Expired Hot Deals

[Rogers] Pre-Order the Huawei P20 Pro on select 2yr term + get the Huawei MediaP

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2018 6:09 am
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
2616 posts
2093 upvotes
Ottawa
deal_king wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 8:13 pm
You obviously have not been reading the news. The P20 Pro has a DXO score of 114 for photos. The next phone is around 15 points away. Pretty much every expert reviewer has concluded that they have leaped two generations ahead of any other phone on the market.

This has never been done before, which is why they are getting so much attention. Phone makers usually have incremental updates, not such huge leaps ahead.
> Mentions DXO score, like the other person before him, as a crux of his argument
> Claims the phone is two years ahead of any other phone, yet when you look at comparisons between the P20 Pro, P2XL, iPhone X and S9+, the P20 Pro only wins in certain situations.

Please people, for your own sakes, do your own research before you buy into the device just because some people take DXO score as their bible.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2097 posts
1501 upvotes
freeloader247 wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 7:49 pm
Huawei, Google and Android suck ass. Was scammed on the 6P; purchased a iPhone and never looked back.
So, because of your ONE experience, with ONE device you've based ALL future decisions on that alone?

Are you just trolling, or are you serious?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1771 posts
782 upvotes
Montreal
cdxliv wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 7:46 pm
The p20 pro blows the pixel 2 XL out of the water on all fronts. The inclusion of a notch is frustrating but the ridiculously good camera along with a massive battery more than makes up for the design flaw. I have had the Mate 9 the Mate 10 pro, both of which had high quality builds and amazing performance.
I had the Pixel XL and just changed to the S9+. It feels like a step down in terms of software. Pure Android is a real treat in comparison even though the S9 has better hardware.
splatapus wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 8:06 pm
My Huawei honor 8 (phone from 2016) has gotten 2 updates within the last month.
How fast are the updates compared to other phone makers? How close is the software to stock Android?
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
2616 posts
2093 upvotes
Ottawa
repatch wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 8:17 pm
dxomark.... lets just say you shouldn't use that as your primary source for comparisons

dxomark bases it's ratings on many factors, and while their weighting is "kept confidential", it is clear that some of those factors may be far less important to you then others. While it might serve as a "jumping point", PLEASE don't base a purchasing decision on those numbers alone.
It's the only statistic people can use when they don't have any other hard evidence to back up.

If my posts would ever get approved... HINT HINT MODS. You'd know my opinion of DXO is very low. It's like someone claiming metacritic scores and using a higher score as a reason to justify one specific game is better than another.

That's just throwing sand for the sake of throwing sand. It doesn't work that way. Every single person on the planet is going to view phones differently. For various reasons. Everybody has different needs.

It is pretty funny though how the Pixel 2 has only one camera, and it's still the best (objectively speaking) camera out there because of Google's rock solid software. Whereas the P20 Pro has three cameras and only SOMETIMES takes better photos. Depending on certain situations.

The P20 Pro often over exposes photos. If people took 5 minutes to research, they'd see the horrible exposure problem for themselves...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
1771 posts
782 upvotes
Montreal
The real question is if the Pixel 3 camera will be better than the P20 Pro. Google sells the Pixel by promoting the camera as being the best available.

I'm kind of excited that the Pixel 3 might have a triple camera now.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Jun 4, 2017
31 posts
3 upvotes
Nexus 4 still to this day has a camera bug that causes the device to crash and reboot. Google closes this bug every time a ticket is opened and refuses to accept responsibility for it.
Nexus 5 had a sticky power button the caused boot loop like symptoms rendering the device unusable. Google refused to accept responsibility.
6P 5X boot loops faulty batteries ect...

I ain't trolling bby gurl I've owned A LOT of Google devices.
Jun 4, 2017
31 posts
3 upvotes
>Say hi to the rest of the heard.

