Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Jan 13, 2009
4 posts
kitchener
synappzz wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 12:29 pm
Just chatted online, told them I wanted to cancel service after ~20 yrs.
Offer was not very good, will be calling in next.

"Our Select Ignite TV with 2 voice activated remotes + 2 4k Cloud PVRs + Canada Time shifting + Ignite 150 with our latest modem + Free Canada wide home phone service comes to $168.04."

Hoping to get this for under $130/month.
Update

Called in to 'cancel' with the number provided in Rogers chat after declining 3 offers.

Was offered

Select TV + 1 Nextbox PVR +1 HD Box
250U unlimited internet
Basic Phone unlimited Canada calling, 3 features
12 months (tried for 24, but he wouldn't budge)
$118 taxes included

I know some are getting better, < $100, but this is better than the $186 I was paying.
Good luck!!
Jan 23, 2017
24 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
seuxlo wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:23 am
Curious about how you're escalating your speed issue and which department you're dealing with. I switched recently from 100u to gigabit, and I noticed my download speed remained pretty much the same when I ran tests on my laptop. I was getting 44-48mbps over wifi before and am still getting similar speeds now, occasionally breaking the 50mbps mark. Granted, my laptop can only be on the 2.4g network, but it was still surprising to see no increase in speed. Wired speed test results are in the 280-320mbps range, so I know I am getting faster internet. A tech came over yesterday to try and fix the issue and said he cleaned up some of my connectors in the basement and did some things outside. Still getting the same speeds though. Do you think I have a case to escalate this, and if so, should I start at management office or ootp?
Been on 1Gb for last 2 years and on Rogers Coda beta program....Rogers speed is never consistent but to be fair, there are many conditions that affect speed....Your equipment, Street Infrastructure, Rogers CMTS (Server you are connected to), etc, etc...My speeds have fluctuated from 200 - 800 with average around 600. A few times I was able to exceed 1gb and received 1.4Gb but not anymore as more customers on my street are signing up for Gigabit internet. You'll have to start with Rogers Support, who are contractors, and usually they will escalate quickly to level 2 if they cannot solve it. When I had issues Level 2 replaced the street amp and ran new wires to the house. You can also join the Coda Beta pgm and get help from the forum team. Overall....you have to get used to that 1Gbps is NOT the average speed....but you should "most" of the time get at least 750 - 850. Upload is more consistent at 40 - 45. I am in Bridge mode and Wi-Fi speeds vary on how close you are to the router......it can be anywhere from 20 mbps to 400mbps , which is more then adequate...I would call back support and request a senior rep. If this doesn't work...than escalate higher. You'll have to work the chain.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17026 posts
3883 upvotes
Toronto
I'm usually getting over 900 Mbps, but it should be noted that my house has had chronic cable TV signal issues with cable in the past, necessitating multiple visits from techs over the years.

At first they replaced some internal old RG59 wiring with new RG6 and replaced some of my splitters. That helped, but I was still having problems. Then they installed an amplifier. That helped again, but I was still having cable TV dropout problems. Finally after multiple calls, a guy came and installed RG11 from across the street to my house and that solved all my problems, as it was a pretty long run. However, at the time I was on DSL or VDSL so it never affected my internet access. Fast forward to 2019 and my new Rogers cable internet connection and my signal levels seem decent.

Mind you, I'd be happy with anything over 300 down, and probably would be OK with 150 down too if the price was right. I'd rather see higher upload speeds than the up to 30.

