None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3238 posts
576 upvotes
GTA

Rogers Gigabit and Best VPN Options

Creating this thread so that we can discuss the gigabit speeds and VPN. Has anyone tested their downloads with vpn? if so which are you using and do you recommend it? Please post speeds with the best vpn connection you can so we can see which is the best.

EDIT:

I have the 500 Mbps until they upgrade my area to the full 1Gbps.

So far my results:

Without VPN:

With Private Internet Access VPN:

With Crypticvpn:

Goes without saying, we need a better VPN.

I'm not checking other servers right now because my go to has always been Toronto or NY servers for best speeds.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1536 posts
1331 upvotes
Pallet Town
What VPN provider are you with? PIA?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2040 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
I use https://crypticvpn.com/ , it's a fairly new company, speeds are great and prices are cheap. I'll post speed tests on it shortly.

Edit: Here's one from their Toronto server on my gigabit connection (Note I have Beanfield Internet at my workplace which is why I have 1 gbit down / up)

Toronto: Image
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3641 posts
846 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote: I use https://crypticvpn.com/ , it's a fairly new company, speeds are great and prices are cheap. I'll post speed tests on it shortly when I get home.
What does their lifetime plan mean? Is it really lifetime or just 2-3 years?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3641 posts
846 upvotes
I was thinking if you could get a little vpn router and use that to connect to the vpn, and then create an WIFI and only use that network for devices that require your vpn.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2040 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote: What does their lifetime plan mean? Is it really lifetime or just 2-3 years?
They told me it's a special deal until the end of June. After that they will no longer offer lifetime packages.

Lifetime means for the life of the service.

They are very active on social media if you have any questions you can contact them on their site, or Tweet them @CrypticVPN or contact them on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CrypticVPN/
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2040 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote: I was thinking if you could get a little vpn router and use that to connect to the vpn, and then create an WIFI and only use that network for devices that require your vpn.
That is do-able.

Most routers now days have built in VPN support.

I know my Asus RT-N66U does.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3238 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Hawk25 wrote: What VPN provider are you with? PIA?
Private internet access
BengaliPrince wrote: I use https://crypticvpn.com/ , it's a fairly new company, speeds are great and prices are cheap. I'll post speed tests on it shortly.

Edit: Here's one from their Toronto server on my gigabit connection (Note I have Beanfield Internet at my workplace which is why I have 1 gbit down / up)

Toronto: Image
That's actually amazing, will check them out. Do you know how secure they are? Also when I download I'm not even close to the speedtest. Getting about 40 Mb/s (same as with my old 250u), so there's a bottleneck somewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3238 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
I emailed crypticvpn and asked them about testing speeds without buying. They sent me a 1 day trial code.

But my speeds are worst than PIA: Connected to the Toronto server:

To get code email:

admin@crypticvpn.com

ask for trial code to test speeds, then sign up, purchase tab and enter the code.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2040 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
jarko wrote: I emailed crypticvpn and asked them about testing speeds without buying. They sent me a 1 day trial code.

But my speeds are worst than PIA: Connected to the Toronto server:

To get code email:

admin@crypticvpn.com

ask for trial code to test speeds, then sign up, purchase tab and enter the code.
They only have one Toronto server at the moment, if tons of people are using it at the same time then it will cause slow downs.

However, they are adding a Quebec location later this week, and a few more within Canada.

Also for the price (CrypticVPN 1 month package is 65% cheaper than PIA), the speed in your speed test is pretty good. Weather you are getting 51 down or 137 down, you wont notice much of a difference when browsing/watching videos.

They'll still stream fine with little to no buffering.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3238 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
BengaliPrince wrote: They only have one Toronto server at the moment, if tons of people are using it at the same time then it will cause slow downs.

However, they are adding a Quebec location later this week, and a few more within Canada.

Also for the price (CrypticVPN 1 month package is 65% cheaper than PIA), the speed in your speed test is pretty good. Weather you are getting 51 down or 137 down, you wont notice much of a difference when browsing/watching videos.

They'll still stream fine with little to no buffering.
You might be fine with paying for a service and only receiving 10% of what you paid for, I on the other hand like to get the most out of what I pay for. Again, everyone has different circumstances, if you just stream I guess it's fine. I barely stream so losing speed matters more to me because I need it for work.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1099 posts
850 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
I don't have this Gigabit service (and don't need it as I'm happy with 100 / 10 cable Internet from TekSavvy) but maybe someone here can try IPVanish which is one of the fastest VPN providers with hundreds of servers to choose from. They're not the cheapest option but they do offer a 7 day money back guarantee and the coupons link at the bottom of their web site has some discounts.
Sep 16, 2005
752 posts
71 upvotes
Richmond Hill
any luck with finding faster vpns or ones that support ipv6 as well?