Automotive

Rogers smart drive?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2017 12:27 pm
Tags:
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8525 posts
2307 upvotes
Mississauga
playnicee1 wrote: Anyone have any plans to use Rogers Smart Drive?
Is it a good idea or just a waste of money?
Rogers Smart Drive: http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/smart-drive
Never even heard of it until your post. Thanks for posting. I don't think it will be something I would use but if you have new drivers it might be good to try.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 27th, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated url in quoted post
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16222 posts
3575 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: Never even heard of it until your post.
I think it is new for Rogers.
$99 for the hardware (2 year term) and $15 a month...but they only give you A 1GB bonus free for the first year...that's where they get you!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8525 posts
2307 upvotes
Mississauga
playnicee1 wrote: I think it is new for Rogers.
$99 for the hardware (2 year term) and $15 a month...but they only give you A 1GB bonus free for the first year...that's where they get you!
They always get you.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
35617 posts
9675 upvotes
Ottawa
So, it monitors your car and collects information like the insurance company devices? It turns your car into a wifi hot spot. Do you need that if you have a phone? Or is that for folks in your car that do not have data on their phone? And then, is 1 GB for a year @ $15 per month a good deal ($249 per year) ?

I guess the question I have is ...Why?
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18393 posts
2208 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got this eMail a few days ago.

I think it's SHARED with your main line and the 1GB is the bonus.

I guess it for those who doesn't know how to turn on Hotspot? LOL

Are you even saving on insurance? If not what's the point.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34543 posts
20588 upvotes
Center of Universe
Robbers should be paying consumers to install this big brother device.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21177 posts
10622 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
got this email as well....don't know why I'd ever need this device.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16222 posts
3575 upvotes
Toronto
This is just a wild guess, but maybe Rogers is in panic mode over all the people cutting the cord, so they're finding new reasons to exist. lol
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Banned
Jul 19, 2017
42 posts
13 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: So, it monitors your car and collects information like the insurance company devices? It turns your car into a wifi hot spot. Do you need that if you have a phone? Or is that for folks in your car that do not have data on their phone? And then, is 1 GB for a year @ $15 per month a good deal ($249 per year) ?

I guess the question I have is ...Why?
Would be cool to get some metrics about your trip (they email you)

tethering your phone really kills the battery, hell if someone wants they can build a cool RPI or car pc setup.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1527 posts
52 upvotes
Maple
Seems like a gimmick, but if I had new/young drivers in the household, it seems like an efficient way to track their whereabouts. The hotspot is probably ok and yes, you can normally use your phone, but for kids to be able to watch youtube or chat with their friends, it's not so bad. When my kids start driving, I would pay for something like this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8633 posts
3072 upvotes
treefiddy wrote: Would be cool to get some metrics about your trip (they email you)

tethering your phone really kills the battery, hell if someone wants they can build a cool RPI or car pc setup.
If you are in the car, would you not just simply plug your phone into the charger while tethering?
Banned
Jul 19, 2017
42 posts
13 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: If you are in the car, would you not just simply plug your phone into the charger while tethering?
Not every car has a charger, but most car chargers are crap so I'd still lose energy. The other reason is what if I'm driving for 20 mins but my battery is low? I'd get no charge if I was hotspoting

Top