• Feb 25th, 2018 4:49 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14388 posts
4955 upvotes
London

Rogers speed consistently decreasing over time

Rogers says there's nothing they can do.... but I have noticed a slow, steady decrease in my internet speeds

When I signe dup for Gigabit I would routinely speed test around 850mbps.

A few weeks ago I noticed my downloads were noticeably slower than they used to be. I ran some speed tests over a couple days and it was averaging around 650mbps

last week I was at around 550mbps... The past 2 days I haven't gotten a single speed test over 500mbps

I always unplug the modem for about 30 seconds before initially running a test to make sure that's not the issue.

Anyone have ideas on how I can get this giant white PoC to get speeds like I used to?
10 replies
Dec 14, 2017
8 posts
I had the same issue, even sometimes my internet would completely stop
And I have to do modem
Restart.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
so you were doing some internet and realize "damn, my internet is slow, let me do a speed test"?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14388 posts
4955 upvotes
London
konsensei wrote: so you were doing some internet and realize "damn, my internet is slow, let me do a speed test"?
It was pretty easy to tell when my newsgroup download speeds dropped significantly. Went from ~95MB/s down to about 60 or so now.
Dec 6, 2008
285 posts
161 upvotes
Ontario
You can try doing a factory reset on the modem. Just make sure you check the settings after. Possible a intermittent line issuue. You should easily hit 850 plus wired on a consistent basis.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
Newsgroup downloading at maximum speed for a long time? They are probably throttling you.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3473 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yea definitely throttling you. Change provider.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19558 posts
5634 upvotes
Toronto
SalilB724029 wrote: I had the same issue, even sometimes my internet would completely stop
And I have to do modem
Restart.
I had this problem on Fido cable internet (which is Rogers). After about a week or so, speeds would decrease, but a modem reboot would solve the problem. This didn't seem to just be a peak time issue, because as soon as the modem was reboot, the speeds would back to max. Furthermore, if I didn't reboot, the speeds would stay slower until I did reboot. I tried waiting it out for a couple of days, but the speeds wouldn't come back to norm... until I rebooted.

I ended up switching to Bell Fibe fibre optic.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14388 posts
4955 upvotes
London
EugW wrote: I had this problem on Fido cable internet (which is Rogers). After about a week or so, speeds would decrease, but a modem reboot would solve the problem. This didn't seem to just be a peak time issue, because as soon as the modem was reboot, the speeds would back to max. Furthermore, if I didn't reboot, the speeds would stay slower until I did reboot. I tried waiting it out for a couple of days, but the speeds wouldn't come back to norm... until I rebooted.

I ended up switching to Bell Fibe fibre optic.
I would switch to Fibe but it is 1/10 the speed for the same price here :(

Though it is still an option I'm considering, as I would like to get Fibe TV, and Fibe internet is apparently required to get that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Viper98 wrote: When I signe dup for Gigabit I would routinely speed test around 850mbps.A few weeks ago I noticed my downloads were noticeably slower than they used to be. I ran some speed tests over a couple days and it was averaging around 650mbps last week I was at around 550mbps... The past 2 days I haven't gotten a single speed test over 500mbps
I doubt if you can detect the change at all without the speed test. Those speeds are pretty decent by any stretch of imagination
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13319 posts
2682 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Viper98 wrote: It was pretty easy to tell when my newsgroup download speeds dropped significantly. Went from ~95MB/s down to about 60 or so now.
Weird. I've had mine for 1.5yrs and over the last yr it has been pretty steady. Current speed test 933.1 DL, 54.8 UL. I usually range between 920's to 970's DL and 49-55 UL. It's prolly the modem baring any tech issues on the line. Is your coda one of the early models say within the first 6 mos when GB internet was offered by Robbers?? If so I'd swap it and see what happens.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING