Ongoing Deal Discussion

Rogers

Rogers Cable Retentions & New Customers Deal Thread! - If new, read OP/thread summary

Member
Apr 21, 2008
372 posts
490 upvotes
I've been trying to follow along with this thread and I'm so confused.

Not with the process, but with what people are paying for Rogers Internet & TV.

How are you people getting internet for $49??

I'm on a grandfathered Ignite75 Ultd Internet - $87 and "Popular" TV package - $65

I'm in the Toronto area. Not sure if that matters.

I just think I'm paying WAY too much and I can't figure out why.
Member
Aug 9, 2010
256 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
I went with the cancellation route last year and got a winback call to renew
legacy 500 + premier tv + fairchild + home phone for $111+tax
now that promo is ending soon, they're offering me a "promo" for the same thing for $181+tax!!
how's that a promo?

anyone has any luck getting anything decent recently?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2007
689 posts
812 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
mighty_chef wrote: I've been trying to follow along with this thread and I'm so confused.

Not with the process, but with what people are paying for Rogers Internet & TV.

How are you people getting internet for $49??

I'm on a grandfathered Ignite75 Ultd Internet - $87 and "Popular" TV package - $65

I'm in the Toronto area. Not sure if that matters.

I just think I'm paying WAY too much and I can't figure out why.
A lot of people pay full price and are not aware they can get better pricing.
In the past one could negotiate great pricing with retentions. Been doing this for years. This is no longer the case.
Sometimes there are offers on your MyRogers account page, They used to be good, but again not anymore.

Only way to get a deal is to follow the cancellation process.
rogers-rogers-cable-retentions-new-cust ... #p34398217
bbdino wrote: I went with the cancellation route last year and got a winback call to renew
legacy 500 + premier tv + fairchild + home phone for $111+tax
now that promo is ending soon, they're offering me a "promo" for the same thing for $181+tax!!
how's that a promo?

anyone has any luck getting anything decent recently?
Only way to get something decent as an existing customer is to follow the cancellation / winback process again.
rogers-rogers-cable-retentions-new-cust ... #p34398217

1st rule of RFD! ➡We don't talk about RFD!
2nd rule of RFD! ➡READ the OP (Original Post), Thread Summary and the current part of thread!
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2014
842 posts
741 upvotes
Well I used live chat last night and he put the cancel order for August 4th as requested (no bullshit it might auto cancel tmmrw)

Got a call back just before noon and gave Gigabit for 50$ for 12 months, I was paying 80 now so pretty happy and very fast turn over. Thanks again rfd
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1933 posts
593 upvotes
Esg876 wrote: Well I used live chat last night and he put the cancel order for August 4th as requested (no bullshit it might auto cancel tmmrw)

Got a call back just before noon and gave Gigabit for 50$ for 12 months, I was paying 80 now so pretty happy and very fast turn over. Thanks again rfd
How long have you been with them? I put an order in for Aug 1st cancellation and no callback... Aiming for $50 Gigabit as well (currently on 500U at $57+tax).

Has anyone cold-called winback recently? I haven't done it since a couple of years before pandemic hit so not sure if the agents on the other end will call bs on a winback cold-call
Sr. Member
Aug 14, 2014
842 posts
741 upvotes
malaujai wrote: How long have you been with them? I put an order in for Aug 1st cancellation and no callback... Aiming for $50 Gigabit as well (currently on 500U at $57+tax).

Has anyone cold-called winback recently? I haven't done it since a couple of years before pandemic hit so not sure if the agents on the other end will call bs on a winback cold-call
Several years, theirs a post on first page with winback numbers you can try to reach out if you put a cancellation in already and they havent called you for a few days
Jr. Member
May 26, 2016
148 posts
126 upvotes
mighty_chef wrote: How are you people getting internet for $49??

Prices around $50 are for only 1 service, Internet and usually Ignite not legacy.

mighty_chef wrote: I'm on a grandfathered Ignite75 Ultd Internet - $87 and "Popular" TV package - $65

For 2 services, Internet + TV lowest prices are around $100 and increase depending on the TV package.

I for one can't see any benefit for sticking to an ancient (grandfathered) plan, you could be on the same legacy and take advantage of whatever offers they have (300, 500, 1 Gigabit). Have you tried to chat and see what they can offer you?

