• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2015 11:45 am
Feb 2, 2010
348 posts
8 upvotes
Nice, that's what I wanted to learn more about. I am sure there are plenty of positions available once you get in. Internal transfer is always easier than external.

Anyone know the average salary of these tech reps or technicians?
Oct 20, 2010
433 posts
104 upvotes
TheFinalWord wrote: The reason they aren't probable is because most people don't work for them. I see this in my group. People are content to come in and earn a cheque and then go home and watch TV, only to rinse and repeat.

Life isn't easy. You've got to earn what you want. Even if you had a 2 year retention contract....it's only 2 years. That may seem like a lot when you're young, but it really isn't. If you go to work every day with a good attitude, a strong work ethic and strive to be the best at your job, you'll do just fine in life and have the opportunity to succeed in any company. If you expect to get trained and helped along all of the time, you're probably going to be complaining year after year, that you aren't getting the training you were promised.

Yeah, I am not drinking the kool aid. Effort and ability are dimensions to success - where you enter in a company is another one and a significant indicator to long term success. The mail clerk to CEO rags to riches story (that everyone loves) doesn't happen. OK - maybe once - like 35 years ago. The vast majority of 'successful' (upwardly mobile, those being frequently recognized and promoted, highest paid, most amount of power [influental, high-visability rolls], etc.) people in organizations came into a high performing group and made their careers from there.

You do advance a popular 'meritocratic' argument ... the best and brightest should advance as rational managers within rational organizations recognize talent that they want to promote (and do not want to lose) to higher positions inside the company ...

Except it rarely happens that way. Why?

First, being from 'the call center' holds a stigma throughout organizations. Ask most people who currently work in a call center how many jobs they've applied to internally and what the net result of that was .... 10? 20? 50? Still a call center rep. Even a high performing call center rep. This isn't fair. This doesn't talk down to the abilities of all those university kids doing collections for the bank. It is just the way it is. Call Center = rofl, basically.

Second, zero to something-just-slightly-above zero opportunities to network. Call centers are metric driven environments with call monitoring and all other sorts of 'big brother' like performance tech. They track things like 'away-time', average call time, call volume handled, etc. They aren't environments that foster career development and personal growth (you know, the stuff needed to advance basically). This is a big game killer. But hey, even after all of that you decide to go to an intra-company networking event after your shift just to meet some people and get your name out there ... only to find that all those nice people you are meeting over non-alcoholic cocktails in the cafeteria don't care all that much once they learn you're from the call center.

Third, there are a lot of them. Most call centers have a lot of employees just like you ... tons of motivation, want to take on the world and get their piece, want to prove their ability and worthiness for promotion ... but little to no experience, and no real way to differentiate themselves. "You're from the call center, great, you look and act and talk just like the other 6 highly motivated call center guys I've already spoken with today"

Fourth, call center reps are very much replaceable. The idea that they do not want to lose talent, so they better focus on you, doesn't hold much water ... not when they're paying you 35K and there are 10 applicants waiting to take your place (because they've also been sold the get-foot-in-door-meritocracy dream).

It is kind of hard to believe after all of that, but I am not crapping on this job. I think it is a good entry level job with good benefits. What I am promoting is not to drink the kool aid ... not to buy into the illusion of starting in the call center and a world of opportunity will open up for you (even if you try really-really hard).

elliotforgames wrote: But at least while you are working in entry-level you have the opportunity that smaller companies may not have. And if you don't plan to work there, at least it becomes a very reputable resume builder.

This is the key take-away. :)
May 12, 2009
99 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a cousin looking for an entry job at rogers and had some questions.

does anyone know if you work part time at the call centre that you still can get benefits?? How many calls per hour/day? How stringent is that stats measures?

Anyone also know how it is like working at Rogers Plus? I heard that you get paid lower than if you work at a call centre and only get discounts off videos as benefits.

If anyone has worked for both jobs which one would you recommend?
Jul 26, 2009
90 posts
7 upvotes
Hehe. Rogers just tells the CSRs that they'll have future opportunities to reduce turnover. And it works. I fell for it at Telus years ago after I got my degree. Telus saw me as a monkey phone operator.

So I applied elsewhere and I have my dream job and never looked back.
May 27, 2007
15731 posts
3233 upvotes
Toronto
newguy123 wrote: I have a cousin looking for an entry job at rogers and had some questions.

does anyone know if you work part time at the call centre that you still can get benefits?? How many calls per hour/day? How stringent is that stats measures?

Anyone also know how it is like working at Rogers Plus? I heard that you get paid lower than if you work at a call centre and only get discounts off videos as benefits.

