Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11949 posts
1716 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
DonR04 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:08 pm
I understand that. My point was I was trying to get some feedback with regard to whether it is better to wait closer to the end of the current deal. My deal is only for a year, as they couldn't (didn't want to?) give me a good 2-year deal. I really hate having to go through this BS every year...don't we all, I guess?

Regardless, is it better to call retention first, or go directly to management?
Like I said, deals are always better the closer you get to expiry. Mos retention reps suggest calling in 2 mos prior. Mgt Office is always better than retentions. I dont deal with retention/customer relations anymore unless it's simple shit like a question or transaction that can be done in 2 sec.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11949 posts
1716 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Silver02TDI wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 10:15 am
In typical Rogers fashion, I got offered a promo, I accepted, got my first bill, and it wasn't what I was offered. My two year deal is $5 more than I was told, and my two year deal, one part of it expires in six months, the other in a year, so it isn't all for the full two years. So I will have to call back again in six months and then in a year. The whole point of two years was to save myself the hassle of calling back.

I swear that in my 20 years dealing with Rogers, if I am supposed to get a new promo, with 100% certainty, my bill will not reflect what I was told, and I have to call back. I swear this is a deliberate tactic on their part, hoping people won't look closely. Unlucky for them, I am an accountant, so I look at all numbers. One day when I have nothing better to do, I will go back and look at my years of bills I have saved, and pull all of these discrepancies, and I will write a letter to the CRTC outlining this practice.
Problem is not every1 starts a new deal at the beginning of a new bill cycle causing partial charges and shit. That's what ur experiencing. For example if your bill cycle ends on the 14th, then your new deal shud start on 12am of the 15th, the new new bill cyce. Robbers billing is antiquated and hasnt changed since the 1970's when it was under Cantel. Complete BS. They wont change or update the underlying billing structure. Just contact mgt office and they will make the monthly cost adjustments as long as you have the interaction id that proves the price you are supposed to receive. 1.844.410.5766. For example my first bill after my new deal mgt office had to make over $216 CR in adjustments. The 2nd bill after the renewal a further $15 CR in adjustments. FINALLY, the billing is correct from here on out. PITA.

General rule when to start a new contract.
1. If your renewal contract is LESS EXPENSIVE than your current contract start the contract right away. Reason being you save money earlier instead of waiting till new bill cycle. Worry about partial charges when you get your first bill. Mgt Office will make the necessary CR adjustments.

2. If your new contract is MORE EXPENSIVE than your previous contract then start the new contract at beginning of new bill cycle. Reason being if you start the contract asap you get charged MORE on the first bill from the increase in cost. Why pay more NOW, when you can wait till the new bill cycle and not have increased partial charges to worry about.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1665 posts
275 upvotes
I've scanned through the last 20 pages or so for the best possible NEW CUSTOMER deal on internet only. I would appreciate if someone who visits this post frequently could give me a quick update. Thanks in advance!
Dec 16, 2006
119 posts
10 upvotes
Markham
So this is what I was offered for the new IgniteTV promotional pricing (Top tier pricing: PremierTV+Gigabit Internet+Home Phone with 6 calling features)

Rogers: I can offer you a $40 discount monthly for 12 months on an Ignite TV bundle that would offer you Premier cable, Gigabit internet, and an unlimited Canada wide calling home phone with 6 calling features. The $149.99 + tax install would still apply but I do have a one time $100 bill credit that I can offer on your first invoice after install. How many cable boxes would you need? I can give you a better idea of pricing.

Now including 4 Ignite cable boxes:

The cable boxes would be per TV. With 4 cable boxes your total bundle cost would be $220.34 tax in - During Promotions and $265.54 tax in - After Promotions
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16638 posts
3637 upvotes
Toronto
triptronix wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 4:14 pm
So this is what I was offered for the new IgniteTV promotional pricing (Top tier pricing: PremierTV+Gigabit Internet+Home Phone with 6 calling features)

Rogers: I can offer you a $40 discount monthly for 12 months on an Ignite TV bundle that would offer you Premier cable, Gigabit internet, and an unlimited Canada wide calling home phone with 6 calling features. The $149.99 + tax install would still apply but I do have a one time $100 bill credit that I can offer on your first invoice after install. How many cable boxes would you need? I can give you a better idea of pricing.

Now including 4 Ignite cable boxes:

The cable boxes would be per TV. With 4 cable boxes your total bundle cost would be $220.34 tax in - During Promotions and $265.54 tax in - After Promotions
So, that's $194.99 + tax and then $234.99 + tax.

IOW, that's normal $219.99 pricing + $15 for the 3 extra Ignite boxes = $234.99 - $40 per month for one year, as you described.

That's not very impressive. Hopefully spring will bring pricing MUCH better than that. I'd want something like:

150 Mbps
Ignite Premier TV
Home Phone

Currently that's $189.99 + tax with one TV box or $194.99 with two boxes regular price, but I won't bite unless it's more like $129.99 ($65 off) for two years. I don't want to pay more than $150 tax in.

