• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2015 8:04 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 14, 2007
118 posts
4 upvotes
Thank God for this thread. I almost joined but had hesitations. Every sales pitch tried and failed, I promised I would "think" about it. All I wanted to do was do some online research OR ask a few people who do use it. They can't give me one single person who used it? I don't get that - why can't I talk to other customers and see how much value this actually brings?

Big meh, and big disappointment.
Oct 14, 2013
4 posts
2 upvotes
, AB
To clarify for anyone who's been confused by Rogers - Rogers actually purchased a piece of software out of the USA called 'yodle' and are re-selling it under the name 'Rogers Outrank'. Unfortunately, their pitches are a little misleading because they're actually selling SEM (search engine marketing, also known as Google AdWords) as opposed to SEO, but rely heavily on outbound calls to generate sales.

If you are in fact in the Alberta / Edmonton, there are a few reputable SEO companies as Glikoe had mentioned, including Whitespark.

SOURCE - I'm the business development officer at Adster Creative, an Online Marketing / SEO Agency based out of Edmonton.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1068 posts
231 upvotes
AndrewForster wrote: To clarify for anyone who's been confused by Rogers - Rogers actually purchased a piece of software out of the USA called 'yodle' and are re-selling it under the name 'Rogers Outrank'. Unfortunately, their pitches are a little misleading because they're actually selling SEM (search engine marketing, also known as Google AdWords) as opposed to SEO, but rely heavily on outbound calls to generate sales.

If you are in fact in the Alberta / Edmonton, there are a few reputable SEO companies as Glikoe had mentioned, including Whitespark.

SOURCE - I'm the business development officer at Adster Creative, an Online Marketing / SEO Agency based out of Edmonton.
I recommend ReachLocal, they have a new solution for webdesign called ReachEdge it is pretty interesting on how it tracks and converts visitors. * I don't work there *
Oct 14, 2013
4 posts
2 upvotes
, AB
masalma wrote: I recommend ReachLocal, they have a new solution for webdesign called ReachEdge it is pretty interesting on how it tracks and converts visitors. * I don't work there *
It depends what you're after. For the most part, ReachLocal 'mirors' your website, and runs paid traffic to it. Problem with this, is if your website has a low conversion rate, this isn't really helping much. Plus, with ReachLocal & Rogers OutRank you don't own anything, nor do you get much in terms of keyword data. If you decide to leave them, the campaign stays with them so you're stuck.
Nov 18, 2007
42 posts
Toronto
^ lol its pretty obvious that that you work for "whitespark" dont hijack the thread
Oct 14, 2013
4 posts
2 upvotes
, AB
wayt wrote: ^ lol its pretty obvious that that you work for "whitespark" dont hijack the thread
To clarify, I'm not hi-jacking this thread - but there are some uninformed individuals as to what the difference between SEO & SEM is, so I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Also, I work at Adster Creative, not Whitespark, I was just mentioning that Whitespark is a great agency if you're in the Edmonton area.
Nov 6, 2013
1 posts
Toronto, ON
flafson wrote: It means that you don't know how they work or you didn't ask the right questions.
The amount of money they take for themselves doesn't change, the only thing that change is the budget you allocate to AdWords. If you ask for a breakdown of those $1000 it will say something like $300 to Rogers and $700 to AdWords. The $500 will show $300 to Rogers and $200 to AdWords.
They plan on telling you that you're getting so many leads that you need to increase the budget which makes sense because if you pay for PPC yourself you will know that if you give it a $10 budget you will get 10 clicks and if you get it a $20 budget you will get 20 clicks (assuming $1 per click)
They probably take a small premium from the AdWords too but no idea how that works.
You are 100% Incorrect. I know for a fact that Rogers takes at least 40% of your "spend" as a fee, and they get a 7% kick back from Google. The more money you spend as an advertiser with Rogers Outrank, the more you guy punished by their % of spend. If you spend $1000 with Rogers they t $400, if you spend $2000 its $800 etc...same goes for Yellow Pages and ReachLocal

Your best options is to look for a Google Partner that charges a fixed rate. That way they don't care how much your spend with Google, and there best interest is you!
Feb 15, 2014
2 posts
I have been in the industry for many years and have been dealing with Adwords since they began in Canada and have certification from Google.

Firstly Rogers Outrank does NOT do SEO in the purist sense. They only make THEIR websites that they build for their customers SEO ready or SEO friendly. That is all. SEO requires a consistent and ongoing monthly process including linking, directory submissions, article creation and blog development. ROGERS OUTRANK DOES NOT DO THIS!

Their website that promotes SEO is misleading.

ALL they do primarily is sell GOOGLE ADWORDS. There is a 50% management fee on these campaigns. 50% of the budget goes to Rogers and the rest goes into buying Adwords.

From my experience doing Adwords is not optimum. The reason for this is that only about 10-15% of clicks go to the top of the Google page. 92% of searches, on average, happen in the Organic links of Google UNDER the Adwords. This means that if your website is not in the TOP FOUR organic links on page one then it is unlikely that you will get a click into the adword either. You may get one or two clicks but that will be it.

Now factor in the rates for some keywords for Google Adwords and you will be shocked at how little you get for your money. Some keywords cost anywhere from $10-$30 per click. How does a small business deal with this escpecially since one or two of those clicks may be your competitors clicking on the ad.

