Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12711 posts
21928 upvotes

[Rogers] Rogers- Lumia 900 LTE $525 no term - $100 on 3 years.New $100 credit

Confirmation from Phil Schwarzmann, Nokia’s Head of Social Media for North America, has taken to the company blog and stated that “For our friends in Canada – Anyone who has already purchased the Lumia 900 or purchases it from now until April 21st, will be getting a $100 credit on their Rogers bill.”

Rogers link

Can get a Free Xbox 360 with Kinect if you activate 2 smartphones on a couples or family plan .

3-year contract price: $99.99
2-year contract price: $424.99
1-year contract price: $474.99
No-term contract price: $524.99

Lumia 900 review

[IMG]http://mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploa ... 006511.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploa ... 252850.png[/IMG]
121 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2009
1034 posts
35 upvotes
I hear its $450 no contract at AT&T. I believe that's also the LTE version. $525 is not hot at all then. Considering exchange rate and lower taxes, I'd love to pick up the lumia 900 when I'm in the states again.
Dec 3, 2009
481 posts
113 upvotes
Etobicoke
ahbitheman wrote: I hear its $450 no contract at AT&T. I believe that's also the LTE version. $525 is not hot at all then. Considering exchange rate and lower taxes, I'd love to pick up the lumia 900 when I'm in the states again.

This is due to Microsoft "incentive" to AT&T.
People that think about buying it from AT&T and unlocking it...just don't! You will save yourself a headache as AT&T devices have a lot of their services locked. Internet sharing is locked for sure for example and will say "Contact AT&T to enable"...which you can't.

I really want this phone so I'll probably fork out 500 bucks for it.
Feb 8, 2004
95 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I cant believe they still lock features on smartphone.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4813 posts
2540 upvotes
Interested in Windows Phone again, but I'll hold out till WP8 later in the year. No word yet on whether the Lumia devices will be upgraded to it.
Dec 3, 2009
481 posts
113 upvotes
Etobicoke
puredlzz wrote: I cant believe they still lock features on smartphone.

AT&T is notorious for that. Other carriers are not as bad.
Jun 11, 2009
300 posts
41 upvotes
disolitude wrote: AT&T is notorious for that. Other carriers are not as bad.

although i havent decided to go for it, i am eagerly looking how the nokia+ms partnership evolves. i own a lumia710 now and i like it. it would be completely stupid for MS to not support W8 on lumia devices, especially after nokia and ATT have ensured the lumia900 launch to be a lot grander than iphone. i dont think they would like to piss off customers who have paid 500+ to have their devices outdated in less than 6 months!!!

but gos knows whether the OS would actually support it. lumia900 has a multicore processor unlike 700. so maybe its possible to upgrade only the 900. in that case, i would be so disappointed :(
Dec 3, 2009
481 posts
113 upvotes
Etobicoke
bargain_deal wrote: although i havent decided to go for it, i am eagerly looking how the nokia+ms partnership evolves. i own a lumia710 now and i like it. it would be completely stupid for MS to not support W8 on lumia devices, especially after nokia and ATT have ensured the lumia900 launch to be a lot grander than iphone. i dont think they would like to piss off customers who have paid 500+ to have their devices outdated in less than 6 months!!!

but gos knows whether the OS would actually support it. lumia900 has a multicore processor unlike 700. so maybe its possible to upgrade only the 900. in that case, i would be so disappointed :(

I don't see them not supporting the Lumias and I am pretty sure even first gen devices will get somesort of Windows phone 8 update. About 3% of smartphone users use Windows Phone at the moment which is a very small (but dedicated) userbase and microsoft knows that punishing the early adopters by not throwing them a bone is a very bad idea.

Neither Lumias have multicore processors btw. Both are single core. I honestly don't think multicore will be needed, even with Windows 8. Windows Phone OS is designed in a manner that it never takes on more than it can handle CPU wise.
Mar 22, 2008
57 posts
5 upvotes
disolitude wrote: I don't see them not supporting the Lumias and I am pretty sure even first gen devices will get somesort of Windows phone 8 update. About 3% of smartphone users use Windows Phone at the moment which is a very small (but dedicated) userbase and microsoft knows that punishing the early adopters by not throwing them a bone is a very bad idea.

Neither Lumias have multicore processors btw. Both are single core. I honestly don't think multicore will be needed, even with Windows 8. Windows Phone OS is designed in a manner that it never takes on more than it can handle CPU wise.

Since WP7 is based on CE kernel and WP8 will use a modified Win 8 kernel, all bets are off. It will be a matter of how well it performs on a single core cpu. If any of the WP7 phones get the update, the 900 will be among them for sure.

That said I'm buying one outright, unlocking it and using it on Telus. :D
Feb 1, 2008
426 posts
34 upvotes
Calgary
looks like a really good deal.

