Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Jun 1, 2005
270 posts
49 upvotes
zamar81 wrote: @Fallen_One

What were Rogers speed test results the techs run on their laptops during service visits?

If they hit 800, and you hit 450, that's your equipment problem. If they hit less than 700 on their own laptops, you can request a tech supervisor visit to check your house box. They in turn later can request Rogers Maintenance visit to check the street box, from which the cable is run to your house box. Looking at your signal levels, everything seems fine, but their modem diag is more comprehensive, and they can do it remotely too. As to 30up downfalls, I suspect the residential plan global settings don't match well your grandfathered plan. Its rather a network management issue. I know some subscribers are getting higher modem config speeds without asking if there is such mismatch, so can't exclude lowering speeds too on CMTS side. Consider jumping to 1000/50 Small Business sub, and possibly even given a Retention deal. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
With the Techs: With 3 visits, not one of them ever entered my home, and not one of them ever communicated with me while they were still on the site. Only 1 called, 30min later, to say they changed a wire outside that seemed corroded (that was the 2nd guy out of 3). I was home each time, as per Rogers instructions, and with my laptop ready to go --but they never came in, and the single guy who called never said his speeds except "yeah, seems oK within range".

With the Uploads: I suspected as much. Seems a morning reboot might be best plan to help that. I guess finally upgrading my Hitron modem wouldn't help in any way either.

With the Business Plan: Small Business Sub? I checked it out and got a quote on the Rogers Business site tonight. All things being equal, is there *any* technical advantage over Business? I mean, outside of poor hours for support (because no account changes after business hours).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
Fallen_One wrote: With the Techs: With 3 visits, not one of them ever entered my home, and not one of them ever communicated with me while they were still on the site. Only 1 called, 30min later, to say they changed a wire outside that seemed corroded (that was the 2nd guy out of 3). I was home each time, as per Rogers instructions, and with my laptop ready to go --but they never came in, and the single guy who called never said his speeds except "yeah, seems oK within range".

With the Uploads: I suspected as much. Seems a morning reboot might be best plan to help that. I guess finally upgrading my Hitron modem wouldn't help in any way either.

With the Business Plan: Small Business Sub? I checked it out and got a quote on the Rogers Business site tonight. All things being equal, is there *any* technical advantage over Business? I mean, outside of poor hours for support (because no account changes after business hours).
biz internet in a residential area? Doesn't make much of a difference to be quite honest besides rushed tech support.

Now, I know in the industry a ton of sales reps try to sell you that or additional static IPs (partly because biz has higher commission structures), don't fall for it if I were you.

Now, if you were in a commercial area, then it's a different story.
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Fallen_One wrote: I had signed up for the awesome $99 / mo VIP + 1gb unlimited internet package last year around this time, and my deal ends in 2 weeks. The best counter they can offer now is double the price lol: $220 for gigabit internet + popular TV --but with *lower* upload speeds for my current gigabit internet. For me to *just* keep the 1000/50 and shut out cable-TV and give back the HDPVR comes to $149.99 + tax (vs. my current $99.99 + tax for everything).
By jumping to Business sub your modem will likely get assigned to a different Rogers router port, with varying QoS settings, and possibly get a different standard config pushed to the modem, so 30up dropping may be gone. By asking Retention about Business acc, you might get a discount and go back to $99 on a 2-year term - did you try?

By getting CODA modem you'll get PUMA 7 chipset, DOCSIS 3.1 with OFDM enabled, and better latency & jitter, especially with latest trial FW. This may in fact jump your line speeds to 1GB itself.

If 3 techs never entered your home, this may be repeat violation of their company contract with Rogers, and you may be entitled for a partial refund, if lengthy speed mismatch to your plan was seemingly caused by bad service. File a ticket with Rogers support, request tech supervisor visit to your home. Pickup CODA modem and setup trial FW before he comes. Ask him to show on his laptop, what speeds he's getting wired to modem, are their any signal defects? If there is a problem with speed on CMTS end, he'll request Maintenance visit. This is all unrelated to your home equipment, which in turn may also slow down speeds unless you test otherwise on LAN. Keep in mind, router CPU doesn't get involved much in LAN-to-LAN traffic as its controlled by the integrated switch chipset, while CPU is fully engaged in LAN-to-WAN and WiFi traffic, so your router chipset models, FW built, and settings all play into it, including packet processing offloads you set. With custom FW you may be able to monitor router CPU loads at varying settings and how it affects speed. If you use Netgear 2300 as mentioned you should be OK for Gig wired, and good WiFi speeds.