BTW, although my SNR numbers are decent with the amplifier in place, I wonder if I should just try to remove the signal amplifier. It would necessitate disconnecting some of the cable connections in my house to keep signal strengths up, but many of them are unused anyway.
Oct 12, 2005
68 posts
Toronto
After two separate agents on FB Messenger and Retention both failed to come below my existing $112.98+tx package of Popular TV + Cdn Timeshifting w/ HD PVR and 150u, I put in a cancellation request and got the Winback e-mail two days later. I was offered:

Popular TV w/ Cdn Timeshifting & TMN/HBO/Crave
HD PVR
500u w/ Gigabit modem
$87.99+tx for 1-year, subject to possible $6-10 rate increase in March

I live in an apartment rental in Bathurst / Eglinton area. Offer seems reasonable with the upgrades and still a drop in cost. Thoughts?
Jan 17, 2012
63 posts
12 upvotes
Ontario
Has anyone gotten the number 1-877-295-6188 from Rogers with a code to get a special offer to come back after putting in their cancellation? I'm wondering which is the better option to call first, this one or the Winback number from the email.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17026 posts
3883 upvotes
Toronto
BajoFuego wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 5:31 pm
After two separate agents on FB Messenger and Retention both failed to come below my existing $112.98+tx package of Popular TV + Cdn Timeshifting w/ HD PVR and 150u, I put in a cancellation request and got the Winback e-mail two days later. I was offered:

Popular TV w/ Cdn Timeshifting & TMN/HBO/Crave
HD PVR
500u w/ Gigabit modem
$87.99+tx for 1-year, subject to possible $6-10 rate increase in March

I live in an apartment rental in Bathurst / Eglinton area. Offer seems reasonable with the upgrades and still a drop in cost. Thoughts?
Decent deal
May 28, 2013
99 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
zaidyboy wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 11:08 am
I suggest speaking with Bell to keep your options open.

Another strategy that has worked for me in the past is filing a cancellation (giving them 3 weeks notice) and expect a call back the following week. You can always retract your cancellation.
Yah I am going to go the cancellation route and see what I am offered. BTW you were the one who got me on the $99 deal 2 years ago so thanks for that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7787 posts
201 upvotes
...and helped another happy rogers customer

500U $30
Premier $55
CraveTV/HBO/TMN Free
Fairchild Reg. Price
Nextbox 3.0 now owned

rep did mention the $3 increase coming in March for internet AND Cable, so will see spike $6 around March
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4651 posts
2265 upvotes
Northside
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:21 am

500U $30
Premier $55
CraveTV/HBO/TMN Free
Fairchild Reg. Price
Nextbox 3.0 now owned

rep did mention the $3 increase coming in March for internet AND Cable, so will see spike $6 around March
the TMN...is it included for the term or is it just 3 to 6 months?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7787 posts
201 upvotes
zaidyboy wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:25 am
the TMN...is it included for the term or is it just 3 to 6 months?
12 months
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17026 posts
3883 upvotes
Toronto
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 9:21 am

500U $30
Premier $55
CraveTV/HBO/TMN Free
Fairchild Reg. Price
Nextbox 3.0 now owned

Is the $3 + $3 applying to everyone? I was told the bundle price I got for Digital Premier TV + Gigabit + Home Phone for $104.99 is fixed for the first year and goes up to $114.99 for the second year. TMN/Crave/HBO included in first year too. No contract.
Last edited by EugW on Jan 17th, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7787 posts
201 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:41 am
Is the $3 + $3 applying to everyone? I was told the bundle price I got for Digital Premier TV + Gigabit + Home Phone for $104.99 is fixed for the first year and goes up to $114.99 for the second year.
yes....the deal they give out now are not price guarantee....the are more likely discount guarantee...so subject to annual price increases.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17026 posts
3883 upvotes
Toronto
sienna owner wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:42 am
yes....the deal they give out now are not price guarantee....the are more likely discount guarantee...so subject to annual price increases.
As of when? The sales agent specifically included and emphasized in the initial offer email that the price is guaranteed, and it is not just a guaranteed discount. However, I got this deal a couple of weeks ago (Toronto), before the new customer promotions were updated to the latest iteration.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2006
4651 posts
2265 upvotes
Northside
EugW wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:46 am
As of when? The sales agent specifically included and emphasized in the initial offer email that the price is guaranteed, and it is not just a guaranteed discount. However, I got this deal a couple of weeks ago (Toronto), before the new customer promotions were updated to the latest iteration.
No prices are guaranteed. If you have that in writing, I suggest escalating this and submit to complaint to CRTC.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

zanewn, brandners