Shopping Discussion

Rogers: sleazy new low? Lying to derail Service Transfer?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 2:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28554 posts
1255 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…

Rogers: sleazy new low? Lying to derail Service Transfer?

After suffering with Bills of $50-$60 more than what was supposed to be (for 5 months), I finally called Bell to move our home services over from Rogers. Installation tomorrow.

$99, free movies, 1 yr. We paid $180 for that for a few months with Rogers. The pompous & obnoxious rep who called a few days ago to ask us why we were cancelling told me "Oh you will definately pay More with Bell". Lol, is that why I'm moving my services away from you?

So get this;

I just received a phone call from Bell. Hello bubble.tea, we would like to let you know that Rogers called us to say you're no longer wanting to move your services to us? Can you confirm?

I busted out laughing because it was such a surreal phone call. What does Rogers think could possibly be the end result? We'd change our mind?!??

This is incredible!! What are they thinking!??? So sleazy.
Last edited by bubble.tea on Apr 3rd, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
PayTM$154, died. SDM: $4574 Rakuten: $134.54
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
*Various Szs Vintage: Hartt, Florsheim Imp*
27 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14150 posts
14752 upvotes
Oakville
Bad move on your part. You just moved from one snake pit to another. If you want to avoid headaches you should avoid the Bell/Rogers and go with a 3rd party reseller.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4834 posts
1637 upvotes
Toronto
Dumb question, but what does "move your (I assume internet, TV) services to Bell" mean? Don't Rogers and Bell use completely different methods of providing the service, it's not like porting a cellphone number? I thought you would just cancel your Rogers account and open a Bell account... I'm confused how one would even know about the other, what is there to transfer?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28554 posts
1255 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Manatus wrote: what does "move your (I assume internet, TV) services to Bell" mean? ...
It's a new customer service standard of convenience I imagine. Instead of the Cx needing to call their current provider to cancel, the new provider handles it.

TV Internet, it's just cancelling. The home phone- which is a forced third option with these home bundles - is the item that could have a porting option.
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Lowa, Taft*
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28554 posts
1255 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Sweet Mama. Installed yesterday. The EUI, snappiness of FIBE (changing channels, the new channel loads INSTANTLY, compared to the lifetime wait for Rogers) compared to regular Rogers tv is SUCH a luxury. I can't believe we put up with that crap since October.

I will say that for us, we only use gaming console for...gaming, youtube is about the heaviest load we expect (aside from HD streaming on the tv through various portals) from our internet connection. Our Rogers wifi modem was easily 400Mbps, our Bell wifi is only 100MBps. For our use, it is m00t, expectedly not remotely impacted.

We are already extremely happy. Being able to restart shows, play old shows & not have any pixellation issues/corruption across several channels (unsuccessfully boosted/reset/diagnosed by several techs & a 'super tech') regarding 'poor channels' which was never fixed by Rogers (for our area), & paying $50-$70 LESS a month now (for the next 2 years)...it's a no brainer.

Very happy.

@engineered, I agree. The comparisons of available comparative resellers with this $100 plan was negligible, once you consider the unknown idiosyncrasies with their quality & the known (first hand, in our house of Bell) - it was a substantiated slight premium to go with.

Once the 2 years are up, we'll churn the next new Cx promo. I am sure by then, tv resller quality will be quite a bit more established & proven - that even for $10 I will jump on their offer over the Big 2 for where we live.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5603 posts
4943 upvotes
- Bhell is just as bad, or worse than Rogers
- Home phone and TV are so out-dated
- UI might be nicer than Rogers, but still super primitive
- $99 is still way too expensive
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4834 posts
1637 upvotes
Toronto
bubble.tea wrote: It's a new customer service standard of convenience I imagine. Instead of the Cx needing to call their current provider to cancel, the new provider handles it.

TV Internet, it's just cancelling. The home phone- which is a forced third option with these home bundles - is the item that could have a porting option.
I was asking because we just did the same move - Rogers to Bell - and I just called Rogers to cancel and called Bell to set up independently, I didn't even know they offered the service.

I'm glad you're happy - I am too. It may not be the best deal in the world, but I'm okay with the price, and the product is better I've found.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5317 posts
1187 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote: - Bhell is just as bad, or worse than Rogers
- Home phone and TV are so out-dated
- UI might be nicer than Rogers, but still super primitive
- $99 is still way too expensive
Okay, then. Why don't you tell me about a Gigabit + a comparable TV service for significantly less than $99 that everyone can get then. And okay, let's find a TV service with a more modern interface for us too. kthxbye.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5603 posts
4943 upvotes
milhaus wrote: Okay, then. Why don't you tell me about a Gigabit + a comparable TV service for significantly less than $99 that everyone can get then. And okay, let's find a TV service with a more modern interface for us too. kthxbye.
Doesn't exist. All TV services are garbage-tier entertainment these days. It's well past due to cut the cable.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17771 posts
5704 upvotes
Toronto
3rd party resellers are using Rogers networks so not much better
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
13655 posts
25852 upvotes
Scarborough
bubble.tea wrote: Sweet Mama. Installed yesterday. The EUI, snappiness of FIBE (changing channels, the new channel loads INSTANTLY, compared to the lifetime wait for Rogers) compared to regular Rogers tv is SUCH a luxury. I can't believe we put up with that crap since October.
TV with Bell has always been so much better IMO (although I haven't tried Rogers new IPTV yet). Maybe I've been lucky but I've only had one billing issue with Bell which was resolved quickly too.

My $99 deal is up this fall and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6432 posts
1073 upvotes
Scarborough
Get cheaper internet with reseller and not worry about bills going up. Watch shows online, cut the cord brother!
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1704 posts
894 upvotes
Toronto
Bell is worse. I don't have 2 days to type my whole story. Took years off my life and who knows how much wasted money in over-billing.
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10775 posts
3474 upvotes
Good luck when if/when they decide to increase your monthly fee or somehow gets you overage charges.

Watch your bill like a Hawk.

Telus/Shaw FTW