I think zaidyboy may be right in terms of CMTS global settings in residential areas, but time goes on, and Rogers dynamically changes their setup for everything hardware wise, and also improves business processes. They are also running fiber to street boxes now in many places. I however dislike the fact they now pay for repeat tech visits instead of requiring the contractor company to complete the task for a lump sum payment. Your case may be an exception anyway, if they never checked wiring inside the house (at least at demarc point) and didn't measure speeds & signals wired to your modem. In fact, you may not have proper wiring at all in your home.

See also: Understanding your Internet and Digital Cable Installation. Same procedures should apply for service tech visits, otherwise how would they troubleshoot?
Cable Noise affects speeds, so its important to check cabling inside the house, as Rogers is responsible for their rented equipment performance installed in the house, including at least one properly working jack inside the demarc box in your house. So ask the supervisor to hook the modem to that jack, connect his laptop and test speeds.
Last edited by zamar81 on Nov 4th, 2017 9:43 am, edited 9 times in total.
Nov 2, 2017
3 posts
Hello, I am wondering about cable only packages. I have been a rogers customer for this service for over 35 years. Was on a promo then got hit with $205.59 every 3 months for their premium package (one above popular package). Best offer I got so far with retentions was 165.22 every 3 months. Would cancelling and calling winback get it down more or do they only deal with bundle packages? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
Davey0769 wrote: Hello, I am wondering about cable only packages. I have been a rogers customer for this service for over 35 years. Was on a promo then got hit with $205.59 every 3 months for their premium package (one above popular package). Best offer I got so far with retentions was 165.22 every 3 months. Would cancelling and calling winback get it down more or do they only deal with bundle packages? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Not sure if i'm reading this right: You're paying $205.59 every 3 months for premium cable only i.e. $68.53/month? You complained, and were offered 165.22 every 3 months = $55.07 / month ?? If those numbers are correct, i'd be amazed if you could find something cheaper.

Also - Do you prepay 3 months at a time, or is it at the end of the 3 month term? Is this still a billing method offered (that possibly included additional discounts on top of existing discounts?) - If I could get an extra discount on top of my existing discount just by prepaying quarterly, i'd jump at that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
cleacy1972 wrote: Not sure if i'm reading this right: You're paying $205.59 every 3 months for premium cable only i.e. $68.53/month? You complained, and were offered 165.22 every 3 months = $55.07 / month ?? If those numbers are correct, i'd be amazed if you could find something cheaper.

Also - Do you prepay 3 months at a time, or is it at the end of the 3 month term? Is this still a billing method offered (that possibly included additional discounts on top of existing discounts?) - If I could get an extra discount on top of my existing discount just by prepaying quarterly, i'd jump at that.
I would have to agree , this is actually a pretty decent deal for a cable only package.
Jun 4, 2016
255 posts
76 upvotes
zaidyboy wrote: That's an incredible deal. I assume that's before taxes?
Yep before taxes. I'm still going with bell. I got the $99 better tv, home phone and gigabit deal. I wanna try them out, I know I'm gonna lose the vip cable package anyway when my contract is up in June (I have the $99 vip gigabit deal) plus bell gave me $100 prepaid visa to leave rogers.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
molombian wrote: Yep before taxes. I'm still going with bell. I got the $99 better tv, home phone and gigabit deal. I wanna try them out, I know I'm gonna lose the vip cable package anyway when my contract is up in June (I have the $99 vip gigabit deal) plus bell gave me $100 prepaid visa to leave rogers.
Both are great deals, good job!

If you do choose to come back to Rogers, there are always field sales promos.

Win-Win for you at the end of it all :)
Jun 1, 2005
270 posts
49 upvotes
zaidyboy wrote: biz internet in a residential area? Doesn't make much of a difference to be quite honest besides rushed tech support.

Now, I know in the industry a ton of sales reps try to sell you that or additional static IPs (partly because biz has higher commission structures), don't fall for it if I were you.

