None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36399 posts
9629 upvotes
East Gwillimbury

Rogers Modem Catches On Fire

[QUOTE]A 38-year-old Guelph, Ont., man says he's lucky his house didn't burn down after his Rogers Hitron modem burst into flames, filling his home with foul-smelling smoke and forcing him and his family to spend the night in a hotel room.

Dennis Barbier said he first noticed that something was wrong at about 5 p.m. Monday after he came home from work and suddenly lost his internet connectivity.

Barbier, who works in IT and repairs computers for the University of Guelph, says he went into the basement, where his family keeps the modem, to investigate. That's when he caught a whiff of burning plastic and noticed that his modem was on fire.

"Like, I'm not talking a small flickering. It was a raging inferno," he said. "Like flames shooting out of it two feet high. It hadn't just caught on fire, it had been burning for some time. There was black soot everywhere. Luckily I do have a fire extinguisher, so I grabbed it and we put the fire out."

'Strange circumstances'

Barbier, who lives with his wife, Mary-Kathryn, their 20-month-old son, John, and their yellow lab, Butters, told his family to get out of the house and call the fire department after he put out the flames.

Guelph Fire Services arrived within a matter of minutes, according to Barbier, and after an initial inspection, firefighters set up a fan in order to ventilate the Barbier's home of smoke and fumes. The fire service followed up with a visit by a fire inspector.

"I was called in to investigate because it was kind of strange circumstances," said Craig Bottomley, a fire inspector with the City of Guelph. He noted he's never seen a modem catch fire in his four years on the job investigating fires in the city.

Bottomley said the official cause remains undetermined, but based on his visit, he thinks the probable source of the flames was the modem.

Rogers modem fire
Barbier says the burning modem could have easily taken his house with it if he hadn't been home. (Dennis Barbier)

Bottomley noted that the modem, which was sitting on top of a computer, may have overheated and caught on fire. Once the modem started burning, he said, pieces of burning plastic fell into an opening in the computer below, causing it to catch fire as well.

"There was nothing suspicious about this fire in my mind," Bottomley said. "It was apparent the computer didn't start the fire. It was right basically where the power plugs into the internet modem."

"In my opinion it was very lucky that the homeowner was there at the time," Bottomley said. "If nobody had been home it would have been a full-fledged house fire.

Barbier said that the computer was on at the time of the fire, and that while he had removed a fan to create an opening in the case, the computer generated very little heat and had a case that was solid aluminum, which is widely used in the computer parts business because of its efficiency at dissipating heat.

"It's not like I just set this up," Barbier said. "I've run it in that configuration for at least two years, 24/seven, 365 [days]."

'House would have burned down, no question'

As for Barbier, he said he's aware of just how lucky he and his family are.

"If it would have started at 9 a.m. our house would have burned down, no question," he said, adding he'd be seeking some compensation from Rogers.
[/QUOTE]

Source:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... -1.3133391

Now we wait for Rogers' social media team to respond.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2887 posts
1037 upvotes
How do we know they didn't set it on fire themselves?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36399 posts
9629 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Phat_cow wrote: How do we know they didn't set it on fire themselves?
Why would they do that? You think people like to damage their own property? Inhale smoke? Risk the life of a 20 month old?
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
428 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
I can't wait for the story where Rogers sends a bill of charges for canceling services early, administrative burning modem fee, default overrage fees, failure to return modem intact fee, etc. :D
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6388 posts
3097 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
CSAgent wrote: I can't wait for the story where Rogers sends a bill of charges for canceling services early, administrative burning modem fee, default overrage fees, failure to return modem intact fee, etc. :D

Definitely this ^^
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3919 posts
1391 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: Definitely this ^^
Well he did take a fan out of his PC, and we all know that causes internet modems to Ignite
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2627 posts
422 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
This sounds exactly like the CSI: Cyber episode! Crazy stuff. I would imagine that this is a one-off, but still not a good look for Hitron to be making their future modems Im sure. Or Rogers might get a nice discount now going forward :lol:
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1659 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
cyphon21 wrote: This sounds exactly like the CSI: Cyber episode! Crazy stuff. I would imagine that this is a one-off, but still not a good look for Hitron to be making their future modems Im sure. Or Rogers might get a nice discount now going forward :lol:
I still can't believe CSI: Cyber is actually real..
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
And now it's pretty likely that the Rogers Hitron modem underperforms because it's constantly overheating =_=
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2627 posts
422 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
av3n wrote: I still can't believe CSI: Cyber is actually real..
It's not That bad :lol: ...
Jul 7, 2012
284 posts
51 upvotes
Kanata
Now the person who came up with the internet service name "Ignite" at Rogers must feel proud...

<serious_note>
I am going to put extra cooling for my Hitron modem...
This sounds scary...
</serious_note>
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2937 posts
425 upvotes
Montreal
I think it's time they thought of adding an extra smoke detector in the basement because they probably would've been alerted sooner of the incident if they didn't already have one
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
Borisnet wrote: Now the person who came up with the internet service name "Ignite" at Rogers must feel proud...

<serious_note>
I am going to put extra cooling for my Hitron modem...
This sounds scary...
</serious_note>
They got a faulty modem. Electronics don't burst into flames like that. Something properly shorted inside the power supply or modem.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
Rogers should use this to start a "Blazing fast internet" marketing campaign.
Jul 7, 2012
284 posts
51 upvotes
Kanata
Dinujan wrote: They got a faulty modem. Electronics don't burst into flames like that. Something properly shorted inside the power supply or modem.
Ok true but I hope it is an isolated case and not a fault that has affected many units...
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7664 posts
4365 upvotes
Debtario
Rogers burns your wallet and now your house too. Don't get burned!
Cas77 wrote: Rogers should use this to start a "Blazing fast internet" marketing campaign.
+1. And make sure some random NHL guy yells "HOLY SMOKES!" at some point.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)