If anyone has worked for both jobs which one would you recommend?

you get benefits as part time including preferred shares to invest in the company after 6 months. no health/dental unless you're full time.

if you want the employee discount (50% off services), you will have to work at least 20 hours/week for 3 months and then apply internally for the discount.

as far as i know, Rogers Plus employees is pretty much the same thing, but they get free rentals and stuff as well.

personally i'd prefer call centre because at least you get to sit down instead of standing/walking around. but the location will play a factor as well.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder what became of OP?
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Oct 26, 2006
682 posts
6 upvotes
^

what's the net income on that? little less than $50k? doesn't seem attractive to me, at least from what i see here.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9047 posts
1207 upvotes
Kinda funny GF/SO years past got offered employment at Rogers not once, but twice... litterally lowballed her 15-20k what other companies were offereing... maybe even more.

I guess overpaying those pitchers they need to cut salaries in other areas ;)
freeforall wrote: Senior Analysts making 60k? Ouch.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2542 posts
632 upvotes
Toronto
^^great great story!! :)

You are absolutely right. And you made it work.
Jun 20, 2009
16 posts
2 upvotes
You have all the information here:

http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Emp ... -%28CSR%29

Excerpt (copy-pasta below):

Average Salary For Customer Service Representative (CSR) at Rogers Communications Inc.
inShare
Updated: 19 Apr 2014
Find Out Exactly What You Should Be Paid
C$24,388 - C$45,051
(Median)
MEDIAN: C$32,873
10%
50%
75%
90%
Compensation
Salary

not applicable

C$25,000 - C$39,569

not applicable
Bonus

not applicable

C$0.00 - C$4,848

not applicable
Hourly Rate

C$12.09 - C$23.38

not applicable

C$10.39 - C$17.08
Total Pay

C$24,388 - C$45,051

C$25,278 - C$38,697

C$24,429 - C$35,924

See personalized reports about your job and company. Start survey.

Job Satisfaction (?)
Somewhat satisfied Image
Somewhat satisfied

Satisfied Image
Satisfied

Highly satisfied Image
Highly satisfied
Work Stress (?)
Stressful Image
Stressful

Extremely stressful Image
Extremely stressful

Stressful Image
Stressful
Job Flexibility (?) Somewhat flexible Highly flexible Flexible
Typical Benefits Healthcare BenefitsDental BenefitsVision Benefits Healthcare BenefitsDental Benefits Healthcare BenefitsDental Benefits
Vacation Weeks 1.8 Weeks 2.5 Weeks 2.7 Weeks
Gender Breakdown
5 reporting

56%

4 reporting

44%

28 reporting

82%

6 reporting

18%

24 reporting

80%

6 reporting

20%
Years Experience Breakdown
1-4

5-9

<1

1-4

1-4

5-9

Popular Perks Casual dress, Stock options, Stock purchase plan Paid holidays & vacation, Paid sick leave, Life insurance / disability Paid holidays & vacation, Life insurance / disability, Paid sick leave
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15999 posts
2301 upvotes
GTA
is the 50% off rogers services on the list price? or whatever my bill is currently at x 50%? *wishful thinking*
Banned
Apr 23, 2015
994 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One of the few remaining entry level jobs that pays Canadians a living wage.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1960 posts
705 upvotes
Scarborough
boyoflondon wrote: My buddy was at about $60k as a Sr Financial Analyst before he jumped ship to Bell.
That's REALLY low for a senior financial analyst.

I would imagine seniors should be making somewhere between 75-90k
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
1188 posts
247 upvotes
Montreal
jono454 wrote: That's REALLY low for a senior financial analyst.

I would imagine seniors should be making somewhere between 75-90k
I work in the telecom industry as a junior financial analyst and I make around 58K. Considered my background and no accounting title. I believe it to be quite fair as a salary, my boss the senior analyst probably makes about 70 to 75K. Regardless of the salary I absolutely love my job and my position.
Banned
Feb 2, 2014
1426 posts
941 upvotes
The 6
89fan wrote: My sister works at the Rogers Kitchener Call Centre. Starting is around $15ish, she has been there for several years. She makes just over $20/hr now.

She gets a full benefit pkg. I am not sure if she still gets commisions or not. Apparently they were looking/going to reduce/remove that.
If you want the best Call Centre gig in Ontario apply to the City of Toronto's 311 Call Centre. They start at $55,000 and go up to $61,000 for the base call centre rep position. This does not include the ample overtime they get and generous pension plan.

When you factor in job security it is an unbelievable gig!!!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
^ Yeah, 311 is pretty sick. For telecommunications, Telus pays the best for call centre in there retentions divisions.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)