Trust me I used to be an Android fanboy too. Thought it was the best thing in the world and followed all the new released religiously. It wasn't until I actually experienced a modern iPhone with Apples custom silicon and support that I realized just poor of a experience Android is. My friends who are actually iPhone fanboys made fun of me for using a IPhone because I used to be so against Apple before. Experiencing both platforms let me leave the heard and go to the superior platform.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4959 posts
2558 upvotes
repatch wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 8:17 pm
dxomark.... lets just say you shouldn't use that as your primary source for comparisons

dxomark bases it's ratings on many factors, and while their weighting is "kept confidential", it is clear that some of those factors may be far less important to you then others. While it might serve as a "jumping point", PLEASE don't base a purchasing decision on those numbers alone.
Indeed, although the P20 Pro and the P20 do have a great camera, Dxomark ratings mean very little, because they tend to overrate the manufacturers that they have business partnerships with, and penalize those that don't.

They have 98 to the HTC 10 when it was inferior to the camera of most flagships.
They gave 83 to the LG V30.
They gave 97 to the Huawei Mate 10 Pro when all the youtubers agreed it was nowhere near as good as other flagships.

But the most ridiculous was when they gave a whopping 68 to the Nokia 8. Sure, it hasn't one of the best cameras. But to rank it among the bottom of the barrel is simply ridiculous.

And as for the P20 Pro, look at reviews and camera comparisons on YouTube. People are actually saying that the S9 and the Pixel 2 are superior, despite the hype.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2014
1154 posts
97 upvotes
I'm eyeing the P20 Pro cos it comes in a dual-sim version, good low-light camera performance and 4000mAH battery.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
1023 posts
551 upvotes
North York
Interested in buying this but have a great phone plan already. What's the best place to get it outright
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4228 posts
556 upvotes
freeloader247 wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 8:52 pm
>Say hi to the rest of the heard.

Trust me I used to be an Android fanboy too. Thought it was the best thing in the world and followed all the new released religiously. It wasn't until I actually experienced a modern iPhone with Apples custom silicon and support that I realized just poor of a experience Android is. My friends who are actually iPhone fanboys made fun of me for using a IPhone because I used to be so against Apple before. Experiencing both platforms let me leave the heard and go to the superior platform.
I switched to an iPhone X after being a lifetime Android user and I've never looked back. Don't know why I didn't make the switch earlier, iPhone is a significantly better experience IMO. I have an S9 for work so I use the phones side-by-side and I still prefer iPhone.
Feb 14, 2011
76 posts
24 upvotes
Canada
The Pro has a great camera. Video (4K) is terrible. No SD card slot either. Only problems with this phone, otherwise for photos, its great.
Jun 7, 2017
404 posts
509 upvotes
New Brunswick
So they have the software buttons, yet slap a big physical home button on the front?

And only one speaker grill facing down. Nice.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2097 posts
1501 upvotes
Kherani wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 9:50 pm
I switched to an iPhone X after being a lifetime Android user and I've never looked back. Don't know why I didn't make the switch earlier, iPhone is a significantly better experience IMO. I have an S9 for work so I use the phones side-by-side and I still prefer iPhone.
The iPhone can be a better choice for many people, if you can afford it.

That said, as long as you are doing what Apple expects you to do with your device you're good. The moment you try to do "something different" (yup, there's a bit of irony there) you start to bump into frustrations.

Things as simple as sending the FULL VERSION of a large video can be monumentally frustrating (the phone keeps wanting to size reduce it). The corollary of this in the Android space is things just error out (i.e. can't send MMS because video is too large).

The fact is, just like many other things out there, what is BEST for a person depends on the person. The iPhone is a "significantly better experience" for you, but as a blanket statement? No chance.

For me, having a good extent of experience with both, Android is "better", it works in ways that match my thought processes better, and gives me flexibility in areas that just don't exist in the iPhone world. Add to that there is FAR more hardware choice out there in Android space (I can't live without a phone that has a super wide camera).