For the record, what people had been getting for digital TV is:

Gigabit
Premier TV with 1 PVR and 1 receiver
Basic Home Phone

$104.99 for 12 months, then $114.99 for another 12 months.
Mar 4, 2018
103 posts
194 upvotes
machoman wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:40 pm
I've scanned through the last 20 pages or so for the best possible NEW CUSTOMER deal on internet only. I would appreciate if someone who visits this post frequently could give me a quick update. Thanks in advance!
I inquired about a new internet service last week.

My new home is not in an FTTH (Fiber to the home) area (older area ~30 years) so my internet offer is:
- 150U for $35
- 500U for $60
- Gigabit for $70

For FTTH areas, it gets much cheaper. I believe 500U is around $25.
Let me know if you want my contact for the sales rep.
Frugal Fries - but en français
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16638 posts
3637 upvotes
Toronto
FrugalFrites wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 7:18 am
I inquired about a new internet service last week.

My new home is not in an FTTH (Fiber to the home) area (older area ~30 years) so my internet offer is:
- 150U for $35
- 500U for $60
- Gigabit for $70

For FTTH areas, it gets much cheaper. I believe 500U is around $25.
Let me know if you want my contact for the sales rep.
Is that for one year only?

---

For anyone who has had 150 and 500 or 1000, do you notice a difference in speed for real-world activities?

It's hard for me to gauge, since I went from 25 Mbps to 75 Mbps to 1000 Mbps. 25 Mbps definitely wasn't enough but 75 Mbps was OK, although 1000 can be better with 4 people in the house. However, I'm guessing the difference between 150 vs 1000 would be much less noticeable than 75 vs 1000, and for most people, the difference between 500 and 1000 would be unnoticeable.

---

Also, what general areas are FTTH now for Rogers? My house is FTTH on Bell but I don't think Rogers has FTTH here. These are detached homes in a low density neighbourhood.
Sep 13, 2012
633 posts
284 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
EugW wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:15 am

For anyone who has had 150 and 500 or 1000, do you notice a difference in speed for real-world activities?

It's hard for me to gauge, since I went from 25 Mbps to 75 Mbps to 1000 Mbps. 25 Mbps definitely wasn't enough but 75 Mbps was OK, although 1000 was better with 4 people in the house. However, I'm guessing the difference between 150 vs 1000 would be much less noticeable than 75 vs 1000, and for most people, the difference between 500 and 1000 would be unnoticeable.
---
Also, what general areas are FTTH now for Rogers? My house is FTTH on Bell but I don't think Rogers has FTTH here. These are detached homes in a low density neighbourhood.
In hindsight 150U was the best bang for the back for our needs.

Switched from Hybrid Fibre 60 back in the day to Hybrid Fibre 100 and the difference was noticeable. Then switched to 150U and the difference was significant - between the Rocket modem and our household needs it felt like we really hit the sweet spot: we mainly utilize wifi on our iPhones and laptops without streaming and this was more than suitable for consistent, dependable, immediate speed. Naturally more for less is the name of the game and it simply became unrealistic to maintain 150U when 500U or Gigabit could be had for less so of course I made the switch to Gigabit. Long story short: couldn't achieve better than 250Mbps *wired* and ultimately even after crediting the service to nearly zero cost ongoing I switched to 500U. Still the same level of performance wired with 500U @ $24.99 but I much prefer the Rocket modem to the Ignite modem. Currently working through an escalation which should yield some additional credits for the poor internet service. Ultimately if you're not doing heavy streaming or downloading with a couple of adults on wifi 150U should be more than adequate.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4367 posts
2098 upvotes
Northside
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 9:04 am
Look, you can ask for a new deal ANYTIME within your current 2yr promo. There is no contract, no cancellation fees. It's just that deals are better the nearer the time to expiry than at the beginning. The best deals are always xmas, no doubt. From mid november to boxing day. So even if your contract doesnt end in this time frame you can ALWAYS break the deal at anytime and get a xmas offer. For example say your deal is 2018-2020. But you notice everyone is getting an amazing deal in xmas 2019 with everything included for $99. You can break your current deal and sign on to the new promo no issues and get a new promo term that expires xmas 2019 - 2021.
Not true. There are always new deals being updated QUARTERLY in the system. End of the quarter is when deals are juicy.

For example, the old U63 plan ($99 bundle) was introduced end of quarter 2 ( June 2017) if I recall correctly.
#WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4367 posts
2098 upvotes
Northside
EugW wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:15 am
Is that for one year only?

---

It's hard for me to gauge, since I went from 25 Mbps to 75 Mbps to 1000 Mbps. 25 Mbps definitely wasn't enough but 75 Mbps was OK, although 1000 can be better with 4 people in the house. However, I'm guessing the difference between 150 vs 1000 would be much less noticeable than 75 vs 1000, and for most people, the difference between 500 and 1000 would be unnoticeable.

---

If your area is already Bell FTTH, then you qualify for the competitive Rogers deals. That's what the promotion really means, it's competing with Bell.
#WeTheNorth
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4367 posts
2098 upvotes
Northside
Mike68 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:04 pm
My 2 year $99 gigabit + popular tv is coming to an end.

