• Apr 10th, 2018 10:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2119 posts
1220 upvotes
Etobicoke

Rogers number not receiving Google 2 step verification code

I recently change my sister's line from virgin mobile to rogers. She has $20 canadawide talk and text plan with rogers.

She clear cookies on her laptop yesterday. So when she is trying to login on her laptop google is asking for averification code. But she is not getting any code . It was working perfectly before .

I called rogers and they are blaming it on google. Technical support agent is claiming that its working fine. Its a problem with her gmail account. I tried to add her phone number on my gmail as a backup number and its still not working.

She does not have any backup phone number or extra codes to login.

Does anyone had similar situation with rogers?

Luckily she can access her account on her phone with the gmail app. But from app she cannot change those setting.s
7 replies
Aug 1, 2007
692 posts
66 upvotes
Do you know what the short code number is that it's suppose to be coming from?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4497 posts
1804 upvotes
GTA
Does she use an Android phone? If so, can she go to settings > Google > sign in & security

And try the security code there or see if you can change settings there
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2119 posts
1220 upvotes
Etobicoke
Killer_Saves wrote: Do you know what the short code number is that it's suppose to be coming from?
From 22000 number
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2119 posts
1220 upvotes
Etobicoke
Dave98 wrote: Does she use an Android phone? If so, can she go to settings > Google > sign in & security

It works on my phone. I will try onher phone once i go home. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2119 posts
1220 upvotes
Etobicoke
Dave98 wrote: Does she use an Android phone? If so, can she go to settings > Google > sign in & security

So i got the code for my sister's account and when i enter those codes, it says that this code is invalid. Its looking for a code that sent to her cell phone.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4497 posts
1804 upvotes
GTA
Tough situation without backup codes. Have you tried the Rogers sim in a different phone to see if you can receive the text?

I guess the last resort would be trying to recover the account with Googles recovery form
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185834?hl=en

I don't like sms has a two factor method. TOTP using an app like Google Authenticator, Authy, andOTP, Authenticator Plus, etc. are more secure and reliable. Also, always a good idea to keep backup codes locked up somewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2012
2119 posts
1220 upvotes
Etobicoke
Dave98 wrote: Tough situation without backup codes. Have you tried the Rogers sim in a different phone to see if you can receive the text?

I guess the last resort would be trying to recover the account with Googles recovery form
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185834?hl=en

I don't like sms has a two factor method. TOTP using an app like Google Authenticator, Authy, andOTP, Authenticator Plus, etc. are more secure and reliable. Also, always a good idea to keep backup codes locked up somewhere.
Account recovery is an option too. But i am.not sure if she will loose her old data or nit with recovery and it will take 3-5 business days to get an answer from google.
Went to rogers store and they escalate the issue to level 2 support. They will get back to us within 24 hours.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)