Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Roger's Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread!

Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
Just noticed back in early December Rogers launched 3 new TV packages without the option of a bonus channel, less service and a price increase to boot.

If you are negotiating a promotion for the next year make sure the channels you need are in your package.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1488 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
Is the ambassador team different from win back? They called me today and left me a different number to call back. Is one better than the other?
Aug 1, 2012
904 posts
190 upvotes
Cambridge
sunstar1980 wrote: That's a pretty decent deal.
Just for off the phone with the management line and here is what they offered......
150U internet
Popular TV+Fairchild Channel
HDPVR box
$200 credit for the first 2 months.

$110+taxes for 12 months.
Declined it and told them I will check back another day since my cancellation is set for end of March.
Management team almost refused to do anything for me. I started conversation with them over email but wasn't getting timely response so called, guy on phone told me to call back on the winback number (one from email) whether I want to accept the existing offer or ask for a better one.

When I called back on the winback number, rep himself made this offer without me asking for anything in particular. This was a day before my cancellation date and offer was good enough so took it.
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
darkspider wrote: Is the ambassador team different from win back? They called me today and left me a different number to call back. Is one better than the other?
Same office/people.
Feb 18, 2014
491 posts
286 upvotes
sgogeta4 wrote: What was the winback #?
You must be contacted by the Winback team in order to get an offer from them, you can't just call them up. In order to get a call from them you would have to cancel your service and even when you do, your not guaranteed that you'll receive a call from them.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4391 posts
944 upvotes
Called in to Rogers again to cancel a few days ago. Told the rep 1.) My current Ignite 150 is $111/month compared the the retail being $85/month; 2.) Bell is offering new customers TV and Fibre 25 for $99/month -- I received a flyer in the mail for this from Bell.

The rep took about 30 seconds and reduced by current plan (Ignite 150 and Select TV with extra Fairchild channel) to match Bell, though the rep did point out that Rogers' internet is faster than Bell's. I'm now paying $100/month. I need to see my first bill to see what the discounts are. I already own my Rogers HDPVR box (good grief three years of that rental fee paid).

For what it's worth, I have Ignite 150 and 500 for another account. Nothing ever comes close to using 500mbit and I'll be streaming YouTube and Netflix while downloading PS4 games and torrents all at the same time. Once the two years on my Ignite 500 account ends I'm going to switch to a lower speed to save the money.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3142 posts
216 upvotes
Newmarket
Mulder and Scully wrote:
For what it's worth, I have Ignite 150 and 500 for another account. Nothing ever comes close to using 500mbit and I'll be streaming YouTube and Netflix while downloading PS4 games and torrents all at the same time. Once the two years on my Ignite 500 account ends I'm going to switch to a lower speed to save the money.
Depends on your usage...I have Bell 1.5gbps and I use the full 1 at times when my newsgroups are in full throttle. For streaming/gaming you don't need the speed. Problem with Rogers is their turd 30 mbps upload
Click Here to check my HOFO Feedback
Ebay Feedback
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1401 posts
846 upvotes
Markham
Mulder and Scully wrote: Called in to Rogers again to cancel a few days ago. Told the rep 1.) My current Ignite 150 is $111/month compared the the retail being $85/month; 2.) Bell is offering new customers TV and Fibre 25 for $99/month -- I received a flyer in the mail for this from Bell.

The rep took about 30 seconds and reduced by current plan (Ignite 150 and Select TV with extra Fairchild channel) to match Bell, though the rep did point out that Rogers' internet is faster than Bell's. I'm now paying $100/month. I need to see my first bill to see what the discounts are. I already own my Rogers HDPVR box (good grief three years of that rental fee paid).

