Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Post $99 VIP Cable /Gigabit 2 yr term expiry retention deal (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2018 7:50 am
[OP]
Oct 7, 2015
20 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Rogers] Rogers Post $99 VIP Cable /Gigabit 2 yr term expiry retention deal (YMMV)

First time posting so forgive me if I missed anything.

I was lucky enough to sign up for the $99 VIP cable and Gigabit internet deal from Rogers 2 yrs ago. I was paying a total of $118.64 all in ($99 plus $5 for an extra hd cable box plus hst) My contract is coming due on Sept 3 so I decided to make the dreaded call to "renegotiate". I fully expected to be on the phone for hours and only to be quoted a ridiculous amt at which point I was going to cancel and hope for the best. To my surprise the agent said there is a special offer tagged on my account and the offer I received was $123.71 all in or an extra $5 only. The only difference between my new package and the old one is I move from the VIP cable package (which they've discontinued a while back) to the premier package which is still their top of the line package. The call took no longer than 20 mins tops.

At any rate, I suspect there may be a number of you that have this deal expired or coming due for expiry shortly so I thought I'd share.

PS: I live in Vaughan. I called them directly at 18557327149. This is not a contract, rather a 2 yr term deal meaning price savings guaranteed for 2 yrs. Or in other words, if there is a base increase to their regular prices then my charges could go up accordingly. No contract hence can cancel at any time.
Last edited by KingYean on Aug 16th, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
279 replies
Feb 19, 2009
312 posts
254 upvotes
Brampton
Just curious, does Bell off Gigabit fiber in your neighborhood?
I have the dreaded call coming up as well, and the best Bell offers is 50 Mbps.

Pretty sure I won't qualify for any "special offfers" as a result.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2015
20 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That's the interesting part. Bell doesn't offer fiber in my area as I was looking to switch. So it appears the offer I received wasn't because of that.
Nov 21, 2014
595 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
I was dreading this, October is fast approaching, really need a solid solution that will not waste my time.
Thanks for the upvote! 😁
Aug 15, 2018
6 posts
6 upvotes
I did this like two weeks ago and wanted to let everyone know but was too lazy to make an account! So take this as a "Me too!" second anecdote of getting this exact deal. Same services, changed to Premiere cable instead of the VIP package, $5 price bump, but the rep was *totally* down to offer it, no pushback at all, super easy call.

So yeah, for all the RFD-ers (even lurkers like myself) who got in on this deal 2 years ago, it seems like Rogers is pretty resigned to keeping us another 2 years with basically the same price. :D

Just don't forget to call! Nobody wants a $300 Rogers bill lol
Aug 15, 2018
5 posts
2 upvotes
Called in last week. Currently have Gigabit + Popular TV. Dialed right into cancellations agent offered me the same service for ~$130 all in or drop to 500u for ~$120. Didn’t accept and asked for a cancellation, spoke to senior retention rep who said that was the best they can do. I set the cancellation for the day my promo expired, 2 hours later got a call from Rogers and offered me the same service Gigabit + Popular TV for $94.99 before tax (discounts good for a year). He also offered me Gigabit + Popular TV + Home Phone for $89.99 (good for 2 years)
Mar 25, 2009
567 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else been able to get OPs deal in an area without Bell Fiber?
Mar 10, 2015
65 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
i just got this because my 1 year had run out and gave them a call. very easy.

bell fiber is in my area fyi.

108 tax all in for premier tv and gigabit internet.
Dec 18, 2009
82 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm in Ottawa. they are trying to give me basic cable + 500 internet for 112 per month.

Don't like this deal compared to the 99 dollar VIP.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1780 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
The old $99 VIP deal had a free HDPVR. Does the new deal have the HDPVR?

KingYean wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 3:34 pm
First time posting so forgive me if I missed anything.

I was lucky enough to sign up for the $99 VIP cable and Gigabit internet deal from Rogers 2 yrs ago. I was paying a total of $118.64 all in ($99 plus $5 for an extra hd cable box plus hst) My contract is coming due on Sept 3 so I decided to make the dreaded call to "renegotiate". I fully expected to be on the phone for hours and only to be quoted a ridiculous amt at which point I was going to cancel and hope for the best. To my surprise the agent said there is a special offer tagged on my account and the offer I received was $123.71 all in or an extra $5 only. The only difference between my new package and the old one is I move from the VIP cable package (which they've discontinued a while back) to the premier package which is still their top of the line package. The call took no longer than 20 mins tops.

At any rate, I suspect there may be a number of you that have this deal expired or coming due for expiry shortly so I thought I'd share.

PS: I live in Vaughan. I called them directly at 18557327149. This is not a contract, rather a 2 yr term deal meaning price savings guaranteed for 2 yrs. Or in other words, if there is a base increase to their regular prices then my charges could go up accordingly. No contract hence can cancel at any time.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14577 posts
5789 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 4:11 pm
Anyone else been able to get OPs deal in an area without Bell Fiber?
I got a very similar deal through the Office of the President a few months ago when my VIP contract expired. But in my case I got to keep the VIP cable package and it worked out to pretty much the same price as I was paying before. No Bell fiber optics in my neighbourhood yet.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
1963 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
i recieved a call today aswelll as my package is ending sept 12.
basically i got offered the same package but for $110 all in. 24 month guaranteed discount of $124/month. they can raise the price of the package at anytime but the discounts will still be valid - no contract cancel anytime
[OP]
Oct 7, 2015
20 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The price of $123.71 includes one HDPVR and one regular HD box
Dec 18, 2009
82 posts
32 upvotes
Ottawa
You guys are fortunate. for some reason they are fighting me on this. Don't worry I will never mention anything about RFD.
Dec 28, 2010
379 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
I have the same plan but haven't received the call but a BELL agent dropped by my place yesterday offering Fibe 50 and Good TV package plus an extra box for about 88 dollars.
Has anybody any experience on how is Fibe 50 (UNLTD) comparable to Rogers Ignote Gigabit internet ?