Now, if you were in a commercial area, then it's a different story.
Good to know, thanks! Given DDNS, static IP has little use to me.
Jun 1, 2005
270 posts
49 upvotes
zamar81 wrote: By jumping to Business sub your modem will likely get assigned to a different Rogers router port, with varying QoS settings, and possibly get a different standard config pushed to the modem, so 30up dropping may be gone. By asking Retention about Business acc, you might get a discount and go back to $99 on a 2-year term - did you try?

By getting CODA modem you'll get PUMA 7 chipset, DOCSIS 3.1 with OFDM enabled, and better latency & jitter, especially with latest trial FW. This may in fact jump your line speeds to 1GB itself.

If 3 techs never entered your home, this may be repeat violation of their company contract with Rogers, and you may be entitled for a partial refund, if lengthy speed mismatch to your plan was seemingly caused by bad service. File a ticket with Rogers support, request tech supervisor visit to your home. Pickup CODA modem and setup trial FW before he comes. Ask him to show on his laptop, what speeds he's getting wired to modem, are their any signal defects? If there is a problem with speed on CMTS end, he'll request Maintenance visit. This is all unrelated to your home equipment, which in turn may also slow down speeds unless you test otherwise on LAN. Keep in mind, router CPU doesn't get involved much in LAN-to-LAN traffic as its controlled by the integrated switch chipset, while CPU is fully engaged in LAN-to-WAN and WiFi traffic, so your router chipset models, FW built, and settings all play into it, including packet processing offloads you set. With custom FW you may be able to monitor router CPU loads at varying settings and how it affects speed. If you use Netgear 2300 as mentioned you should be OK for Gig wired, and good WiFi speeds.

I think zaidyboy may be right in terms of CMTS global settings in residential areas, but time goes on, and Rogers dynamically changes their setup for everything hardware wise, and also improves business processes. They are also running fiber to street boxes now in many places. I however dislike the fact they now pay for repeat tech visits instead of requiring the contractor company to complete the task for a lump sum payment. Your case may be an exception anyway, if they never checked wiring inside the house (at least at demarc point) and didn't measure speeds & signals wired to your modem. In fact, you may not have proper wiring at all in your home.

See also: Understanding your Internet and Digital Cable Installation. Same procedures should apply for service tech visits, otherwise how would they troubleshoot?
Cable Noise affects speeds, so its important to check cabling inside the house, as Rogers is responsible for their rented equipment performance installed in the house, including at least one properly working jack inside the demarc box in your house. So ask the supervisor to hook the modem to that jack, connect his laptop and test speeds.
Thanks for the insight into recourse from all the techs visiting, without ever seeing them too. These phantom techs ;) The holdout on CODA has been the horrible reviews, people's constant dropping in speeds, issues, etc. I think at this point it's only for people using it as a router as well and their WiFi, versus using it as a straight modem in bridge mode (which is what I've always done). Fingers crossed. Once you switch, you can't go back. I don't have time for weeks of back-and-forth tech support as to why speeds drop to near zero 24-hrs after a reboot, an apparently common occurrence when I looked at it back in March.

I went with 'Business' version, they and the CSR essentially agreed after trying/checking all their deals that it was by far the better deal. They essentially just have to swap out the modem, and off we go. We'll see. At least I get to keep the 1000/50.
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
Just keep in mind, horrible CODA reviews come from folks who mostly understand very little if anything about what they review. Face With Tears Of Joy To share personal experience, not a single time was my speed dropped thus far from values that are achievable on my LAN and also correlate with sub level. As time goes on, old "reviews" quickly become obsolete. There were multiple trial FW builds released for various Rogers deployed modems, all auto updated. Latest production FW .32 is stable. Some issues remain, but you might not notice them in daily use depending on usage pattern. Rogers will keep jointly with Hitron modifying FW and infrastructure aiming to bring eventually high speed upstream up with CODA.

