Cell Phones

Rogers phone upgrade only at retail stores??

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2011 3:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 12, 2005
732 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers phone upgrade only at retail stores??

I've been a Rogers customer for a while now and never had the sales rep tell me to go to the store and ask them for the HUP. I've called several times to inquire about upgrades as I am at the end of the 3 year term and looking to get an upgrade. But every time, they keep telling me "Sorry, we can't give you the HUP over the phone. You will have to visit the a Rogers store location."

Now I"m not new to Rogers and I've done several HUP through the phone before. Is there other people that's getting this story from Rogers sales rep as well? I find it hard to believe that they don't do HUP over the phone now. Do they log in the number of times you called for upgrade info and then after so many calls, they start ignoring you?? :mad:

I'm pretty much at my thread with Rogers. I cancel the cable service because it was so expensive. I'm also considering canceling internet because their bandwidth limit is so low and now I'm considering switching cell phone services now as well because they have no customer service and is ignoring long term customers. I guess they must feel that one customer can be easily ignored. So it'll be one customer less for them I guess.

Anybody has comments feel free to post.
5 replies
Jun 1, 2011
294 posts
29 upvotes
Winnipeg
We had the same problem with them last night. My gf is in the a similar situation, she got off the phone with them and told me how they told her to go to the store. I was like WTF?? These lazy bastards....
Im with Telus and though their not perfect, they've never told me something so stupid. So I called Rogers up and nicely asked what her options were, and again, this time a lady told me the exact same thing. I asked them if the information was on their system, she paused and stuttered but finally said yes. So I asked her if she could look it up for me. With a couple huge lazy sighs, she finally did.
Boy were we unimpressed, my gf's now considering cancelling after her contract is up.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2005
732 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know I'm not the only one. But it's still so out of this world.

Are they doing this because people are posting instructions on RFD how to get an HUP deal from Rogers?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10869 posts
3069 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Corporate change last July. No more CSR phone orders. The reason they give internally is that customers are much less likely to return a device if they spoke to a salesperson in the store rather than if they ordered it over the phone. They claim higher satisfaction, etc. IMO, the real reason is that they have better success with upselling customers in store than over the phone.

The retentions dept is still able to do over the phone orders.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Oct 12, 2005
732 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
So if that's the case, then I should probably just call to cancel and get to the retentions department who can arrange for a better deal and a HUP.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10869 posts
3069 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
deals newbie wrote: So if that's the case, then I should probably just call to cancel and get to the retentions department who can arrange for a better deal and a HUP.

yup.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada