

As most of you know, Fido introduced a 2 day promo of the $60/6gb plan today.

Things are gonna change in 2017 and Rogers just wanted a head start to steal some customers from Bell/Telus and if the thread on RFD is any indication then they did just that.

Expect Bell/Telus/Rogers to offer similar plans in 2017. Maybe not $60 for 6gb, but something close.

Or maybe I'm just too optimistic about wireless service products in Canada.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
1143 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
I really hope that you are right Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Thanks for the upvote!
Aug 17, 2008
422 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
I really hope so too! What's the wireless code?
I was tempted to get this fido $60 6gb as it is an amazing deal, however, it would be the most expensive plan I have ever paid yet. Ive always sticked to the $40-$50 mark. I currently have the $45 2gb (but have an extra 1gb for a year). Never go close to over, which another reason I decided the 6gb wouldnt work for me
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
This is based on inside sources but it was started by Telus. Telus did a $40 4GB plan with Public Mobile as an experiment in Roger's home province Ontario. Obviously it caused up a stir, so Rogers dump the same $40 plan on Telus' home provinces of BC and Alberta. This is why those plans were only in these two provinces. They also got Bell to join in and they took quite a bit of customers back. Rogers probably wanted to drive it more so they dropped the $60 6GB plan short notice. The other carriers couldn't react fast enough so they had to make do by adding extra 2GB on an existing plan and using the $10 for 12 months promo. Sadly this may just be a push for last minute year end sales as Q4 is ending. Next year, pretty much guaranteed prices are rising again.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19780 posts
3408 upvotes
Woodbridge
There is, a new wireless code? Didn't know.

But happy that my plans are decent 5-6GB at $70-$75 each.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: This is based on inside sources but it was started by Telus. Telus did a $40 4GB plan with Public Mobile as an experiment in Roger's home province Ontario. Obviously it caused up a stir, so Rogers dump the same $40 plan on Telus' home provinces of BC and Alberta. This is why those plans were only in these two provinces. They also got Bell to join in and they took quite a bit of customers back. Rogers probably wanted to drive it more so they dropped the $60 6GB plan short notice. The other carriers couldn't react fast enough so they had to make do by adding extra 2GB on an existing plan and using the $10 for 12 months promo. Sadly this may just be a push for last minute year end sales as Q4 is ending. Next year, pretty much guaranteed prices are rising again.
You hit the nail right on the head! Wireless codes do not edict competition. I agree that the carriers will take stock of what these promotions have done to their bottom line and decide what to do from there. I suspect that with many customers getting large data bucket plans recently means more and more people will shun the 500 megs plans. Whether the carriers can leverage extra data into higher ARPU will be interesting. We already pay one of the highest wireless fees in the world. I doubt that there's much more the carriers can bleed from customers wallets. So, it's quite possible that cheaper data is here to stay.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30105 posts
5545 upvotes
Montreal
I just got 7gb for 57$ last week. QC only?
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto, ON
these are are all BYOD, nobody is locked into anything so i dont see how they have an advantage in doing this.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
Raquel_d90 wrote: I really hope so too! What's the wireless code?
It basically lays out your rights as a wireless subscriber in Canada. Simplified version can be found here: http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/codesimpl.htm
DBDphotography wrote: these are are all BYOD, nobody is locked into anything so i dont see how they have an advantage in doing this.
Better to have a customer on YOUR network than your competitor's, even if they're not locked in to a device subsidy. Plus, they're more likely to stay with you and sign up for a device subsidy down the road, when you can force them to change plans again.

IMO this is just further fallout from the PM $40 plan in November, as opposed to any reaction to upcoming wireless code changes. The first public hearing for the Wireless Code review isn't happening till February 6, any way, it's unlikely the CRTC has made any concrete decisions for changes to the code yet.