Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dxbender wrote: 8300 and 4250.
Oh dear. These are good for the museum if you ask me... though the fact that Rogers never (AFAIK) deployed MPEG4 means they've had a much longer lifespan than one might have expected in 2007 or so.

(I am trying to remember when I got my 8300; I think it was fall 2007)
Jan 4, 2008
942 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
VivienM wrote: Oh dear. These are good for the museum if you ask me... though the fact that Rogers never (AFAIK) deployed MPEG4 means they've had a much longer lifespan than one might have expected in 2007 or so.

(I am trying to remember when I got my 8300; I think it was fall 2007)
I know nobody probably wants it, but if anyone even wanted to offer anything, it's better than nothing.

Can they just be thrown away in the regular trash or does it have to be disposed of a diff way?
Last edited by dxbender on Dec 14th, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dxbender wrote: I know nobody probably wants it, but if anyone even wanted to offer anything, it's better than nothing.

Can they just be thrown away in the regular trash or does it have to be disposed of a diff way?
Oh, sure, and I would suggest posting an ad in the usual places in case someone does want it. It's unlikely but you never know...

I would presume they should be treated like any other e-waste. Pre-covid world, I would probably have dropped them off at Worst Buy's e-waste collection...
Jan 4, 2008
942 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
VivienM wrote: Oh, sure, and I would suggest posting an ad in the usual places in case someone does want it. It's unlikely but you never know...

I would presume they should be treated like any other e-waste. Pre-covid world, I would probably have dropped them off at Worst Buy's e-waste collection...
On those sites people want like $30+ for them lol. I figure if mine is much lower, someone might see it and think it's a deal.

I got my 8300 box thanks to this site (I think it's the reason I joined rfd). There was a clearance on refurbished boxes, and I got one. Somehow it had warranty on it so I exchanged it once it broke for one that worked. In the end, the shelf life of the box vs the price I paid to buy it had me paying an average of $1 a month for it lol.

Too bad theres nowhere to dispose of them. If I simply put it in the garbage bin, maybe they'll just dump it in the truck?
Jul 26, 2008
14 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
Rogers Homephone + Internet user is looking for a rep in L3P area.

Thank you very much!
Mar 9, 2009
65 posts
79 upvotes
Ottawa
What's the Rogers windback telephone #. I used to be a Rogers Internet customer but cancelled last summer. Now I am moving again, the Bell 1GB isn't offered at the new place.
Nov 18, 2008
113 posts
26 upvotes
Thornhill
Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I'm at my wits end.

Rogers says there is congestion in my area and will take months to fix so we're left with choppy internet while we're all trying to do school and zoom meetings. The Bell fibe speed sucks in my street. Is there any other option? I thought of fido or virgin internet but isn't that still cable/ dsl? Any options for affordable cellular internet at decent speeds? (not looking for much, just enough for 5 devices on zoom simultaneously)??

thanks in anticipation
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2255 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Live chatted and they offered ~$59 taxes in for gigabit. My plan didn't end until Feb, which I was paying $48 for 500u, and he offered the discount to activate afterwards but I didn't want to deal with hassle of them messing up and having to haggle at whatever discounts they'd have in 2 months.
Oct 26, 2010
12 posts
1 upvote
Current Rogers internet gigabit only customer.
Promo expires soon. Would like a rep contact about renewal.
London, N6H area. Please pm. Thank you,
Aug 24, 2009
852 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
8300 with the 500 GB manually upgraded HD is probably still the best Rogers box as it kept running SARA vs the RTN and newer buggy stuff :/
Oct 17, 2013
969 posts
716 upvotes
Master2031 wrote: I’m a new customer
I think it's a good deal but I would maybe push back on the price... Tell Rogers you know of people who got the same package for $79.99 or quote a bell offer if you have one...
Oct 17, 2013
969 posts
716 upvotes
dxbender wrote: Based on everyone switching, I dont suppose anyone would care for the old HDPVR (non 4k, not a Nextbox either) or old HD box (non pvr) to buy? I was told Rogers doesn't take those ones back so I'm stuck with them right now.

If not...do these boxes serve any purpose at all? Can I even access the hard drive anymore to watch my old recordings?
I thought maybe you could return the really old boxes via the Canada Post route, you just would get a credit for them...
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2017
1420 posts
774 upvotes
greygables wrote: I think it's a good deal but I would maybe push back on the price... Tell Rogers you know of people who got the same package for $79.99 or quote a bell offer if you have one...
Tried but I’m pretty sure the 79.99 is for new builds only.
Sep 19, 2013
45 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just got off the phone with Ambassador Rep.

Got Internet Ignite 1Gb Unlimited - $55+tax

12 months promotion, no contract.
Oct 22, 2016
781 posts
330 upvotes
toronto
I chatted online. This is what I get.

Ignite
500 dl
Popular tv package
One 4K box
250 MasterCard gift card
Month to month ( no contract )
$99 plus tax.

I only watch sports like NBA games. Is popular TV package worth it?
Jan 4, 2008
942 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
greygables wrote: I thought maybe you could return the really old boxes via the Canada Post route, you just would get a credit for them...
I asked them online and they said no. But when I went in store the person said I would. But I asked online again and quoted the person in store and the online person still said no.
May 19, 2016
37 posts
34 upvotes
kleinermuk wrote: Just got off the phone with Ambassador Rep.

Got Internet Ignite 1Gb Unlimited - $55+tax

12 months promotion, no contract.
What's the number that you used to contact them? Did you have to do the cancellation song & dance first, or were you able to speak to them without actually going through the cancellation process?
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
I am a current Rogers internet customer. Paying $85 per month. Looking to get a better deal on 500u or 1gbit. N2L area. Plz PM
Nov 23, 2012
315 posts
81 upvotes
tonyb wrote: Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I'm at my wits end.

Rogers says there is congestion in my area and will take months to fix so we're left with choppy internet while we're all trying to do school and zoom meetings. The Bell fibe speed sucks in my street. Is there any other option? I thought of fido or virgin internet but isn't that still cable/ dsl? Any options for affordable cellular internet at decent speeds? (not looking for much, just enough for 5 devices on zoom simultaneously)??

thanks in anticipation
What speed is Bell fibe in your area? If it's at least fibe 50 it should handle what you're looking for. I would rather have slower download speeds over a flaky congested cable connection. Virgin mobile internet has a RFD thread and people are getting 100 mbps for $37 with a $150 bill credit .

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)