My advice to many here is that you should do SEO first and then worry about getting yourself found for the keywords you want to be found for in the organic links. Past this you should wait until you are on the first page before doing Google Adwords.

How else do you think Google made $15 BILLION in the last 3 months? Adwords work but only under special circumstances.

PM me if you need help....Good luck to all.
Jul 10, 2005
763 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
As I understand it, the S in SEO stands for SEARCH, meaning SEO is geared to make a site show better in organic (unpaid) searches.
This is completely different from online ads management, geared to improve performance of paid ads.

I'm skeptical of any person or company that mixes SEO and Adwords, or uses one topic to sell the other.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7023 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
^^ True

Not to mention Google will quite happily 'guide' you to a better adwords campaign free of charge should you ever wish to use their services.
Oct 14, 2013
4 posts
2 upvotes
, AB
dani_toronto wrote: As I understand it, the S in SEO stands for SEARCH, meaning SEO is geared to make a site show better in organic (unpaid) searches.
This is completely different from online ads management, geared to improve performance of paid ads.

I'm skeptical of any person or company that mixes SEO and Adwords, or uses one topic to sell the other.
You're correct sir.

SEO = Search Engine Optimization
SEM = Search Engine Marketing

Depending on who you talk to in the 'industry' it means different things to different people, however SEM focuses on paid ads using Google AdWords and is what Rogers Outrank sells. Unfortunately, clients get confused and think they're getting SEO, when in fact it's only the sponsored listings that they appear in.
May 1, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
We fully agree that Rogers OutRank is a complete scam. They create a page for your business but rarely optimize it. They actually revealed to me that they optimize it once within the first 30 days and then again at day 40. We are paying about $7/click for non-competitive terms. Consumers will be much better off monitoring their own Google / Bing ad spend. Specific issues with Rogers OutRank:
1. They recycle the telephone numbers so if someone saved a number from a previous client they may be calling you for a business other than your own.
2. Diminished branding as they create a new url for you based on SEO. Consumers are better off using their own branding and generating long-term business.
3. They aren't optimizing key words with any level of frequency. If you're not optimizing regularly this equivalent to just throwing money away.
4. So 45 days in and we have not received a single lead from Rogers Outrank.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7595 posts
880 upvotes
Waterloo
they called me today i knew anything from rogers is a scam he has a schedule call with me tomorrow but wont answer ! wasted my 20 minute
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4052 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
Wow you lost 20 minutes of your life from these robbers!

Just spend your hard earned money on a proper seo company. Best money ever spent knowing your site is always on the 1st page of Google.
Nov 7, 2004
784 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Someone called me last week about this and he was definitely able to intrigue me...so much so that I agreed to a presentation call for today. I didnt remember the name of the offering (Outrank) so I didnt do any research prior, but as he started doing his little presentation this morning, I decided to google "Rogers Outrank" about 10 minutes into his presentation.

I knew he was going to try and sell me during this call, and honestly, there were points where I was quite impressed with what he was telling me that I thought to myself, "is there a possibility for me to buy this service today?". Well good thing I googled this when I did because it caused me to become a little more skeptical. I'm not really well versed in the online marketing world whatsoever so what the sales guy telling "sounded" pretty amazing and was really tempting. But after reading the first few experiences and explanations on what it is they really do i took a step back and decided immediately that i would need to do some more research no matter how much of a discount this guy gave me on the first call.

Thanks RFD! You all probably saved me a bunch of money!
Aug 15, 2014
1 posts
Point Leamington, NL
I signed up for Outrank based on representations from them of being on the first page of searches in the area of my business (legal services) with banner placements. It was represented I would generate new business. I was consistently on the third page or lower when searching my category on Google and always lower than my own web site. The banners only appeared when I typed in the actual name of my business. This of course defeats the purpose of the banner as I am paying for a banner when the person was going to contact me anyway. It was huge waste of my time and money. I received no new business from it and my own web site was always higher ranking in web searches. I would strongly recommend you avoid this service.
Sep 1, 2014
1 posts
York, ON
Thank you for the post. They just contacted me to try to set our law firm up with Rogers Outrank. Sounded too good to be true with promises of generating new clients, etc. I have an appointment for a presentation next week, but will now approach it with caution.
May 18, 2008
185 posts
69 upvotes
Victoria
They keep trying to contact me and wasted 40 minutes of my busy day on their sales pitch which totally does not work for my business and I told this upfront to the sales guy....very aggressive on the phone. I can't believe they are associated with Rogers, makes me want to cancel my Rogers cellphone service.
Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker @ Fair Realty, Victoria, BC - "I believe in a competitive marketplace and real estate commissions should be no exception."
Aug 7, 2007
78 posts
3 upvotes
Has anyone received any money back from this company? I signed up for 1 year then realized how ***** it is... worst website ever, can't customize anything. You have to contact customer service for any editing done on your website. Total scam.
Aug 7, 2007
78 posts
3 upvotes
Just so you all know, paid $750 for the website to be created only to find out its made by a 6 year old and no way of getting a refund. The interactive GoToPC meeting via phone was completely different than what they mentioned.