Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
I signed up for the gigabit internet + tv + phone package back in Feb. i wasn’t impacted by the price increase in March. But I just got a letter from Rogers telling me there will be another price increase on May 6. This is absurd, how can they increase prices every few months? Is there anything I can do?
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
hdub8817 wrote: I signed up for the gigabit internet + tv + phone package back in Feb. i wasn’t impacted by the price increase in March. But I just got a letter from Rogers telling me there will be another price increase on May 6. This is absurd, how can they increase prices every few months? Is there anything I can do?
First i've heard of this. Redact any personal information, and post the letter perhaps?
Feb 18, 2014
513 posts
310 upvotes
hdub8817 wrote: I signed up for the gigabit internet + tv + phone package back in Feb. i wasn’t impacted by the price increase in March. But I just got a letter from Rogers telling me there will be another price increase on May 6. This is absurd, how can they increase prices every few months? Is there anything I can do?
Are you sure??
If possible, post a copy of the letter you received. (edit out any personal info)
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
bobby621 wrote:
Are you sure??
If possible, post a copy of the letter you received. (edit out any personal info)
Maybe I read it wrong, but this letter is really confusing to read. Now it sounds like they made a mistake and I’ll pay more than $99.99 a month starting on May 6.
E95A26DC-FD7A-4EFB-91E6-93AF60983A9B.jpeg
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
hdub8817 wrote: Maybe I read it wrong, but this letter is really confusing to read. Now it sounds like they made a mistake and I’ll pay more than $99.99 a month starting on May 6.

E95A26DC-FD7A-4EFB-91E6-93AF60983A9B.jpeg
It would appear to say that because you subscribed to a non-price locked package (it was discount locked) just before the March rate increase it hasn't effected you properly (yet) but will from May 6th+. It would be specific to yourself or other people in a similar situation, not a general rate increase. Any billing of it that has occured between your start date and May 6th will be credited back to you because they hadn't provided you with notice of it (They have now).
Dec 26, 2012
466 posts
145 upvotes
MILTON
cleacy1972 wrote: It would appear to say that because you subscribed to a non-price locked package (it was discount locked) just before the March rate increase it hasn't effected you properly (yet) but will from May 6th+. It would be specific to yourself or other people in a similar situation, not a general rate increase. Any billing of it that has occured between your start date and May 6th will be credited back to you because they hadn't provided you with notice of it (They have now).
Thanks for the clarification. Before I signed up I confirmed with the field rep that my price was locked in for 2 years. I even have the email record of it. I will speak to Rogers once I see my bill.
KOODO
TANGERINE BANK
Apr 4, 2018
49 posts
13 upvotes
cleacy1972 wrote: You're almost always going to get offered something more then you're currently paying. If it's not lower or identical to your current cost, you can get a better offer.

Some things to think about:

Phoneline: Why Rogers home phone vs VOIP vs cell? You can get a VOIP line for a couple dollars (or less) a month. You'd mentioned having cell (4 lines). Why keep the land line?

Television: Any reason you're going with the highest price package now? Of the hundreds of channels you have/ or will have, which ones actually get watched?

Internet: There's 75mb internet packages available from TPIA providers in the $30-50/month range. How fast of a speed do you need, and how much do you want to be paying for it?

My price target on phone/internet/cable (excluding cell) has been < $100/month after tax, and i've been able to meet that pricing or a couple dollars over for years now.
All valid points. Yes, we still have a land line which I never use for outgoing but it is the '4th service' with Rogers which turns out to save us money on the Better Choice Bundles it triggers which a $23.40/month savings on the cell phones and the land line costs $19.99 month. It includes US calling which we usually have 20 or 30 minutes a month of. Basically the only time the phone is used for outgoing.

TV. We're in Ottawa. We'd like HD major networks and speciality channels and the TSN/Sportsnet channels. We like Documentary Channel, National Geographic, BBC Canada, Food Network. As you're all aware Rogers spreads out the channels so if you have diverse tastes naturally you need a higher end package

Internet. We're on 100 mb now and it is fine but I gather 100 is no longer available. We have Netflix and laptops using the Wifi at different parts of the house so 100 is fine and 150 would be better. Not sure if 75 would do it.

I'll push again closer to the drop dead day of early May. Is there a direct loyalty line anymore or do you have to go through the lower level people first.

