Credit Cards

Rogers Platinum MC (1.00% CB, 3% - net 0.50% Foreign CB) - Changes coming June 2nd, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2020 7:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2016
1092 posts
397 upvotes
toronto
blackart wrote: Unless Rogers could always waive the annual fee or you purchase a lot over country. Otherwise I thought Amazon will be a better option.

not that much, break-even is at $3800, and that's not counting the usually better conversion rates for MC over visa... but i'll likely have both next time i leave
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
blackart wrote: Unless Rogers could always waive the annual fee or you purchase a lot over country. Otherwise I thought Amazon will be a better option.
Or you shop at costco and don't have the costco capital one mastercard since visa isn't accepted in-store.

This, and the rejection from tangerine, is what convinced me to get the rogers mc as we spend at least around $1,500 a year at costco so that almost negates the annual fee and supplementary cars are free.

This reminds me that I haven't received my $35 bonus.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3199 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: This reminds me that I haven't received my $35 bonus.
Give them a secure message. That's what I did when the right bonus didn't show up.
Nov 29, 2014
680 posts
80 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC
foreigncontent wrote: not that much, break-even is at $3800, and that's not counting the usually better conversion rates for MC over visa... but i'll likely have both next time i leave

Your comparing it to a straight 1 percent card. Many cards give 2% on some items and one gives 1.25% on all items. If you make many large purchases (i.e. your a home owner, go on many trips, etc) every year this card would likely make sense. Otherwise it would be much harder for this card to show its worth each year (one might see a few dollars profit one year and than lose that profit the next).
I play the video games H2, WC3. I bank with low fee or no fee banks like Implicity. If you got questions ask.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3199 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon card gives 1% on non-Amazon purchases. So, the $3800 is correct. If you are someone who spend more then $3800 outside Canada, the Rogers MC is a much better card.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14756 posts
5825 upvotes
Gatineau
Troydabes wrote: Amazon card gives 1% on non-Amazon purchases. So, the $3800 is correct. If you are someone who spend more then $3800 outside Canada, the Rogers MC is a much better card.
Yup, this is the reason why I'm sticking with the Amazon card. I don't spend the $3866 annually that is needed in non-Canadian transactions to make the Rogers MC better than Amazon.

And I also have the no annual fees version of the MBNA RWE that gets me 2% on all Canadian transactions.

djino
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
djino wrote: Yup, this is the reason why I'm sticking with the Amazon card. I don't spend the $3866 annually that is needed in non-Canadian transactions to make the Rogers MC better than Amazon.

And I also have the no annual fees version of the MBNA RWE that gets me 2% on all Canadian transactions.

djino
Curious if you shop at Costco in Canada and if so, what MasterCard you use that gives you better than 1.75% back? I assume the MBNA Rewards WE?

For us, having a good go-to card usable in Canada Costco was the LARGEST benefit by far. Also, paying bills that usually yield 1% was another good use of the card.

Comparing the MBNA WE to the Rogers MC is as follows:

MBNA : $89 fee ( waived first year ).
2% back.

Rogers: $39 fee ( waived first year, and subsequent years if you pay Fido/Rogers bill with it )
1.75% back.

Break even points

If you're paying fees on both cards:

The MBNA WE will give you an additional 0.25% after $20,000 spend ( $25 more for every $10,000 )

If you're getting the Rogers Fee waived:

You'll need to spend $36,000 annually to break even using the MBNA MC WE.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
14756 posts
5825 upvotes
Gatineau
atomiton wrote: Curious if you shop at Costco in Canada and if so, what MasterCard you use that gives you better than 1.75% back?
um, the very card you quoted in my post above. MBNA RWE Mastercard provides me 2% on all purchases (including Costco).

djino
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
Yes, I hit send to soon. I was updating my post to reflect that.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
atomiton wrote: Yes, I hit send to soon. I was updating my post to reflect that.
I think Djino's got the grandfathered one with no annual fees.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4006 upvotes
BC
alanbrenton wrote: I think Djino's got the grandfathered one with no annual fees.
Ya, that.

The $0-fee version is no comparison to the $89-version :)
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3102 posts
1515 upvotes
ace604 wrote: Ya, that.

The $0-fee version is no comparison to the $89-version :)
Very nice! I was going to apply for that card for a while and never got around to it before they cancelled the card. Other than the annual fee... are there other benefits?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3199 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
atomiton wrote: Very nice! I was going to apply for that card for a while and never got around to it before they cancelled the card. Other than the annual fee... are there other benefits?
24/7 Concierge and the price protection. That's basically only the benefits of this card.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
Troydabes wrote: Give them a secure message. That's what I did when the right bonus didn't show up.
Do we get 10,000 Rogers Platinum Rewards welcome points? Can this be converted to a $35 offset against my credit card purchases?
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3199 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: Do we get 10,000 Rogers Platinum Rewards welcome points? Can this be converted to a $35 offset against my credit card purchases?
Yeah, after your first purchase. Yes it will. The points will show the equivalent $. I don't why there are points in the first place.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4006 upvotes
BC
Troydabes wrote: Yeah, after your first purchase. Yes it will. The points will show the equivalent $. I don't why there are points in the first place.
How it all went down ...

(Rogers meeting room)

"Everyone else uses points, we need to use points"
"Ya, good idea, but let's do it different so it's more confusing and people think they're getting lots of points"
"Ya, good idea, lets do *FIVE* points earned per dollar and 10 points is worth 3.5c"
"Make it so"

... (time passes) ...

"These points are so confusing nobody can tell what they are worth"
"Ya, let's just show the dollar value instead of the points"
"Good idea"
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1571 posts
613 upvotes
TBD
I must say I really like this card. I will get my cashback paid out on a monthly basis automatically which is nice.

I agree though, the point system is unnecessarily complicated.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
I was already researching for a related rogers service that will cost less than $29/year to preauthorize payment to.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3199 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: I was already researching for a related rogers service that will cost less than $29/year to preauthorize payment to.
Are you planning to make this card your main? If not, why not just get amazon visa? You don't have to worry about the annual fee.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54664 posts
19456 upvotes
Troydabes wrote: Are you planning to make this card your main? If not, why not just get amazon visa? You don't have to worry about the annual fee.
We have the Amazon (wife's).

Can't use at Costco and the .75% CB is almost double that of the Amazon's.

No issue coughing up $29 for the card but I can get the fee lowered, why not? :) I am on tbaytel for wireless and eBox for DSL internet; no budget for cable tv.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)