• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2016 4:48 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2013
238 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto

Rogers SK plan 10GB Data Unlimited everything - $65

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the SK plan if you're in Ontario?

I know there's a lot of discussion in the news about Koodo plans and Telus, but my phone isn't unlocked and I'd prefer to stay with Rogers.

Rogers has said that they'll give me the plan but my number will have to be an SK number. There's got to be a way for me to temporarily take the SK number and then port my actual number back.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
33 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20632 posts
2040 upvotes
Toronto
I think for Rogers...this is a system limitation..

You cannot get a non-SK number ported to the SK plan.

What you can do is port your current number to VOIP provider and just forward the calls to your SK number.

If you don't talk much, this is quite reasonable given the awesome plan offered
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16930 posts
6701 upvotes
Oakville
ji2o0k wrote: I think for Rogers...this is a system limitation..

You cannot get a non-SK number ported to the SK plan.

What you can do is port your current number to VOIP provider and just forward the calls to your SK number.

If you don't talk much, this is quite reasonable given the awesome plan offered
Wouldn't porting the current number out to a VOIP provider also cancel the existing Toronto plan?
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20632 posts
2040 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: Wouldn't porting the current number out to a VOIP provider also cancel the existing Toronto plan?
Yes but OP didn't ask to retain the existing Toronto plan (unless I am missing something).

OP wants to keep his actual/original number.

So best way would be for Rogers to give OP the new SK plan with SK# (maybe new account# or add the SK line to your existing account) and then OP can port out existing number to VOIP provider and then call forward to new SK #
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16930 posts
6701 upvotes
Oakville
ji2o0k wrote: Yes but OP didn't ask to retain the existing Toronto plan (unless I am missing something).

OP wants to keep his actual/original number.

So best way would be for Rogers to give OP the new SK plan with SK# (maybe new account# or add the SK line to your existing account) and then OP can port out existing number to VOIP provider and then call forward to new SK #
Well, OP would also have to make sure that any device subsidies are paid off as well.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32361 posts
3168 upvotes
Winnipeg
just use sk number and be done with it, they want to charge me double to port # over
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
1274 posts
67 upvotes
Montreal
Forget the porting skim.

Their system is dumb so unless that loophole has been fixed. It will work. However, it will screw up the account. Each time you will want to do a change, the system will force the CSR to change the plan. Even something as basic as changing the simcard.

And technicaly if they do an audit of the account which I'm sure they have a way to easily find numbers that were ported in with the province being different, they will probably flag the account and have you change the plan.

I worked for Fido for over 6 years and a couples of times I had some dumb store rep do this scam. In the end, the custommer had to change the plan or we couldn't do a damn thing in the account.
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
if it has unlimited call forwarding, just forward it to your main line
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32361 posts
3168 upvotes
Winnipeg
gd6noob wrote: if it has unlimited call forwarding, just forward it to your main line
that koodo plan is available across canada? i never heard of unlimited global texting, wow...
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Now you have, my friend.. now you have..
Its great.. sometimes i mess with my cousins in HongKong.. i would send them SMS and they accidentally reply.. they would bitch through whatsapp after they realize what happen.. LOL
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16930 posts
6701 upvotes
Oakville
divx wrote: that koodo plan is available across canada? i never heard of unlimited global texting, wow...
It's the Manitoba plan. Google "howard forums koodo manitoba $48 plan" to see how you can get it.

Unlimited global texting is available from all the providers now, I think - it's available in a $5 add-on pack for Rogers (at least, here in Ontario) that includes:

- Premium Voicemail-To-Text1 & 35 voice messages
- U.S. & International Preferred Rate
- Unlimited U.S. & International Text Messages
- Name Display
- Who Called

(I know this cuz my wife wanted it for international text messages to her dad, who still can't quite figure out Viber/WhatsApp)
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14371 posts
3355 upvotes
Markham
divx wrote: that koodo plan is available across canada? i never heard of unlimited global texting, wow...
they have that for many years.

but no point, if your international friend doesn't have global txt. It will cost them when they reply you

so just stick with whatsapp
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14371 posts
3355 upvotes
Markham
darkman007e wrote: Forget the porting skim.

Their system is dumb so unless that loophole has been fixed. It will work. However, it will screw up the account. Each time you will want to do a change, the system will force the CSR to change the plan. Even something as basic as changing the simcard.

And technicaly if they do an audit of the account which I'm sure they have a way to easily find numbers that were ported in with the province being different, they will probably flag the account and have you change the plan.

I worked for Fido for over 6 years and a couples of times I had some dumb store rep do this scam. In the end, the custommer had to change the plan or we couldn't do a damn thing in the account.
that is what people at howard forum said,
after porting. You better never ever have to call them for support (Rogers / Fido)
if you do, they make you change the plan
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2512 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto, ON
divx wrote: just use sk number and be done with it, they want to charge me double to port # over
Then noone will call you or answer your calls unless you explicitly tell them and remind them that 306# is you.
Nov 16, 2012
622 posts
166 upvotes
VANCOUVER
mobifree wrote: Then noone will call you or answer your calls unless you explicitly tell them and remind them that 306# is you.
Mobifree! Your message box is full, I can't reply to you!