Thanks anybody and everybody for tips.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2006
5342 posts
2809 upvotes
Northside
cleacy1972 wrote: It would appear to say that because you subscribed to a non-price locked package (it was discount locked) just before the March rate increase it hasn't effected you properly (yet) but will from May 6th+. It would be specific to yourself or other people in a similar situation, not a general rate increase. Any billing of it that has occured between your start date and May 6th will be credited back to you because they hadn't provided you with notice of it (They have now).
exactly. It will only take into effect on May 6th
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1925 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
chowder wrote: I'm on the 2016 deal too and it's soon to expire. I'd be happy getting what you have. Just need to make time to call in.
Just called to change this and was told my deal doesn't expire until June 2020. Smiling Face With Open Mouth Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
MonkeyTennis wrote: Internet. We're on 100 mb now and it is fine but I gather 100 is no longer available. We have Netflix and laptops using the Wifi at different parts of the house so 100 is fine and 150 would be better. Not sure if 75 would do it.
An HD movie streaming takes up to 5-8 Mbps ONLY. So, do your math.. How many users do you have streaming at the same time?

BTW, 75Mbps seems not available anymore on Rogers web site (60 Mbps instead now?).

I've 150 Mbps now, and I'm thinking about downgrading to 60 Mbps. I need high download speeds only from time to time, and I can wait for some more minutes (or even an hour) for them to finish,
so why to overpay all the time for the speed one does not use?
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
MonkeyTennis wrote: TV. We're in Ottawa. We'd like HD major networks and speciality channels and the TSN/Sportsnet channels. We like Documentary Channel, National Geographic, BBC Canada, Food Network. As you're all aware Rogers spreads out the channels so if you have diverse tastes naturally you need a higher end package

Internet. We're on 100 mb now and it is fine but I gather 100 is no longer available. We have Netflix and laptops using the Wifi at different parts of the house so 100 is fine and 150 would be better. Not sure if 75 would do it.
If you're getting a promotional discount across all packages > the cost of the landline because it's a '4th package', it might be worth having. Just don't get dependent on it if anything changes that you can't just drop it easily.

TV: At the time Rogers re-aligned all their TV packages, the equivalent to VIP was Popular. Now that they're into renewals, the equiv is Premier. That being said, the specific channels you listed (Network, Sportsnet, Doc Channel, National Geographic, BBC Canada, Food Network) are all available with popular. If you were to just keep VIP as undiscounted/full retail (since the promotion they offered you didn't have much of a cable discount) the cost on VIP is $85/month.

Internet: I was previously gigabit, and in anticipation of switching to TPIA had tested my connection (5 adults, multiple simultaneous netflix streams) artificially capped at 75mb/10mb at the router. Rogers gave me a much better pricing package so I remained but I had no issues in my testing. I could change at any time if needed.

You could definitely cut your costs, a big thing would be how much time you want to spend making a decision on need vs want vs (why do I have this?) and obtaining a better price.
Jan 9, 2011
411 posts
45 upvotes
Here we go again.. cancelled my services. Let’s see what they offer now.
Sep 22, 2017
19 posts
16 upvotes
Currently on $99 gigabit/vip package expiring next month. I tried to jump on the 500U $24.99 promo when it was active. Went through managers chat 3 times and called in twice. Rejected all 5 times due to postal code restriction. However, during one of the chats they did say they’d forward my request to Office of the President. Office called a week later, after 500U promo was pulled, didn’t have to explain anything, said they already looked at my account and my chat with the previous rep and would add 500U to my account for $24.99. Would also be able to retain VIP with 30% discount. So now paying $124 incl taxes for 500U + VIP with HDPVR. $10 more than my current promo but worth it as I really wanted to keep VIP with a discount and in all my prior manager chats and phone calls they kept saying I had to switch to premier or pay full price for VIP. If you can get escalated to Office of the President, seems like the best option, no fuss and they can provide discounts on legacy cable packages.
Dec 22, 2008
94 posts
Hi,

I have been with Rogers for over 10 years and have Cell Phone and TV with them.

I pay
Basic Cable - 42.49
Digital Services Fee - 2.99
Customer Choice Package - 2.79
Total monthly charges - $48.27 Pre Tax

I only need TV for The Weather Network, CP24, CTV, CBC and BBC.

What can I expect if I call the retention line or chat with them online?
Sep 21, 2015
526 posts
184 upvotes
London, ON
Arghoslent wrote: Hi,

I have been with Rogers for over 10 years and have Cell Phone and TV with them.

I pay
Basic Cable - 42.49
Digital Services Fee - 2.99
Customer Choice Package - 2.79
Total monthly charges - $48.27 Pre Tax

I only need TV for The Weather Network, CP24, CTV, CBC and BBC.

What can I expect if I call the retention line or chat with them online?
I'd guess they'll offer to upgrade you to popular (that includes those channels) with a 1yr discounted rate of $49.99 . You'll also lose the package/pricing you currently have.