Been calling retentions and no luck getting a decent deal. What have you guys been able to negotiate for the two services? I am aiming to negotiate $85 for both. Anyone manage to get both services for this rate? Did you do winback? Ootp?
I suggest speaking with Bell to keep your options open.

Another strategy that has worked for me in the past is filing a cancellation (giving them 3 weeks notice) and expect a call back the following week. You can always retract your cancellation.
#WeTheNorth
Dec 21, 2014
11 posts
2 upvotes
Markham, ON
100Pacer wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:35 am

Long story short: couldn't achieve better than 250Mbps *wired* and ultimately even after crediting the service to nearly zero cost ongoing I switched to 500U. Still the same level of performance wired with 500U @ $24.99 but I much prefer the Rocket modem to the Ignite modem. Currently working through an escalation which should yield some additional credits for the poor internet service. Ultimately if you're not doing heavy streaming or downloading with a couple of adults on wifi 150U should be more than adequate.
Curious about how you're escalating your speed issue and which department you're dealing with. I switched recently from 100u to gigabit, and I noticed my download speed remained pretty much the same when I ran tests on my laptop. I was getting 44-48mbps over wifi before and am still getting similar speeds now, occasionally breaking the 50mbps mark. Granted, my laptop can only be on the 2.4g network, but it was still surprising to see no increase in speed. Wired speed test results are in the 280-320mbps range, so I know I am getting faster internet. A tech came over yesterday to try and fix the issue and said he cleaned up some of my connectors in the basement and did some things outside. Still getting the same speeds though. Do you think I have a case to escalate this, and if so, should I start at management office or ootp?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16638 posts
3637 upvotes
Toronto
100Pacer wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:35 am

Switched from Hybrid Fibre 60 back in the day to Hybrid Fibre 100 and the difference was noticeable. Then switched to 150U and the difference was significant - between the Rocket modem and our household needs it felt like we really hit the sweet spot: we mainly utilize wifi on our iPhones and laptops without streaming and this was more than suitable for consistent, dependable, immediate speed. Naturally more for less is the name of the game and it simply became unrealistic to maintain 150U when 500U or Gigabit could be had for less so of course I made the switch to Gigabit. Long story short: couldn't achieve better than 250Mbps *wired* and ultimately even after crediting the service to nearly zero cost ongoing I switched to 500U. Still the same level of performance wired with 500U @ $24.99 but I much prefer the Rocket modem to the Ignite modem. Currently working through an escalation which should yield some additional credits for the poor internet service. Ultimately if you're not doing heavy streaming or downloading with a couple of adults on wifi 150U should be more than adequate.
Thanks. That sounds about right.

I can get over 950 Mbps wired from my Rogers Hitron CODA-4582U, and over 500 Mbps on WiFi with Apple Airports used as access points connected to that Hitron modem. (I don't use the Hitron's WiFi, just because it's just one access point. I use 3 Airports, which offer pseudo-mesh-like functionality with my Apple devices.) However, unless I have huge file I need to transfer from the internet, 500+ Mbps down usually seems like overkill.

Glad 150 worked well for you as that validates my belief it'd probably work well for me too (at least while my kids are still very young and just doing basic kids' show streaming). That will be useful to know if/when I try to negotiate a bundle deal with Ignite TV, perhaps in the spring. Not sure what Rogers bitrates are but I do know that Netflix 4K HEVC streaming is just over 15 Mbps. My HD 1080p Netflix streams on HEVC equipment are in the 3.5 Mbps range.

I don't know what the Ignite TV boxes use, but I am guessing for 4K they stream with HEVC around 15 Mbps, and definitely not over 20 Mbps, so in the worst case scenario with three simultaneous 4K Rogers or Netflix streams we are talking less than 60 Mbps. So, it makes sense 150 Mbps should be fine for most people that aren't big downloaders. Mind you, a while back Rogers used to have a 250 Mbps tier. If that were available, I'd probably just get that, just because it'd offer even more breathing room, and the upload was 20 Mbps instead of the 150 plan's 15 Mbps.

Does anyone know what codecs and bitrates Rogers uses for streaming on Ignite TV boxes?

zaidyboy wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:05 am
If your area is already Bell FTTH, then you qualify for the competitive Rogers deals. That's what the promotion really means, it's competing with Bell.
Ah OK. Thanks for the clarification.
Jan 13, 2009
4 posts
kitchener
Just chatted online, told them I wanted to cancel service after ~20 yrs.
Offer was not very good, will be calling in next.

"Our Select Ignite TV with 2 voice activated remotes + 2 4k Cloud PVRs + Canada Time shifting + Ignite 150 with our latest modem + Free Canada wide home phone service comes to $168.04."

Hoping to get this for under $130/month.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11949 posts
1716 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
zaidyboy wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:00 am
Not true. There are always new deals being updated QUARTERLY in the system. End of the quarter is when deals are juicy.

For example, the old U63 plan ($99 bundle) was introduced end of quarter 2 ( June 2017) if I recall correctly.
You have to go back to 2017 with only 1 good deal. Haha, proved my point. *welp*