Rogers grey box - Vandalism help

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2019 8:14 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2019
20 posts
15 upvotes

Rogers grey box - Vandalism help

I came home and found the grey internet box outside my apartment was opened up and the cables exposed.

I only have internet, I don't have TV, but my question is could someone hijack my internet or hack into my modem using the wires here?

Here are some images, some help would be appreciated: http://imgur.com/a/0i2badU

I have contacted Rogers already and they are sending someone out in a couple of days. I just want to stay secure, so any feedback would be helpful.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8704 posts
1656 upvotes
Looks like maybe one of the other tenants decided they either didn't like their cable package, or decided to reinstate their cable connection altogether. One of those splitters could've been added to share the connection and the Rogers tech will need to verify.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
Mar 3, 2019
20 posts
15 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: Looks like maybe one of the other tenants decided they either didn't like their cable package, or decided to reinstate their cable connection altogether. One of those splitters could've been added to share the connection and the Rogers tech will need to verify.
Are you talking about TV only? Or are you saying they could snag internet from me?

I double checked systems on my network and it doesn't seem like there are any new devices.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1849 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
ProjectViolet wrote: I came home and found the grey internet box outside my apartment was opened up and the cables exposed.

I only have internet, I don't have TV, but my question is could someone hijack my internet or hack into my modem using the wires here?

Here are some images, some help would be appreciated: http://imgur.com/a/0i2badU

I have contacted Rogers already and they are sending someone out in a couple of days. I just want to stay secure, so any feedback would be helpful.
Nothing in those pics seem to be a concern in terms of you getting hacked. There is just a splitter. For them to co-share your internet, they would need the mac of a compatible modem registers to the rogers network. Unlike DSL, where you can get any compatible modem from the street and configure it with a valid username and password.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1849 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
ProjectViolet wrote: Are you talking about TV only? Or are you saying they could snag internet from me?

I double checked systems on my network and it doesn't seem like there are any new devices.
The only way they could be on your network is via wifi. Otherwise they would be need to be on your LAN, ie, directly connected to your rogers modem or your router/switch.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2019
20 posts
15 upvotes
samson wrote: The only way they could be on your network is via wifi. Otherwise they would be need to be on your LAN, ie, directly connected to your rogers modem or your router/switch.
But don't the cables running out of the wall provide access to my modem?

I know you can't just jack in, but wouldn't my modem be exploitable if someone got to the cables?

I might be wrong ofcourse. I don't know how this works exactly. But when the tech installed my internet he did work on the grey box, so there must be some sort of a connection to my network, right?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2003
1849 posts
292 upvotes
Toronto
ProjectViolet wrote: But don't the cables running out of the wall provide access to my modem?

I know you can't just jack in, but wouldn't my modem be exploitable if someone got to the cables?

I might be wrong ofcourse. I don't know how this works exactly. But when the tech installed my internet he did work on the grey box, so there must be some sort of a connection to my network, right?
To my knowledge, the Grey box houses the connections to the individual apartments. It also houses a live connection from the street. To make your main cable outlet in ur apt live, the appropriate connection for your apt at the Grey box will need to be activated with the street connection. In brief, at the the greybox, it is difficult to tap into your network with what the Pic shows.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1023 posts
678 upvotes
Moncton
Your Internet is safe. All of your neighbors are connected to the same physical coax cable on the pole line. Your Internet connection is established over this shared physical line by your modem.
[OP]
Mar 3, 2019
20 posts
15 upvotes
What happens if someone tries to use a splitter or similar device to try and steal or share or compromise the connection running from the street to the grey box to my modem?

Another user here mentioned all it would take is spoofing the modem MAC. Is that correct?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5684 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
ProjectViolet wrote: What happens if someone tries to use a splitter or similar device to try and steal or share or compromise the connection running from the street to the grey box to my modem?

Another user here mentioned all it would take is spoofing the modem MAC. Is that correct?
If there was splitter, its still fine. Only rogers connection (signal) is being shared, not your services, not your data, not your wifi password, not your account.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1382 posts
821 upvotes
Barrie ON
The hydro wires run through your entire neighborhood, either on top of a pole, or underground. As these wires pass each house, a wire(s) runs off the main feed to the meter of your house. The meter measures the hydro used inside your home, and because you have a smart meter with it's own identification number, it reports back to the hydro supplier how much you consumed. Unless a neighbor can connect to the house side of your meter, you will not get billed for what your neighbor uses.

In a very similar way, the cable signal runs through your entire neighborhood, either on top of poles or underground. Your TV signals and your Internet data, along with everyone else's data is carried on the same wire. As these wires pass each house, a wire runs off the main feed to the "Rogers Grey Box" on the side of your house. From this point it can be split to different apartments within a building, each of which has it's own Rogers modem or TV decoder. Your modem has a MAC address (similar to the ID number on the hydro meter), as well as an IP address. The rules of the Internet say that only data destined for your IP address will pass through the router and become accessible to you.

Now, as mentioned earlier, if someone could clone your MAC address and IP address on another router, then the data destined for you, may end up going to him instead. This may not work reliably since the system should start to report duplicate addresses, but it may work for while. This is also how you could get charged for someone else's data usage.

The point I am making is that your Internet data is flowing into every home in your neighborhood. A person doesn't have to connect to the terminals in your grey box to get access to your data. They only have to clone your modem in the safety of their own home, perhaps a block away.

By the way, that is why cable Internet gets slower at busy times of day, because everyone in the neighborhood is sharing the cable.