Computers & Electronics

ROGERS Ignite Modem + ASUS Router (MerlinWRT / Bridge Mode?)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2019 5:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1238 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan

ROGERS Ignite Modem + ASUS Router (MerlinWRT / Bridge Mode?)

Hi everyone,
We are switching to the Ignite TV + Internet bundle on Thursday and had a few questions for the experts here on RFD:

1. Do they use a single coaxial cable from the demarc point to the main hub (modem/router)? I assume 1 cable runs into the hub from demarc and another (coax cbl?) from the hub to the main TV with the rest of the boxes being wireless? Trying to prepare for the installation...
2. I am using an R7000 router with MerlinWRT firmware that is currently connected to my bridged Bell home hub modem. Can we put the new rogers hub into bridge/gateway mode or would it mess with the TV services?
3. If #2 is possible, can you briefly explain what config would be required on the MerlinWRT firmware?
My hub would be in the same spot as my R7000 router so I want to disable the WiFi on the rogers hub.

Anything else I should know?
Thanks!
19 replies
Apr 29, 2018
460 posts
255 upvotes
I assume all you'd need to do is connect the Rogers Modem to any LAN port of your Router. Not the WAN Port, but a LAN port. That should be it. All the data will flow to the Rogers Modem and IPs will be auto-assigned by that Rogers Modem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1238 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan
kramer1 wrote: I assume all you'd need to do is connect the Rogers Modem to any LAN port of your Router. Not the WAN Port, but a LAN port. That should be it. All the data will flow to the Rogers Modem and IPs will be auto-assigned by that Rogers Modem.
Thanks.
I would like to use my router for these tasks though and leave the modem strictly for the internet. I am worried about the whole ignite TV thing though...
Apr 29, 2018
460 posts
255 upvotes
That is exactly what this will do and you won't need to do any extra config. Your TV will also continue to work as normal, just run a LAN cable from the Router.

Basically what this will do, for the tech savvy, is bridge the Modem with your local LAN. This will allow the Modem to be the DHCP server and thus will configure all your device for Net access, without any messing around. It also avoids the extra HOP that would be added, if the Modem is connected to the WAN port. Finally, this should also mean that you do not need to mess around with Port Forwarding etc, as your Rogers Modem will simply use UPnP and provide the needed access to the apps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1238 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan
kramer1 wrote: That is exactly what this will do and you won't need to do any extra config. Your TV will also continue to work as normal, just run a LAN cable from the Router.

Basically what this will do, for the tech savvy, is bridge the Modem with your local LAN. This will allow the Modem to be the DHCP server and thus will configure all your device for Net access, without any messing around. It also avoids the extra HOP that would be added, if the Modem is connected to the WAN port. Finally, this should also mean that you do not need to mess around with Port Forwarding etc, as your Rogers Modem will simply use UPnP and provide the needed access to the apps.
hmmm so essentially my router would just be acting as an extra AP? Since the modem would be right beside my 3rd party router, I would likely need to disable the wireless in the rogers modem/router as they would interfere? or if they have the same SSID maybe they will piggyback off of whatever has the better signal? But then would the TV connect to the wrong AP?
Apr 29, 2018
460 posts
255 upvotes
Yup, I would suggest turning off the Wifi on your Rogers Modem. Or maybe keep that modem to have a 2.4 Ghz network (for all the "smart" devices) and the 5Ghz on your Router, for Laptops, Phones etc etc
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1238 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan
kramer1 wrote: Yup, I would suggest turning off the Wifi on your Rogers Modem. Or maybe keep that modem to have a 2.4 Ghz network (for all the "smart" devices) and the 5Ghz on your Router, for Laptops, Phones etc etc
Ah thank you very much for your help. Kind of a bummer that the shitty rogers modem needs to handle all of the DHCP and such but I guess it would be the easiest possible setup for me. If I disable the wireless how would the ignite TV box's connect to it?
Also something interesting I found in the Rogers thread:

This doesn't apply to Asus specifically, but maybe it will help someone as I spent 7 months before I figured it out.
I've been trying to use the Ignite service with my own router as I hated the Arris XB6 Modem. All I did was put then Rogers Ignite modem in bridging mode and connected my Linksys Router and configured the setup as normal with no special configuration. Then I was able to pair the Ignite boxes via WPS by hitting the button of the bottom on the box and then the WPS on my Linksys router. I figured Rogers would block third party hardware, but it works. Sounds way too easy and too good to be true, but it worked.

I am wondering if my R7000 has this button now lol
Apr 29, 2018
460 posts
255 upvotes
Ofcourse it has the WPS button. Just be sure to turn off PIN-Based WPS Auth, as that is a security loophole. It is the only part of WPS that is really vulnerable tbh.

