Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! (2019) *READ THREAD SUMMARY*

Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7789 posts
201 upvotes
arthur55 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 10:48 pm
I am hearing a lot of great deals here and realize I am really overpaying. I have 100u and VIP cable with HD PVR and HBO for $160.
Do you guys think I can get something similar for about $100?
Ideally I want to get a 4k PVR and keep my HBO. How would I go about doing this? Is it just threaten to cancel, or is there a lot of back and forth bargaining?
not sure about the 4k PVR...but yes to the rest
Sep 13, 2012
863 posts
441 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
arthur55 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 10:48 pm
I am hearing a lot of great deals here and realize I am really overpaying. I have 100u and VIP cable with HD PVR and HBO for $160.
Do you guys think I can get something similar for about $100?
Ideally I want to get a 4k PVR and keep my HBO. How would I go about doing this? Is it just threaten to cancel, or is there a lot of back and forth bargaining?
Front line customer service and cancellations won't relent until they get you to abandon Digital VIP. If you'd like to keep the cable as is you can escalate beyond starting with management office - do your research and have figures to present relative to current in-market plans on similar level and negotiate towards an ongoing manual credit to bring the total cost down on par.
Apr 4, 2010
362 posts
172 upvotes
da_123 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 9:01 am
To followup, I was able to get Popular / 500U / TMN / PVR for $80 plus tax. Good enough for me, I didn't even bothering to try to get anything else. Only 12 months, maybe I should have asked about 24. Oh well.
Did you eventually get a win back call? Or call yourself (if so which number) ?

Thanks
Feb 24, 2017
192 posts
69 upvotes
Mike68 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 10:27 pm
I am also interested in this. I have had IT come out and couldn't do anything. I only get 400-500 on a gigabit plan so no point of paying gigabit if I can only get 500. If I can constantly get 500
I am on a gigabit plan for the last two years and have never reached more than 60 mbps. I can function with 30 mbps. Netflix have not experienced issues. Thus, I have not bothered to call Rogers tech support.

My contract ends in March and I am looking around at a retention deal. Reading so far, it looks like the only way to not pay more is to switch to Bell.

I currently pay $135 all-in for unlimited Gigabit internet, VIP cable (2 HD boxes) and home phone with 1 feature. A Rogers telemarketer offered me a Ignite Premier Bundle for $154 plus tax which I turned down.

I will put in my cancellation and see what they are offering. Meanwhile, I have to get a Bell plan ready. The switcharoo game continues.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
salfclyahoo wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 11:37 am
I am on a gigabit plan for the last two years and have never reached more than 60 mbps. I can function with 30 mbps. Netflix have not experienced issues. Thus, I have not bothered to call Rogers tech support.

My contract ends in March and I am looking around at a retention deal. Reading so far, it looks like the only way to not pay more is to switch to Bell.

I currently pay $135 all-in for unlimited Gigabit internet, VIP cable (2 HD boxes) and home phone with 1 feature. A Rogers telemarketer offered me a Ignite Premier Bundle for $154 plus tax which I turned down.

I will put in my cancellation and see what they are offering. Meanwhile, I have to get a Bell plan ready. The switcharoo game continues.
They couldn’t fix your speeds? In one config they set me up with, I was getting near-Gigabit speeds but shortly after the install I started to get frequent disconnects. Then they tried something else and the speeds dropped to 25-100 Mbps. Then they totally reconfigured my splitter setup and that got me back to Gigabit speeds without the frequent disconnects.

Did they at least give you an account credit or something?

BTW, its often easier to get a winback deal if you have a competing deal you can quote to them, so yeah get that Bell deal ready.
Feb 24, 2017
192 posts
69 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 11:59 am
They couldn’t fix your speeds? In one config they set me up with, I was getting near-Gigabit speeds but shortly after the install I started to get frequent disconnects. Then they tried something else and the speeds dropped to 25-100 Mbps. Then they totally reconfigured my splitter setup and that got me back to Gigabit speeds without the frequent disconnects.

Did they at least give you an account credit or something?

BTW, its often easier to get a winback deal if you have a competing deal you can quote to them, so yeah get that Bell deal ready.

No credit as I didn't create a big fuss. Rogers offers FTTH in my location. Not sure if I am on it.

Bell services look good but I dislike that they only guarantee the discounts ...the last time I was with them, I started off at $113 for the package and two years later, I was paying $150. It looks like Rogers is doing likewise - guarantee discounts instead of fixing the price for the duration of the package. The two providers are getting to be more similar in their pricing.
May 17, 2017
221 posts
467 upvotes
Hi all, will try to describe my whole experience to answer any questions for people in similar situations.

I was one of many on the $24.99 500u deal. Mine was set to expire in March 2019. I mentioned to Rogers a few times via chat/twitter that I wanted to negotiate a deal, and after much back and forth the best that could be offered was $67 including tax.

I said no thanks, and put through a future cancellation last week.

Yesterday when I was browsing the internet on my phone, a popup from rogers said to call 1-877-295-6188 in order to "ask any questions or change my mind".