sorry for slightly off topic. So you think with 2 netflix + youtube streaming at the same time, 75-150u is a big enuf pipe. I am not having any luck with renewing my 500u so thinking either switching to Fido 75 for $32.50 or Carrytel 150 for $50 per (Rogers wants $80+ even for the 300u...)
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4391 posts
944 upvotes
Shiznacka wrote: I have Bell 1.5gbps and I use the full 1 at times when my newsgroups are in full throttle.
Actually, yea when I was using newsgroups then I could max out my 500mbit but it was inconsistent and required at least 8 concurrent connections to Astraweb. Though I was usually in the 250-300mbit range on a wired connection.
savemoresaveoften wrote: So you think with 2 netflix + youtube streaming at the same time, 75-150u is a big enuf pipe.
Netflix/Youtube 4K needs about 25mbit. 1080p or HD needs 5mbit. General web surfing is even less.
Mar 4, 2009
562 posts
195 upvotes
Ottawa
Did a live chat with Rogers today, was offered this:

Popular TV + HD PVR + HD Box
Gigabit Internet + Modem
Basic Home Phone with 2 features + Free Canadian Long Distance + Unlisted Number
$121 + tax ($137.27 total)
$116 + tax ($131.61 total) if I wanted to go with Ignite500 instead of Gigabit.
No contract, discounts guaranteed for 1 year, but price not guaranteed.

I told her Bell had offered $99 and asked her to go cheaper, but she said this was as low as she could go. I said I'd think about it. From what I've read on here I should be able to get this package with gigabit speed for $115, so I'll try one more, if they won't do I'll probably just go with the Ignite500 to save the $5/month.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1401 posts
846 upvotes
Markham
Mulder and Scully wrote: Actually, yea when I was using newsgroups then I could max out my 500mbit but it was inconsistent and required at least 8 concurrent connections to Astraweb. Though I was usually in the 250-300mbit range on a wired connection.

Netflix/Youtube 4K needs about 25mbit. 1080p or HD needs 5mbit. General web surfing is even less.
Thats good info. Is it safe to say if 500u is more like 300mbit on average, I would expect a 75u from Fido to be also average out to be 60%, which gives me 45mbit actual pipe ? But then thats still good for multiple 1080p streaming concurrently I guess. Dont have 4k tv yet so wont be the power user for now.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4391 posts
944 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: Is it safe to say if 500u is more like 300mbit on average, I would expect a 75u from Fido to be also average out to be 60%, which gives me 45mbit actual pipe ?
It's more complicated than this. If you're on a wired connection, with your computer's ethernet supporting gigabit (1000Base-T/GbE/1 GigE -- common in mid range computers) and you're using at least a Cat5e cable (also common today), then maxing out to 1 gigabit generally isn't an issue. Though you'll only download as fast as either the source server can provide or the weakest link.

If you're on a wireless connection then there are many more complications. Wireless 802.11b/g is slower than 802.11n, which is slower than 802.11ac. Most entry to mid range computers and mobile devices use 802.11gb because it's cheaper. Then there's also 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz connections, the former having the benefit of better penetration through multiple walls but the latter having much faster transmission speeds. Wireless also carries a lot of overhead so while 802.11ac has an ideal laboratory speed of 1.2 gigabits/second, in the real world overhead will reduce that speed by 40% and the same applies to 802.11n and 802.11b/g as well. It's almost always these differences when people get 300 megabit internet at home but then complain to Rogers/Bell/Telus about their $300 laptop only getting 30 megabit wireless speeds.

Your Fido 75u will get you 75 megabits/sec both on a wired connection and wireless 802.11n/ac if on 5Ghz.
Apr 22, 2015
247 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
After cancelling my services for the end of this month, this is what I have been getting lately on wireless. In 2 yrs with 500mbps internet service I have never seen my download speed at this level.
Are you trying to win me back Rogers?
Images
  • 59106CA5-CB43-4906-BB69-6D1D627307C2.jpeg
  • 60552E07-C24E-4FC3-B6E9-3AF756DE2B9B.jpeg
Nov 1, 2013
34 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Only took 36 minutes and I got Gigabit Internet + Popular TV including modem rental and 2 PVRs for $99.99. I live in the Maple area of Vaughan, Ontario. I don't live in a Bell FTTH area. Typically I have to speak to multiple agents and it takes days to renegotiate, but tonight - 1 person (Evan) and no escalation. It is only for 12 months - I tried to push for 24 months. I probably could have pushed for Premier but I don't really need it so I'm thrilled as I was paying $117.99 previously. Thanks to everyone for all of their help here!!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

injuredcold