I have Telus Optik TV working through my Netgear R7800. Worked great with the WPS there. I just had to Turn OFF the "Disable IGMP Proxying" option. Else, the video stream would freeze-up after 30-40 seconds.

Also, if you'd like to avoid having the modem serve as a DHCP, connect it to the WAN port of your Router, but then you will need to change the WAN setup on the Router, have complex port-forwarding setups (if you need it, that is) & also add an extra HOP to the traffic as it will first goto the Router, and then be forwarded to the Modem.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1238 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan
kramer1 wrote: Ofcourse it has the WPS button. Just be sure to turn off PIN-Based WPS Auth, as that is a security loophole. It is the only part of WPS that is really vulnerable tbh.

I have Telus Optik TV working through my Netgear R7800. Worked great with the WPS there. I just had to Turn OFF the "Disable IGMP Proxying" option. Else, the video stream would freeze-up after 30-40 seconds.

Also, if you'd like to avoid having the modem serve as a DHCP, connect it to the WAN port of your Router, but then you will need to change the WAN setup on the Router, have complex port-forwarding setups (if you need it, that is) & also add an extra HOP to the traffic as it will first goto the Router, and then be forwarded to the Modem.
Thank you for your help!
And this method shouldn’t affect the TV?
Apr 29, 2018
460 posts
255 upvotes
The WAN method will affect the TV, as the router is processing all the traffic going through and adding it's own overhead to it. You may need to Turn OFF "Disable IGMP Proxying" on your router for the TV to work.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12923 posts
4595 upvotes
Toronto, ON
marcodt wrote: Hi everyone,
We are switching to the Ignite TV + Internet bundle on Thursday and had a few questions for the experts here on RFD:

1. Do they use a single coaxial cable from the demarc point to the main hub (modem/router)? I assume 1 cable runs into the hub from demarc and another (coax cbl?) from the hub to the main TV with the rest of the boxes being wireless? Trying to prepare for the installation...
2. I am using an R7000 router with MerlinWRT firmware that is currently connected to my bridged Bell home hub modem. Can we put the new rogers hub into bridge/gateway mode or would it mess with the TV services?
3. If #2 is possible, can you briefly explain what config would be required on the MerlinWRT firmware?
My hub would be in the same spot as my R7000 router so I want to disable the WiFi on the rogers hub.

Anything else I should know?
Thanks!
I did the exact upgrade as you back in May and I also have a R7000 with MerlinWRT so I can share my experience. I assume you're getting the Ignite TV/Internet bundle installed by a Rogers technician. In order to install all the equipment and get them registered on Rogers system properly, they will bypass your R7000 router and will install the Rogers Ignite modem as the main router. But don't worry, you can switch everything back to the way you had it after the technician leaves. But for him to install all the equipment (modem & ignite boxes) properly, he needs to bypass your own router.

The way the Ignite cable & internet (and home phone if you are also getting that installed) works is the main coaxial cable coming into the house will get connected into the Rogers Ignite Modem. He will disconnect any switches/splitters/amplifiers that you previously had that split the cable run into the rest of the house. That's not needed anymore. From the Ignite modem, it will create a wifi network that the Ignite boxes will connect to. The technician will set up all the ignite boxes (if you're having more than one installed) and check if the wifi signal is sufficient. If the signal is not strong enough, he will add wifi repeaters to boost the signal at the location where your ignite box will be installed.

To answer your questions #2, once everything is setup and the technician leaves, you will need to switch the Rogers ignite modem to bridged mode if you want to continue using the R7000 as your main router. You should be able to google instructions on how to login and switch the modem to bridge mode. It's pretty straightforward. Once the Rogers modem is in bridged mode, then connect the R7000 router WAN port to the Rogers modem and everything should be back to how you previously had it with Bell. Once your R7000 is back up and running, then you'll need to switch your wifi setting on each Ignite TV box to the R7000 wifi settings. That part should also be straightforward.

If you have Rogers Ignite home phone as well, then the Rogers modem will have a phone plug where you would plug in for phone service.

For #3, there shouldn't need to be any changes to your R7000 configuration.

The only caveat is that if you experience issues with Ignite TV and you call Rogers tech support to troubleshoot, they will not be able to see your Rogers router and ignite boxes because you've switched on bridged mode. So far, I haven't experienced any Ignite TV related issues so that's the good news. But also remember that with the R7000 setup, if you reboot your R7000, your Ignite TV goes down for a few minutes in your household.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1238 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan
rvs007 wrote: I did the exact upgrade as you back in May and I also have a R7000 with MerlinWRT so I can share my experience. I assume you're getting the Ignite TV/Internet bundle installed by a Rogers technician. In order to install all the equipment and get them registered on Rogers system properly, they will bypass your R7000 router and will install the Rogers Ignite modem as the main router. But don't worry, you can switch everything back to the way you had it after the technician leaves. But for him to install all the equipment (modem & ignite boxes) properly, he needs to bypass your own router.