So I called today, it was basically a private line, the lady answered right away. No back and forth, she said I can give you it for $33 after the $3 price increase in March. I said sure.

It is for 12 months. She said it isn't possible for their system to add it for 24 months at this time.

So I guess the best way to get a deal is to cancel and wait for call back, or have them give you the call back number.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
scottmg wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 2:50 pm
Hi all, will try to describe my whole experience to answer any questions for people in similar situations.

I was one of many on the $24.99 500u deal. Mine was set to expire in March 2019. I mentioned to Rogers a few times via chat/twitter that I wanted to negotiate a deal, and after much back and forth the best that could be offered was $67 including tax.

I said no thanks, and put through a future cancellation last week.

Yesterday when I was browsing the internet on my phone, a popup from rogers said to call 1-877-295-6188 in order to "ask any questions or change my mind".

So I called today, it was basically a private line, the lady answered right away. No back and forth, she said I can give you it for $33 after the $3 price increase in March. I said sure.

It is for 12 months. She said it isn't possible for their system to add it for 24 months at this time.

So I guess the best way to get a deal is to cancel and wait for call back, or have them give you the call back number.
YMMV. 2 years ago when I cancelled Rogers, I did not get a winback call. So I went to Bell.

This time when when I cancelled Bell they didn’t give me a winback call either. I set up the cancellation several weeks ago and the actual cancellation date was last week. I’m back on Rogers.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1868 posts
165 upvotes
Central Ontario
I don't think I'm going to get a winback from Rogers either... IMO, they've been quite hostile with me when I've attempted to negotiate a better rate. I've been a Rogers subscriber for 22 years (slightly less for internet). I started with Rogers Wave in Newmarket, one of the first test areas for cable internet. I do not feel they really want me as a customer. My bill right now is $210+/month for 150u and Premier (?) TV, which is double what many are posting here. When I raise this with them, they claim that "anybody can say anything, but it doesn't mean it's true".
May 17, 2017
221 posts
467 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 4:40 pm
YMMV. 2 years ago when I cancelled Rogers, I did not get a winback call. So I went to Bell.

This time when when I cancelled Bell they didn’t give me a winback call either. I set up the cancellation several weeks ago and the actual cancellation date was last week. I’m back on Rogers.
You’re talking two years ago. I’m talking about this week. Obviously its YMMV, any deal that’s not advertised is YMMV.
Feb 4, 2017
578 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
JustMike wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 4:47 pm
I don't think I'm going to get a winback from Rogers either... IMO, they've been quite hostile with me when I've attempted to negotiate a better rate. I've been a Rogers subscriber for 22 years (slightly less for internet). I started with Rogers Wave in Newmarket, one of the first test areas for cable internet. I do not feel they really want me as a customer. My bill right now is $210+/month for 150u and Premier (?) TV, which is double what many are posting here. When I raise this with them, they claim that "anybody can say anything, but it doesn't mean it's true".
It's not you, they do it to everyone and they don't care that you're a loyal customer. I keep seeing posts like yours all the time and say the same thing:

You want to save money? You need to be willing to jump ship every year. I have been doing that for the past 20 years (I started with Shaw Wave back in 99) and have saved tons of money.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17039 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
CheapMang wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 6:22 pm
It's not you, they do it to everyone and they don't care that you're a loyal customer. I keep seeing posts like yours all the time and say the same thing:

You want to save money? You need to be willing to jump ship every year. I have been doing that for the past 20 years (I started with Shaw Wave back in 99) and have saved tons of money.
Many of the promotions are two years, but yeah.

In the past though I used to be able to negotiate 30% off credits through Rogers cable. Then it got progressively harder and then I jumped ship.
May 22, 2012
460 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
Someone claiming to be rogers keeps calling me and offering:

500u Internet
Select TV Package
-1PVR and 1 HD box
Home Phone
-US/Canada Long distance

For $109

Could I push for a better deal? I left Rogers for Bell just over a year ago

Also, are there any deals on Rogers ignite TV?

EDIT:
Now they are offering:

1Gbps Internet
Popular TV Package
-1PVR and 1 HD box
Deluxe Home Phone
-US/Canada Long distance

for $129.99
May 17, 2017
221 posts
467 upvotes
platinumtiger19 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 7:14 pm
Someone claiming to be rogers keeps calling me and offering:

500u Internet
Select TV Package
-1PVR and 1 HD box
Home Phone
-US/Canada Long distance

For $109

Could I push for a better deal? I left Rogers for Bell just over a year ago

Also, are there any deals on Rogers ignite TV?

EDIT:
Now they are offering:

1Gbps Internet
Popular TV Package
-1PVR and 1 HD box
Deluxe Home Phone
-US/Canada Long distance

for $129.99
I signed my dad up for gigabit internet, popular tv and home phone for 99.99 price savings for 2 years in Toronto area last week.
Feb 6, 2011
152 posts
29 upvotes
same expiry but they offered me $80++ She said call next month lmao. Rogers playing trick

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 6 guests)

CHRoNiCWiLL, Freakww, Tijuana