The tech can bring you a modem you requested when checking the line. Honestly, I'd just check the speed on the tech laptop at demarc point, and if it shows 450 after 3 tech visits, would ask to document, take a photo, and request all the sub prorated back from the get go. But for that there're other hands-on advisors here. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes Hope you got a deal on your plan, given what you're coming from.
Last edited by zamar81 on Nov 4th, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
zamar81 wrote: Just keep in mind, horrible CODA reviews come from folks who mostly understand very little if anything about what they review. Face With Tears Of Joy To share personal experience, not a single time was my speed dropped thus far from values that are achievable on my LAN and also correlate with sub level. As time goes on, old "reviews" quickly become obsolete. There were multiple trial FW builds released for various Rogers deployed modems, all auto updated. Latest production FW .32 is stable. Some issues remain, but you might not notice them in daily use depending on usage pattern. Rogers will keep jointly with Hitron modifying FW and infrastructure aiming to bring eventually high speed upstream up with CODA.

The tech can bring you a modem you requested when checking the line. Honestly, I'd just check the speed on the tech laptop at demarc point, and if it shows 450 after 3 tech visits, would ask to document, take a photo, and request all the sub prorated back from the get go. But for that there're other hands-on advisors here. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes Hope you got a deal on Business plan, given what you're coming from.
@zamar81 you've brought up switching to a small business plan a few times on this thread. Although the idea of a residential customer acquiring small business services to get a better deal is not against forum rules (unless it's self-promoting), it's somewhat off-topic and the discussion should remain about residential services.

Small business services make sense if:
  • the user runs a business
  • tax write-off's (again if they run a business)
  • User requires features not available to the residential market (maybe static IP), that's something you'd know better than me
  • User runs a gaming centre out of their home and needs commercial-grade service
Now that you've mentioned small business internet on Rogers enough times, I'm sure anyone with questions about that will ask you, and to that you're free to answer.

Now please stay on-topic and no need to bring up small business services. If you don't, there's nothing we moderators can do to spare you from downvotes.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: you've brought up switching to a small business plan a few times on this thread. Although the idea of a residential customer acquiring small business services to get a better deal is not against forum rules (unless it's self-promoting), it's somewhat off-topic and the discussion should remain about residential services.
Thanks for the advice. Note, the topic title doesn't say its limited to residential customers. The member was asking about 50up speed, which is currently only available to Small Business and up, unless on grandfathered plans, which Rogers doubled the price for this year compare to earlier deals, to some subscribers long before their deal expired. I asked the member about the purpose of 50up, but its probably private info he didn't want to share. It looks the guy who complained about it to you, is upset with his PM removed from this topic Summary, where it was placed for a long time contrary to forum rules, or his control of this thread questioned. The below quote misleads saying plan choice makes "no difference" and static IP is the prime offer of business plans, while Rogers clearly offers almost twice higher upload speeds with Gigabit for Business plans. In contrast, I never asked anyone to send me PMs. If you believe, Rogers customers can't ask for upload higher than 30Mbps in this thread, pls correct its title to reflect its only for residential plans. But if you think the forum members needs should be put 1st, then plan classification doesn't matter much. We can also start a separate thread on business plans, though can't force members to disclose their usage and post in it. So its up to mods to decide. Winking Face
Fallen_One wrote: I'll cut my downloads from 1000 to 300 if I can get at least 50mbps again.
Fallen_One wrote: I had signed up for the awesome $99 / mo VIP + 1gb unlimited internet package last year around this time, and my deal ends in 2 weeks. After talking with field reps, and Rogers online chat, seems there is nothing comparable. The best counter they can offer is double the price lol: $220 for gigabit internet + popular TV --but with *lower* upload speeds for my current gigabit internet.
Essentially, it was 1000/50 when I signed up and their packages now are 1000/30. So, if I take their double-price deal I also get my UP reduced from 50 to 30. Upload is the main thing I care about lol. Cut my download in half for all I care, seeing as I never get anywhere close to it.
Oh well. For me to *just* keep the 1000/50 and shut out cable-TV and give back the HDPVR comes to $149.99 + tax (vs. my current $99.99 + tax for everything).
zaidyboy wrote: biz internet in a residential area? Doesn't make much of a difference to be quite honest besides rushed tech support. I know in the industry a ton of sales reps try to sell you that or additional static IPs
Last edited by zamar81 on Nov 5th, 2017 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
molombian wrote: Yep before taxes. I'm still going with bell. I got the $99 better tv, home phone and gigabit deal. I wanna try them out, I know I'm gonna lose the vip cable package anyway when my contract is up in June (I have the $99 vip gigabit deal) plus bell gave me $100 prepaid visa to leave rogers.
For the record you wouldn't lose Digital VIP unless you switch to another cable package - it can't be arbitrarily removed from your account. Having said that I think you meant the price increase would have resulted in you changing packages so hopefully Bell's Better TV package is comparable? I'm not familiar.

