Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Apr 26, 2019
127 posts
49 upvotes
For New Customers apparently, I was/am a existing customer with only Old Landline based Home Phone, but was able to get it anyway:

After talking with family, decided to get the Gigabit Internet for $120+tax/month with me & my uncle splitting the bill. Done a live chat yesterday to get it & mentioned about converting Home Phone from the old landline to Ignite Home Phone for $20+tax/month with Canada Wide Calling included that another agent I spoke with previously mentioned getting bundled with the Home Internet, as it'd be cheaper than the $26.41+tax/month for Old Home Phone with $0.20 (20 cents)/minute for Canadian Long Distance with the current Landline, however I was told: "It appears the previous agent provided you some misinformation which I'll clarify now. It appears they offer you a plan for existing customers on an Ignite bundle in which they want to remove their TV services. To prevent the home phone number from being lost with the bundle we offer our existing customers the standalone internet (Gigabit is $119.99+tax) and the standalone home phone rate ($20+tax). Unfortunately this options is not available for new customers and I'll definitely send feedback to their manager so they don't misinform other customers as well. If looking to have Ignite home phone and the Ignite bundle we do offer something like our Starter TV plan, Gigabit internet and the Canada-wide home phone for $144.99+tax. Also I'm just checking to see if we have any new activation offers that I can provide you to help lower the cost further."

They checked and was able to offer me $45/month off the bundle for 1 year, so $99+tax/month for the 1st year to get Ignite Starter TV, Ignite Home Phone w/ Canada Wide Calling & Ignite Gigabit Home Internet, after the promo ends in a year it'll be $145+tax/month for the bundle so basically $120 for Internet, $20 for Home Phone & $5 for TV. With the Promo Home Phone will show us as $10+tax/month, though Local Only will reduce it to $5 while North America & International will increase it to $15 so +/-$5 with Canada Wide in the middle, TV includes a single 4KHDPVR box, a extra box can be added for $8+tax/month if needed, it's also only a few basic channels (2 to 20 depending on location) so they usually recommend the Flex 5 TV Plan that allows adding 5 channels from the flex channels list (about 100 channels to chose from), would be $5+tax/month for that plan, so basically $1+tax/month/channel chosen. I mentioned that we'll check what's available 1st, as long as we get Local News it should be fine that we mainly use streaming services such as Netflix & Amazon Prime, then I was told that the Ignite TV box has app access for Netflix & Amazon Prime as well that if you have a subscription to those services you can log in through the box & use the voice remote to search for shows on the app(s) & the TV Package at the same time.

I ended up going for it, Tech should be here tomorrow to drop off the Modem & stuff & check the line after making sure I grab the stuff from the doorstep. There was 2 options for Install that's a one time fee, Self Install for $29+tax or to have the Tech enter the home & install it it would be $99+tax, I went for the cheaper Self Install option.

Also, no more in store returns due to COVID, would need a Canada Post Return label & ship the old hardware being replaced to the Warehouse. I'm not sure how widespread that is though, agent I talked to is from Toronto that's currently in Lockdown while I'm in Kitchener that's not Locked Down but condition Red with numbers still increasing.
Nov 23, 2012
315 posts
81 upvotes
tonyb wrote: Thanks for the reply

Bell is 15 mbs. Doesn’t virgin use bells dsl?
Yeah it's the same, 15 mbps is really slow for downloading but would probably work for video conferencing. You could try it and see how it works, Virgin has no contracts so you really have nothing to lose.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1006 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
Looking to renegotiate with Rogers - can anyone let me know if these current prices are good or not?
M3J area if any reps want to speak with me

500u Internet - 52.99 + tax
Home Phone - 45.99 + tax (includes 500 min International LD + unlimited minutes North America LD)
TV - 118.94 + tax (includes PVR + HD Terminal + Crave / HBO / Starz + Premier)

Total with tax comes to 246.xx - I feel this is too expensive compared to others.
If any RFD'er can share their insights or ways to negotiate with Rogers, I would greatly appreciate
It is nice to be important, but more important to be nice ;)
Nov 24, 2016
89 posts
40 upvotes
EveryLurker wrote: Looking to renegotiate with Rogers - can anyone let me know if these current prices are good or not?
M3J area if any reps want to speak with me