Just wish some more Samsung Windows Phones, ie. Samsung Focus S, would make their way up here as I think that the specs between the Nokia 900 & Samsung Focus S are pretty much the same - less the LTE and camera

As an aside: been using my Samsung Focus (i917) for over a year and love windows. I had an apple iphone for a couple years prior, got tired of the interface and it seemed so slow. Had a Galaxy, like the look just none of the apps seemed to work right.
Dec 3, 2009
481 posts
113 upvotes
Etobicoke
koshkosh wrote: Since WP7 is based on CE kernel and WP8 will use a modified Win 8 kernel, all bets are off. It will be a matter of how well it performs on a single core cpu. If any of the WP7 phones get the update, the 900 will be among them for sure.

That said I'm buying one outright, unlocking it and using it on Telus. :D

Right.

I don't think they will get the full WP8 update, however just like 3GS and iPhone4 got most of the features from iOS5, I think there will be an 'faux' WP8 update ready for all older handsets still based on CE kernel and giving those users the new features available in WP8.

However you are correct that until MS says something about this, it's only my speculation at this point
Dec 3, 2009
481 posts
113 upvotes
Etobicoke
gwoo_ca wrote: looks like a really good deal.

Just wish some more Samsung Windows Phones, ie. Samsung Focus S, would make their way up here as I think that the specs between the Nokia 900 & Samsung Focus S are pretty much the same - less the LTE and camera

As an aside: been using my Samsung Focus (i917) for over a year and love windows. I had an apple iphone for a couple years prior, got tired of the interface and it seemed so slow. Had a Galaxy, like the look just none of the apps seemed to work right.

I've been using the Samsung Focus as well for over a year and its absolutely amazing. So light yet durable with an amazing screen.

I have it developer unlocked and have I added a 32 GB SD card for total of 40 GB of storage. Side loaded many cool apps like Folders and Root tools and the phone never skips a beat.

People say that Windows Phone is flashy but limited in features but I have this thing logging in to my home PC using RemoteDesktop app and streaming all of my movies and music to me using Plex Media Manager app. Everything works great.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2005
5208 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
thanks op..time to upgrade my samsung focus to 900! $100 for 3 yrs contract..not bad at all! Reviews have been pretty positive so far!
Mar 22, 2008
57 posts
5 upvotes
gwoo_ca wrote: looks like a really good deal.

Same here, I've been using the Focus for the past year and a half and I love it (minus the battery life). Had iPhones since launch and wanted something different.

For my day to day use it beats IOS and Android in my humble opinion. I do hate bing search though. In a perfect world I would have WP OS with google apps :)
Dec 3, 2009
481 posts
113 upvotes
Etobicoke
koshkosh wrote: Same here, I've been using the Focus for the past year and a half and I love it (minus the battery life). Had iPhones since launch and wanted something different.

For my day to day use it beats IOS and Android in my humble opinion. I do hate bing search though. In a perfect world I would have WP OS with google apps :)

On a desktop I would never use Bing, but it seems to work really well on a phone. Has a lot of cool local features like local scout and search results are pretty solid.

One thing people may not know is that if you go to settings->region and language and change region and format and browser and search to English (USA) you get extra search features in Bing like 'Scout' as well as extra navigation features in Maps like 'show traffic' option.
Mar 22, 2008
57 posts
5 upvotes
disolitude wrote: On a desktop I would never use Bing, but it seems to work really well on a phone. Has a lot of cool local features like local scout and search results are pretty solid.

One thing people may not know is that if you go to settings->region and language and change region and format and browser and search to English (USA) you get extra search features in Bing like 'Scout' as well as extra navigation features in Maps like 'show traffic' option.

It still pales in comparison to Google. If they would only allow you to map the search button to the Google app :)
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
2266 posts
325 upvotes
London
Do you think there will be any trouble to buy from Rogers at $525, unlock it and use in Windmobile network?
No external links in signatures.
Mar 22, 2008
57 posts
5 upvotes
koshkosh wrote: It still pales in comparison to Google. If they would only allow you to map the search button to the Google app :)

You can unlock it but the 900 lacks the AWS band you need for 3G data. There are only a couple of WP7 devices that work on AWS.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2322 posts
117 upvotes
ahbitheman wrote: I hear its $450 no contract at AT&T. I believe that's also the LTE version. $525 is not hot at all then. Considering exchange rate and lower taxes, I'd love to pick up the lumia 900 when I'm in the states again.

Good luck using it on any other carrier. $450 is to due the rebate given by Microsoft.
Never the less, $525 is still cheaper than iPhone.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
disolitude wrote: This is due to Microsoft "incentive" to AT&T.
People that think about buying it from AT&T and unlocking it...just don't! You will save yourself a headache as AT&T devices have a lot of their services locked. Internet sharing is locked for sure for example and will say "Contact AT&T to enable"...which you can't.

I really want this phone so I'll probably fork out 500 bucks for it.

Is it locked as in 'the SIM' or the phone ? I have an iPhone which when used a Bell iPad SIM also showing similar message but is able to do tethering when I am using a SO sim. And for the same Bell SIM, I have no problem tether when it is in an Android.

So my guess is, it is a default setting in WP7 to talk with the SIM about tethering(just like iPhone) rather than locked in the phone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)