If their offer isn't acceptable then go to the next step, cancellation, take cassador as an example (he got TV popular), $113 tax in.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2014
3815 posts
1777 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How long you will get winback call from the day you set the cancellation date? I saw some posts that they got the call within the day. Do you receive an email when you setup the cancellation date? I cancelled mine yesterday but have not receive an email nor winback call. I'll probably call winback tomorrow.
Member
Apr 21, 2008
372 posts
490 upvotes
mighty_chef wrote: How are you people getting internet for $49??
I'm on a grandfathered Ignite75 Ultd Internet - $87 and "Popular" TV package - $65
Thanks to this community and step-by-step how-to guide, we were able to keep our existing Internet & TV for a much cheaper price.

Existing Bill $144/mth
New Deal for 12 months - $124/mth

Process:
Called Yesterday (Monday) at 6pm to cancel our services.

We were offered the following:
Option 1 - IGNITE TV / Flex20 +sports / $140txmth
Option 2 - Flex10 / $129txmth
Option 3 - Keep existing for $8 more/mth

We insisted they move forward with cancellation of both internet and TV

This afternoon at 2pm we received a call from the Ambassador team.
They offered us similar packages from yesterday with a few dollars off.

We wanted to keep our existing package.

Through a series of discounts and free PVR, they were able to bring our monthly bill down by $20.

SO to recap, instead of paying $8 MORE per month, we're now paying $20 LESS per month.

Thanks again RFD Community. Now I have more money to spend on cocaine and hookers.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2007
689 posts
812 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
dogmusic wrote: Can Rogers take my cancellation seriously when I have EVERYTHING with them: internet, tv, home phone, cell phone? Would I really chance losing my home phone number?
@dogmusic I have never had home phone, so I can't speak to this.

Is your cellphone bundled with everything else. I always find it better to keep cellphone service separate.

So, if you cancel TV, internet and home phone and everything goes as it should, you will get offered a new deal and carry on.

If they screw up and cancel right away your home phone number is going to probably be lost. There is a risk here.

See if you can just cancel TV and internet.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this will chime in. I tried to find relevant posts but no luck.

1st rule of RFD! ➡We don't talk about RFD!
2nd rule of RFD! ➡READ the OP (Original Post), Thread Summary and the current part of thread!
Newbie
Nov 2, 2006
46 posts
5 upvotes
cassador wrote: @dogmusic I have never had home phone, so I can't speak to this.

Is your cellphone bundled with everything else. I always find it better to keep cellphone service separate.

So, if you cancel TV, internet and home phone and everything goes as it should, you will get offered a new deal and carry on.

If they screw up and cancel right away your home phone number is going to probably be lost. There is a risk here.

See if you can just cancel TV and internet.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this will chime in. I tried to find relevant posts but no luck.
Thanks for your reply, cassador. You're right, my cell is not bundled with the other three. I thought of using it to increase the threat to Rogers of losing all of my business.

If there is any possibility they could screw up and I would lose my home phone number, then I can't take that chance.

I could definitely try to cancel just the tv and internet.
Jr. Member
May 26, 2016
148 posts
126 upvotes
dogmusic wrote: Can Rogers take my cancellation seriously when I have EVERYTHING with them: internet, tv, home phone, cell phone?
...
If there is any possibility they could screw up and I would lose my home phone number, then I can't take that chance

If you want to play it safe then port your home phone number (cheapest plan Fido, Chatr, ...) then put in a cancellation for Internet and TV (home phone is gone). This way you'll not only preserve your home# but also send them a message that you're serious about cancellation and if new offer from winback is acceptable they'll port back the home phone# (Fido, Chart tech is handled by Rogers tech).

Of course there are different things that you can try, port home# and cell# to Fido home phone (get the ZTE device) and cell plan ... when you cancel Fido you can keep the ZTE device ($125 with Fido but much cheaper with Rogers) which would work with other carriers as a home phone device (freedom has a $99/yr unlimited local calls plan) ...

Edit: Rogers has increase the price of the ZTE from $65 a couple of months ago to $125
Last edited by Ttn545 on Jul 24th, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Apr 10, 2006
784 posts
732 upvotes
So finally did the song and dance after sitting on my hands for a few days - went numb by the way.

Called in at around 3PM. Retentions couldn't even match what the FB chat offered me. The guy just says outright, yeah, what was offered to you was the best that he can see from his screen which was $82.99 for gig internet. He says I can upgrade to the "new" Ignite but speed will be at 150Mbps for only $94.99 Astonished Face. Wow...just wow. He says he just had to offer it to me as it's mandated of them. So put in a cancellation for Aug 13th.