500u Internet - 52.99 + tax
Home Phone - 45.99 + tax (includes 500 min International LD + unlimited minutes North America LD)
TV - 118.94 + tax (includes PVR + HD Terminal + Crave / HBO / Starz + Premier)

Total with tax comes to 246.xx - I feel this is too expensive compared to others.
If any RFD'er can share their insights or ways to negotiate with Rogers, I would greatly appreciate
Ouch. That's expensive. I currently pay $149 tax in for 300u, Premium TV with HBO/Crave, Home phone w/LD. I was at $138 tax in before the increase. I would like that price back.
Nov 6, 2004
524 posts
10 upvotes
I had an amusing conversation today.

I previously had 500U, Popular+Extra Channel, 2 boxes (I own them both).. Was paying 110$ taxes in.

The offers ended recently, went up to 195. The first guy says 186... I tell him cancel.. The next guy says 136.. I said cancel it. I do not have time for this nonsense. They will call me as the always do.. Just not worth the time.

Bunch of idiots.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2007
1008 posts
75 upvotes
New customer looking for Gigabit plan + Ignite popular tv package with 3 receivers.

Currently with bell but looking to change if price is good. Please PM asap

In the L1S area Ajax
Mar 9, 2009
419 posts
243 upvotes
real1st wrote: I had an amusing conversation today.

I previously had 500U, Popular+Extra Channel, 2 boxes (I own them both).. Was paying 110$ taxes in.

The offers ended recently, went up to 195. The first guy says 186... I tell him cancel.. The next guy says 136.. I said cancel it. I do not have time for this nonsense. They will call me as the always do.. Just not worth the time.

Bunch of idiots.
I have the same setup currently. After setting up my cancellation date for Dec 17, I waited almost 3 weeks for a call from Winback but never heard back. So I just called them directly. I finally opted for Ignite TV (Popular) with 2 boxes, 500U for $88 + tax. I really do hope I made the right decision switching to IPTV ....
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10206 posts
1465 upvotes
Mississauga
jacquesstrap wrote: I'm currently with Start and honestly am starting to consider switching to Rogers. While I love Start, paying $60 for a 60/10 unlimited connection is starting to feel like I'm just not getting the bang for my buck.

Have you had experience with Start offering any retention/deals to at least attempt competing with these Rogers offers?
Tbh I just liked the ease of never thinking about internet. I was content with the service, never had to think about finding another provider before the price goes up.
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 39-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Sep 20, 2007
555 posts
186 upvotes
stevensingh21 wrote: how does it work if you have no cable lines coming to your house.
i am a new build so with covid how does this work?
They still do that. The no installation thing people are talking about is only if you already have the cable lines to your house. Most of the cable line hookup is outside anyway, if not all?
Oct 3, 2007
306 posts
192 upvotes
Just sharing the deals I’ve been offered

Property 1: signed up for Fido Internet last year and cancelled 2 days later because house had no cable going into the house and techs weren’t willing to run a cable. No idea why Rogers called randomly last month and offered me winback deal of $85 for gigabit, popular tv and home phone with $29 express fee waived. They even came and ran a wire into the house despite saying they will not enter the house. Price is good for 12 months

Property 2: asked the winback agent if he could apply the same deal to another property. He said no. Contacted the rep on the 1st page and was able to get 500u and popular tv with 2 boxes for $108+tax with $250 MC gift card apparently (had to pay $29 express fee this time). Will believe it when the email shows up in my inbox. Price is good for 12 months but I’m gonna cancel once I get the gift card to hopefully trigger winback lol

Also FYI, I’m not sure when this happened but you’re now able to cast Rogers Ignite TV app to chromecast. I think they allowed it this week cause I definitely wasn’t able to last week. Had I known, I wouldn’t need any TV receivers.