However - With the channel selection you want, you could also build that yourself using starter tv (24.99) + cdn news theme pack ($5) + bbc ($4) = $33.99+tax

Keep in mind though you're on a grandfathered (Basic Cable) package. Can't remember, but i'd guess while you might not watch them that package likely
includes a lot of channels not in starter (sports in particular). Starter is also only a single cable outlet - If you want more, you have to pay.

At the difference in price and price you're currently paying, you're likely better off staying as you are.
Apr 6, 2009
102 posts
34 upvotes
100Pacer wrote: Baller indeed.
LOL thanks!!
CheapMang wrote: Lol you sound like my father. He watches these japanese channels on IPTV and doesn't understand japanese at all. Just likes the culture and wants to learn about it.
LOL...yes very true
Apr 6, 2009
102 posts
34 upvotes
I have been meaning to update...couldn't because the week was full of madness...

My package:

HD VIP + free pvr + 500 U (24.99) + Desi Prestige Package --> 168.30 taxes in + 1 free month (170 credit) + Price is NOT Guaranteed ...the one month credit brings the bill to $154.28 a month

rogers-cable-retentions-new-customers-d ... #p29130017

On April 1st I accepted the new promotion...the rep said a tech would come out with the 500 U new modem because there are none in the Rogers stores.

THE 2 MAIN ISSUES:

1) My Bill is $ 460.00 ???? This happened last time when I renewed as well. On "my rogers" the details are all wrong I am being charged $154.28 for TV alone that should be for both services.

2) They took me off HDVIP and put me on VIP without my permission. I never agreed to this. I had received as email on April 1st about changes to my account it stated:

500 U: 24.99 + VIP 81.99 = 106.98 --> 120.89 taxes in. (HD VIP removed and VIP added).

This is not what I agreed to and is completely different from the 168.30 taxes in. I believe the agent I spoke with on April 1st entered my promo wrong. I didn't notice until Saturday night (April 7th) when love nature, HIFI, BBC World, Smithsonian, Discovery Velocity were missing. Some reason TLN is still there. Tech support told me those are not included in VIP and only in HD VIP. He told me I have to contact customer service. I made it very clear I wanted to keep my HD VIP and if I were losing all those channels why wouldn't I merely accept the newer premier package?

I swear these channels were working earlier this week. The email didn't even registered in my head until I noticed the removed channels. I so occupied dealing my energy audit and changing my HVAC system I didn't even notice until Saturday Night. I guess that's how they get you.

Will customer service fix my bill and honor my HD VIP? It clear this is not the package I accepted...Any thoughts/advice on what I should do?
Nov 26, 2006
714 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
I'm currently with Bell and I have the following:

1. Basic home phone
2. Basic Fibe TV
3. Gigabit Fibe Internet

My bill was around $63 with tax included for all three services. Now it's $68 with taxes in. Yes, it is an amazing deal but I don't like Bell as a provider.

I don't use the landline and I barely watch TV. My internet is pretty fast; I usually manage to get around half the speeds promised (usually get between 300 to 700 Mbps) and my upload speed is 100Mbps. Is there a Rogers internet only deal that would be better in terms of pricing? Is asking for Ignite Gigabit internet for $60-$70 taxes in a bit too much?
Apr 6, 2009
102 posts
34 upvotes
pricecheck wrote: I'm currently with Bell and I have the following:

1. Basic home phone
2. Basic Fibe TV
3. Gigabit Fibe Internet

My bill was around $63 with tax included for all three services. Now it's $68 with taxes in. Yes, it is an amazing deal but I don't like Bell as a provider.

I don't use the landline and I barely watch TV. My internet is pretty fast; I usually manage to get around half the speeds promised (usually get between 300 to 700 Mbps) and my upload speed is 100Mbps. Is there a Rogers internet only deal that would be better in terms of pricing? Is asking for Ignite Gigabit internet for $60-$70 taxes in a bit too much?
I don't think you will get a better package, If your are able to get the 500 U for 24.99 or the 1 gig internet for 38 then maybe. From what I am reading they have made it harder to get those promotions.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1746 posts
1010 upvotes
100Pacer wrote: I'm confused: you mentioned wifi & speed issues - were they occurring with Gigabit service prior? Going forward still with Gigabit?
Yes my wifi was very slow all of a sudden, it turns out that the more wireless devices connected to anyone's house around my home affects my wireless network.

Speed was an issue as the exterior underground cord was damaged, they have fixed it and we are back near 940mb/s

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)