3 hours passed and got a call from a number that showed up as "suspected spam - robocaller". I was already readying my Indian accent to answer Greg or Bob or Jake from India offering me duct cleaning services. Sadly, the guy immediately said ambassador from Rogers (gah...destroyed my mojo). Anyway, guy offered me 12 ducks for $100 but sadly, i wanted internet so he offered me to upgrade to new ignite gig + starter tv pack with new modem for $64.99. I asked if there's anything if I want to keep my i guess "legacy service" (so this is the legacy thing I kept reading about as I always thought that i'm on the newer system), and he responded back with $55 for 1 year. No-brainer there for me, took the $94.99 and said good bye to slow suckers and hello latest and greatest.

**for the people who really thought I really went with the $94.99, I didn't :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vanpatrick81 wrote: (so this is the legacy thing I kept reading about as I always thought that i'm on the newer system)
The legacy thing is the old way with separate devices connected to coax for phone/Internet/TV. The more recent TV boxes were branded 'Nextbox' starting in, oh, I dunno, 2013-2014 when the 8642 was renamed Nextbox 2.0 midway through its life. Current family of software is called Navigatr. Newest boxes were the 4K nextboxes; I think the early Scientific Atlanta digital cable boxes from like 2006-2007 are still supported but with much older/uglier software.

The 'new' thing is the Comcastic IP thing where you get a single gateway thing plugged into the coax, and then your TV boxes are teeny little boxes connected via wifi or Ethernet like an apple TV or an amazon fire stick.
Newbie
Nov 2, 2006
46 posts
5 upvotes
Ttn545 wrote: If you want to play it safe then port your home phone number (cheapest plan Fido, Chatr, ...) then put in a cancellation for Internet and TV (home phone is gone). This way you'll not only preserve your home# but also send them a message that you're serious about cancellation and if new offer from winback is acceptable they'll port back the home phone# (Fido, Chart tech is handled by Rogers tech).

Of course there are different things that you can try, port home# and cell# to Fido home phone (get the ZTE device) and cell plan ... when you cancel Fido you can keep the ZTE device ($125 with Fido but much cheaper with Rogers) which would work with other carriers as a home phone device (freedom has a $99/yr unlimited local calls plan) ...
Thanks, Ttn545. These are good ideas.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ttn545 wrote: If you want to play it safe then port your home phone number (cheapest plan Fido, Chatr, ...) then put in a cancellation for Internet and TV (home phone is gone). This way you'll not only preserve your home# but also send them a message that you're serious about cancellation and if new offer from winback is acceptable they'll port back the home phone# (Fido, Chart tech is handled by Rogers tech).
One other note - in my observation, another carrier putting a 'port pending' on your number will trigger a flurry of Rogers winback activity. Activity that stops when the number actually leaves...
Jr. Member
May 26, 2016
148 posts
126 upvotes
vanpatrick81 wrote: ... so this is the legacy thing I kept reading about as I always thought that i'm on the newer system ...

Old Legacy -> TV box to unscramble signal and recordings are saved locally -> local PVR
New Ignite -> TV box only to unscramble signal, recordings are saved remotely -> Cloud PVR
Jr. Member
Sep 17, 2008
186 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I'm hoping to negotiate a better deal for my dad. He lives in a home in the snelgrove pocket of brampton. Can anyone tell me how his current deal looks to you, and if you think there is better I can get for him.

Ignite internet 150 - unlimited
Ignite tv popular
Ignite home phone

Bundled for $155. He also pays an additional $10 for unlimited long distance, $5 for tv box rental, and $2 for unlisted number.

Lastly he has a cell phone for $35/month.

So his bill total is roughly $235 after tax. Do you think I can get better for him? He's a senior who doesn't use the services that much, but he lives with 3 other family members. So they all get use of the internet, tv, and home phone. They don't necessarily need faster internet or a better tv package. They just need it cheaper.
Last edited by mr_plow on Jul 21st, 2021 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7608 posts
1034 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mr_plow wrote: So his bill total is roughly $235 after tax. Do you think I can get better for him? He's a senior who doesn't use the services that much, but he lives with 3 other family members. So they all get use of the internet, tv, and home phone.
What are the competitors at that address? Bell fiber? DSL? Is this a condo with Beanfield/FiberStream/etc?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)