Computers & Electronics

Is rogers the only decent internet now (fiber)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2015 3:07 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3247 posts
578 upvotes
GTA

Is rogers the only decent internet now (fiber)

Always avoided rogers but it seems they are the only ones with the best internet, 250 unlimited for 3months at $70, then $95. Any news on when companies like teksavvy will have fiber with the recent crtc decision?
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12648 posts
4259 upvotes
Ontario
Well I dont think Rogers is fiber they still use RG6 cable. However their backbone is probabyl fiber like all other companies (so no difference there)

However Bell has announced to run Fiber to the home I think to Toronto in the next few years - http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2 ... ernet.html

So because of this companies like Teksavvy will have access to this network due to recent hearings from the CRTC.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20364 posts
6540 upvotes
Toronto
Just a note that the speeds are not guaranteed. There has been occasion that Rogers cable has been slow during peak times, despite the advertised fast speeds. That said, it seems to be more of a problem of third parties using Rogers' network than Rogers themselves.

Personally though I don't really care if my top speed is 250 Mbps or not. More important is the consistency, and the monthly data usage limit. So for me, either VDSL2 (Bell) or cable (Rogers) would be fine, as long as the speed is 25 Mbps or higher, and the monthly limit is 300 GB or higher.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
sickcars wrote: Well I dont think Rogers is fiber they still use RG6 cable. However their backbone is probabyl fiber like all other companies (so no difference there)

However Bell has announced to run Fiber to the home I think to Toronto in the next few years - http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2 ... ernet.html

So because of this companies like Teksavvy will have access to this network due to recent hearings from the CRTC.
1. Both Bell and Rogers currently have fibre to the home

2. RG6 coax can deliver 10gig on DOCSIS 3.1 standard

3. Bell hasn't done anything other than state what they hope to do. Why? Because Rogers announced the purchase of Mobilicity and they were trying to steal their thunder. Public perception is low unless you keep on announcing new endeavours or accomplishments.

4. How is Bell going to deliver the worlds fastest internet of 900+ when Google fibre tops that.

5. Read this: http://stopthecap.com/2015/04/02/comcas ... y-qualify/
Jul 7, 2012
281 posts
50 upvotes
Kanata
jarko wrote: Always avoided rogers but it seems they are the only ones with the best internet, 250 unlimited for 3months at $70, then $95. Any news on when companies like teksavvy will have fiber with the recent crtc decision?
Usual question is where are you located?
I, too, reluctantly, moved to Rogers for the Infinite250 and so far so good.
I had 3 different days in the last 3 months during which I experienced issues. On one day, the outage was for a full day but affected a large part of the neighbourhood's cable plant (both video and internet were down).
They refunded me at a prorata of the duration of the outage - not much but just had to ask to get it.
On two occasions in the evening, I experienced brief routing issues (had horrible RTT of 2000ms for less than 3 minutes).

It is residential after all so...

There seems to be changing a bit in terms of customer relationship.

Teksavvy only offers 100Mb nowadays - no idea if/when they will offer more.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5845 posts
2101 upvotes
Space
Rogers is the most reliable and stable IMO. At least in my area.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2697 posts
311 upvotes
Scarborough
Solsearchin1 wrote: Rogers is the most reliable and stable IMO. At least in my area.
I can say the same for my area..so far good...Im on the 250mb/20mb package...
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1539 posts
59 upvotes
Too bad Teksavvy can't offer Fiber in these new buildings that have Fiber to the home, and we are stuck with Robbers and Bell instead, with their download limits, and now I don't have a choice but to pay twice as much each month for my usage.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)