Hope this info helped
May 19, 2013
409 posts
4549 upvotes
Vaughan
jacquesstrap wrote: I'm currently with Start and honestly am starting to consider switching to Rogers. While I love Start, paying $60 for a 60/10 unlimited connection is starting to feel like I'm just not getting the bang for my buck.

Have you had experience with Start offering any retention/deals to at least attempt competing with these Rogers offers?
I was with Start for like half a year and never had any issues aside from the price increase, which I understand why they had to. Even purchased the better TC4400 modem to get around the Puma 6 issues (I'll just eat the cost of and keep if I decide to switch back later), but yeah like you said it's hard to justify spending $80 pre-tax for 250/20 internet when there are much better offers around.

Tried getting this Rogers deal, but after like 10 different attempts between live chat/FB/calling and getting nothing even remotely comparable, I switched to the Fido deal first try and am basically paying $25 per month (if we account for the $150 gift card) for 150/15.

When I cancelled Start, they just asked me why and I said there were better deals around. That was it so I don't think they offer any sort of retention deals, which is normal considering one of their selling points is that you don't have to haggle prices like with Rogers/Fido.
Nov 6, 2004
524 posts
10 upvotes
I was called back at 8pm.

Went over "new" options.

Decided on:

Ignite Popular
Ignite 500
3 4k PVR boxes
No fees etc, had my previous month (where I did not realize my offers expired) credited back pre-change.
$95.50+tax

I had the old system (Next Box, Explorer 4820, 500mb) before, not Ignite.

Could have haggled more, but at 95+tax, I am comfotable. Payibg a few bucks less than last year.
Sep 23, 2014
192 posts
186 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Moving to a new home in January and looking for a deal on gigabit internet. PM me if you're a rep. K2K area code.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Sailor-man wrote: We’re you able to convince them with the $159.92 offer or what did you settle on. We’re pretty much in the same situation with an alarm system that doesn’t go well with Ignite phone and a PVR full of movies and shows we don’t want to lose.
Long story short the agent from office of the president changed my pricing without permission (and well before my discounts dropped off to boot) only to then ignore my attempts to reach him so he could rectify the situation. Gave it some time then escalated to CCTS and luckily heard back from an intelligent case manager. She made it clear Rogers was under no obligation to match the Ignite promo pricing of $159.99 for legacy plans but she would go ahead regardless due to the original advisor changing pricing without my approval and ignoring my repeated calls. It’s sad but I literally hope for screwups and deception on their part because ultimately it’s the only way to get what you want.
Aug 24, 2009
852 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm going to ask what might be a dumb question of people who are on the 'new' 4K Ignite service. Are there more 4K stations than the legacy? Basically legacy just has the two sports channels in the 998 range.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3877 posts
1973 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Tried to put in a move request but they told me I couldn't transfer my current services and would have to upgrade, at the cost of almost $70 more (~$130 -> ~$190). Told them to change the move request to a cancellation of services. See what they come back with.
Nov 27, 2014
135 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto, ON
so thought I would try my luck, I just cancelled. Was paying 76.83 for 300mbps and the online chat agent would only offer me $88 for 300u.

Never done this before but hoping someone will contact me offering a better deal before it expires in Feb 12th. Anyone with experience know if I can undo my cancellation if someone doesn't contact me?
Jun 19, 2008
350 posts
114 upvotes
I tried calling and FB messaging multiple times and they all only had 1 offer for me. Even placed a cancellation for the end of this month and still no winback calls.

The best they can offer me is the Ignite 300u for $47.99 + tax
My Wins

2004 - A soccer ball :(
2010 - $25GC Shoppers Drug Mart :D
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
coolmanfever wrote: I chatted online. This is what I get.

Ignite
500 dl
Popular tv package
One 4K box
250 MasterCard gift card
Month to month ( no contract )
$99 plus tax.

I only watch sports like NBA games. Is popular TV package worth it?
which department did you chat with? General Inquireies? Tech Support? Products and Services? Or go into the chat bot (anna) and click Talk to Agent?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2463 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
How far in advance can one schedule a cancellation?

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

BusinessDocuments, SERDAR, turbodiesel