Was your Bell deal a 2 year commitment? Is the price guaranteed for 2 years?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
100Pacer wrote: For the record you wouldn't lose Digital VIP unless you switch to another cable package - it can't be arbitrarily removed from your account. Having said that I think you meant the price increase would have resulted in you changing packages so hopefully Bell's Better TV package is comparable? I'm not familiar.

Was your Bell deal a 2 year commitment? Is the price guaranteed for 2 years?
I don’t think Bell promotions are price guarenteed.
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
zaidyboy wrote: I don’t think Bell promotions are price guarenteed.
Bell doesn't guarantee prices at all, they guarantee set dollar amount discounts off (to be changed) base prices.

I have also seen a lot of recent promotions from them with 2 year contracts, but the discount only valid for the first year of the contract (The second year, you're on contract at full price)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
cleacy1972 wrote: Bell doesn't guarantee prices at all, they guarantee set dollar amount discounts off (to be changed) base prices.

I have also seen a lot of recent promotions from them with 2 year contracts, but the discount only valid for the first year of the contract (The second year, you're on contract at full price)
Yes, Bell has been doing that for quite some time now. I remember when we got offered first year free on Bell Fibe ‘back in the day’ then it would jump up to full price in the 2nd year. I can’t remember if it was a 2 or 3 year contract.

As of recent, Rogers has started to change their promotions to savings guaranteed as well.
Oct 17, 2017
378 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
cleacy1972 wrote: The second year, you're on contract at full price
That sounds like a bad or mediocre deal if full price is high. Are there any current CRTC set penalty limitations when canceling an internet sub contract earlier?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2724 posts
2297 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
zaidyboy wrote: Yes, Bell has been doing that for quite some time now. I remember when we got offered first year free on Bell Fibe ‘back in the day’ then it would jump up to full price in the 2nd year. I can’t remember if it was a 2 or 3 year contract.

As of recent, Rogers has started to change their promotions to savings guaranteed as well.
The thing I dislike about Bell is the (up to) 10% increase on services year over year.

They might snag a customer with a low ball offer and/or $100 prepaid Visa but in the long run the numbers don't add up in your favour once the discount drops off.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
zamar81 wrote: Thanks for the advice. Note, the topic title doesn't say its limited to residential customers. The member was asking about 50up speed, which is currently only available to Small Business and up, unless on grandfathered plans, which Rogers doubled the price for this year compare to earlier deals, to some subscribers long before their deal expired. I asked the member about the purpose of 50up, but its probably private info he didn't want to share. It looks the guy who complained about it to you, is upset with his PM removed from this topic Summary, where it was placed for a long time contrary to forum rules, or his control of this thread questioned. The below quote misleads saying plan choice makes "no difference" and static IP is the prime offer of business plans, while Rogers clearly offers almost twice higher upload speeds with Gigabit for Business plans. In contrast, I never asked anyone to send me PMs. If you believe, Rogers customers can't ask for upload higher than 30Mbps in this thread, pls correct its title to reflect its only for residential plans. But if you think the forum members needs should be put 1st, then plan classification doesn't matter much. We can also start a separate thread on business plans, though can't force members to disclose their usage and post in it. So its up to mods to decide. Winking Face
Thank you @zamar81 for your explanation. If a user requests a feature that's small business exclusive (not available to residential) such as upload speeds or static IP, then it's ok to mention it, but the focus of this thread should be on residential. There is a small business forum here at RFD. You can create a thread there. It's understood that any thread outside of that forum is for the consumer market (unless thread title says small business, then the thread will probably be moved).

Btw I never said you asked for PM's.

Requirements for a small business account are different from consumer and can change any time, so not everyone on this thread qualifies for a small business account. The target audience for this thread is consumer, please keep that in mind when you post.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

YZFR15