Cell Phones

Roger's retentions won't budge what should I do?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2015 11:43 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2010
65 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston

Roger's retentions won't budge what should I do?

So I've been with Rogers for 3 years and that's ending this June. Currently I have unlimted calling and all the small stuff that normally applies as well as 2gb all on a share plan that work's out to around $145/month.

I called retentions and talked about cancelling and all they could offer me was basically everything I have now but they'll add an extra gb so I'd have 3gb in total but it would cost me an extra $10/month.

I plan on calling them back for the last time to ask when exactly I need to cancel by so that I won't be billed after my contract is up and I'm hoping they'll finally offer me something better since we only use around 100-200 calling minutes a month we don't need unlimited but I'm not about to pay out $160/month for the next two years only to get 3gb of data and a couple new $0 phones.

Any help with what I should do?

Thanks very much
14 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10749 posts
4007 upvotes
Keep calling. I'm going through this right now and have gone through it every 3 years for the past 15. They eventually offer more but you need to be persistent.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23363 posts
4816 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Just go with public mobile instead. They're on the Telus network and at a much better price. $145 a month is insane.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
Do you use the 2GB of data?

I was with Telus and ended a 3 year contract in December. Their retention department wouldn't offer me anything either so I switched to Zoomer Wireless (that is under Cityfone which is owned by Rogers). At the time Zoomer was offering double airtime / data on a two year term. The package I took included 400 minutes anytime Canada-wide, unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited international texts & SMS and 1 GB of data for $36 a month. Also included was a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE which I sold. some of the other Cityfone affiliates are still offering similar plans (although the best right now seems to be $40/month).

There also some good deals from Fido and Koodo for around $45 / month with no contract 1 GB of data and unlimited Canada-wide calling. The stumbling point seems to be data - there doesn't seem to be any deals (that I'm aware of) if you need more than about 1 GB per month.

Edit:

You know, even if you went over the 1 GB included in the Cityfone affiliates plans by an additional 1 GB the overage cost would only be $20 so that still is WAAAAY lower than what you are paying now!
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10896 posts
3167 upvotes
Rogers has openly made a decision to get rid of customers they don't see as valuable, and that explicitly included retention customers.

Lots and lots of cheaper options with national networks. No reason for you to keep calling and begging. Just leave.
Oct 24, 2006
648 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Koodo SKMB plan. Go sign up and get a SK number with 5gig plan (in store) and then port your number over via self serve. You may have to try a couple places before they will so it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21254 posts
7664 upvotes
Toronto
I'm confused. $145?!?

Do you have multiple lines are something? What do you need exactly?

1. How many lines?
2. How much data per line?
3. How many minutes per line?
4. Do you need phone subsidies?

Assuming you need two lines for a total of 2 GB, with minutes being pretty much irrelevant, and you want all the small stuff, it sounds like you might be able to get away with two Koodo $45 1 GB plans.

You could do Fido x 2 as well, with the first being $45 and the second being $40.50 I believe (10% discount), but both requiring a $5 value pack if you want voicemail.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1375 posts
265 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
EugW wrote: Assuming you need two lines for a total of 2 GB, with minutes being pretty much irrelevant, and you want all the small stuff, it sounds like you might be able to get away with two Koodo $45 1 GB plans.
$90 does seem like a better deal than $145. I'd be asking Rogers to match the Koodo plan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
They said it was impossible. That the rep I spoke to gave me a plan that doesn't exist.
After 3 calls I settled for this: (still 10$ higher than what I promised)[also cleared my 3yr contracts]

[IMG]http://s24.postimg.org/4ffn39a51/Untitled.png[/IMG]
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote: Rogers has openly made a decision to get rid of customers they don't see as valuable, and that explicitly included retention customers.

Lots and lots of cheaper options with national networks. No reason for you to keep calling and begging. Just leave.
This.

Rogers is following Telus lead in trying to retain higher ARPU clients. However, if you're paying $145 for one line, then you should follow under that category.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2010
65 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot to mention that we have 2 lines on the family share plan so the $145 is for both phones.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21254 posts
7664 upvotes
Toronto
Do you need more than 1 GB on either of the lines? Do you need phone subsidies?

If not I'd just get your phones unlocked if necessary, and then switch to Koodo. Can't remember, but I think Virgin and possibly Fido will give a 10% discount for the second line, but IMO Koodo currently has the best $45 1 GB plan.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2010
65 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
EugW wrote: Do you need more than 1 GB on either of the lines? Do you need phone subsidies?

If not I'd just get your phones unlocked if necessary, and then switch to Koodo. Can't remember, but I think Virgin and possibly Fido will give a 10% discount for the second line, but IMO Koodo currently has the best $45 1 GB plan.
With our shared 2gb we are always close to going over and have to scale back the last couple days to make sure we don't go over. I like the Koodo plan but unfortunately we need to upgrade our phones as we have the iphone 4 & 4s and both batterys are useless now as well as cracked screens and buttons not working.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21254 posts
7664 upvotes
Toronto
If Rogers is willing to give both 3 GB on that plan at $145 and two new iPhones, then it may actually end up cheaper staying with them.

However, if $160 and cheap phones only, then not so much.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3897 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
OP, What are you getting exactly on your current plan(s)? Lay out the details, so we can see if a better plan is out there for you. I have no idea why you are so sticky with Rogers. They are not hungry for your business, so switch. You are wasting everyone else's time otherwise.

If you need an iphone, you can get an iphone 5c for, $469 at apple.ca, which is a stupid amount of money for any phone, but whatever. But you can look at it as $20 a month for 24 months also. If you wise up and decide to go Android, you can get much better phones for half that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)