The way the Ignite cable & internet (and home phone if you are also getting that installed) works is the main coaxial cable coming into the house will get connected into the Rogers Ignite Modem. He will disconnect any switches/splitters/amplifiers that you previously had that split the cable run into the rest of the house. That's not needed anymore. From the Ignite modem, it will create a wifi network that the Ignite boxes will connect to. The technician will set up all the ignite boxes (if you're having more than one installed) and check if the wifi signal is sufficient. If the signal is not strong enough, he will add wifi repeaters to boost the signal at the location where your ignite box will be installed.

To answer your questions #2, once everything is setup and the technician leaves, you will need to switch the Rogers ignite modem to bridged mode if you want to continue using the R7000 as your main router. You should be able to google instructions on how to login and switch the modem to bridge mode. It's pretty straightforward. Once the Rogers modem is in bridged mode, then connect the R7000 router WAN port to the Rogers modem and everything should be back to how you previously had it with Bell. Once your R7000 is back up and running, then you'll need to switch your wifi setting on each Ignite TV box to the R7000 wifi settings. That part should also be straightforward.

If you have Rogers Ignite home phone as well, then the Rogers modem will have a phone plug where you would plug in for phone service.

For #3, there shouldn't need to be any changes to your R7000 configuration.

The only caveat is that if you experience issues with Ignite TV and you call Rogers tech support to troubleshoot, they will not be able to see your Rogers router and ignite boxes because you've switched on bridged mode. So far, I haven't experienced any Ignite TV related issues so that's the good news. But also remember that with the R7000 setup, if you reboot your R7000, your Ignite TV goes down for a few minutes in your household.
Wow couldn't have asked for a better response from someone who has experienced it first hand, thank you! I have a few questions considering you have the same setup:
1. You say that their shouldn't be any changes to my R7000 however, it is currently set to PPPoE with Bell so I would likely need to change that to a different configuration, correct?
2. In order to connect the TV boxes to the R7000 would require me to "Hold EXIT for 5 seconds, 'Down Arrow' twice, 9-4-3-4 on the remote and then the Ignite TV boxes will enter WiFi setup so I can connect to any Router chosen"?
3. Does bridge mode on the rogers modem disable wireless as well or does that need to be done manually? I have seen others say that bridge mode does not disable it...
4. I can't remember the exact name of the setting but it's used by iptv and should be disabled on the R7000 I think?

We are just setting up the internet and TV nothing else =)
Thank you!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12923 posts
4595 upvotes
Toronto, ON
marcodt wrote: Wow couldn't have asked for a better response from someone who has experienced it first hand, thank you! I have a few questions considering you have the same setup:
1. You say that their shouldn't be any changes to my R7000 however, it is currently set to PPPoE with Bell so I would likely need to change that to a different configuration, correct?
Yes sorry I never had bell before so I didn't know it would be different. Switch PPPoE to Static IP to get it working with the Rogers Ignite modem.
2. In order to connect the TV boxes to the R7000 would require me to "Hold EXIT for 5 seconds, 'Down Arrow' twice, 9-4-3-4 on the remote and then the Ignite TV boxes will enter WiFi setup so I can connect to any Router chosen"?
I think once the Ignite box is already set up, you can just go into the Settings menu and pick another wifi network on the device.
3. Does bridge mode on the rogers modem disable wireless as well or does that need to be done manually? I have seen others say that bridge mode does not disable it...
I believe bridged mode will disable the wireless function on the Rogers modem.
4. I can't remember the exact name of the setting but it's used by iptv and should be disabled on the R7000 I think?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1238 posts
70 upvotes
Vaughan
rvs007 wrote: Yes sorry I never had bell before so I didn't know it would be different. Switch PPPoE to Static IP to get it working with the Rogers Ignite modem.

I think once the Ignite box is already set up, you can just go into the Settings menu and pick another wifi network on the device.

I believe bridged mode will disable the wireless function on the Rogers modem.
Hello again!
The technician just left and I put the Rogers modem into bridge mode in which the WiFi was working (from my ASUS router) but the TV boxes were not. The main TV has an Ethernet cable going to it so for that one I was able to restart the box with the Ethernet plugged in and it automatically configured itself after about 5 to 10 minutes. The other three boxes will be wireless and after testing the first one, I cannot get passed this screen: https://ibb.co/C5QcxzH
I am wondering if I need to run a long cable for my ASUS router just to get past the screen so I can configure the wireless set up for the boxes?
Also he added a couple of repeaters or something to boost the signal strength for one of the boxes downstairs will that affect anything? Thanks!

EDIT#2: He also insisted that the TV service runs better on a wireless connection as opposed to wired? I find that hard to believe...