None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4185 posts
96 upvotes
Cambridge

ROGERS Video brings back late fees

And they have come up with a really great way of introducing it. It's an "offer".

I picked up a movie tonight and as I'm checking out we have this conversation:

Rogers girl: "Have you heard about our new return offer?"

Me (thinking...gah, no sales pitch please I want to leave): "No"

Rogers: "If you return the movie before noon tomorrow it's $1 off the old price"

Me: "Nice. That hardly ever happens, and I didn't think there was anything new about that, it's a $1 credit right?"

Rogers: "Well the way it works is that the rental is $1 less now, but it costs $1 if you don't return it by noon, so that would be the same as the old price."

Me: "Huh? OK fine, whatever. I usually return them in 3 or 4 days, maybe a week so I don't need this offer"

Rogers: "So this is $1 per night"

Me: "Right, got it, don't need it"

Rogers: "It's $1 per night"

Me (penny drops): "I really like the no late fee policy, I'll stick with that"

---Awkward silence----

Rogers: "We've changed the offer, this is the new offer."

So, that's it. no more no late fees. Glad Blockbuster is almost next door, wonder how much longer they will have no late fees.
13 replies
Nov 18, 2006
271 posts
3 upvotes
i believe that is only for the super new movies (1 day rentals)...
the older ones that says 2 days + are still no late fees...i think

i just rented 2 dvds from rogers, one was transformers..and it had that $1/day sign..

the other was reign over me, and it had the 2 days rental sign with no mention of late fees....

i don't have the receipt on me, so I can't tell if that is really the case
Sep 10, 2004
524 posts
89 upvotes
Richmond Hill
"Rogers: 'We've changed the offer, this is the new offer.'"

So apparently, in Rogers' dictionary, the word "offer" means "penalty"?
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
68 upvotes
http://www.rogersplus.ca/promo/features/payperday.asp

This link takes you to their new plan. You pay one dollar less on certain new releases. If you keep it longer you pay an extra $1 per day up to $4 dollars.This is replacing their Fast Back plan where you get a $ back if brought back by noon the next day. Then you had to use that $ towards a rental within I think 2 weeks (we only did it once). Now you just pay a $ less. I think that is better! :) If you go over 30 days you still have to pay a replacement fee for the movie. They want the newer movies to come back faster, don't want high late fees but also don't want anyone to think they can just keep the movie. Looks like there's no restocking fees.

There's a bunch of links near the bottom that explains everything.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
2182 posts
187 upvotes
Guelph
This new system is STUPID. They should have just kept no late fees and fastback... Who thought this was a good idea? (says the guy who has just accumulated $5 in late charges from Rogers on the blu-ray and HD dvds he rented...so they're obviously going to make money...)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4185 posts
96 upvotes
Cambridge
Angela V wrote: http://www.rogersplus.ca/promo/features/payperday.asp

This link takes you to their new plan. You pay one dollar less on certain new releases. If you keep it longer you pay an extra $1 per day up to $4 dollars.This is replacing their Fast Back plan where you get a $ back if brought back by noon the next day.
So, let me see if I understand this.

Old plan - pay $5.39. Keep it a week and that's still the price.

New Plan - pay $4.39. Keep it a week and it's $8.39.

I'm not saying that I don't understand why they are doing this. My kids worked at Rogers and they used to make more profit on late fees than on regular rentals. They would check random peoples accounts and find $200 in rentals, but $300 in late fees all the time. (this is one of the ways that they used to decide whether or not to let you off the hook when you complain about late fees). So, obviously when Rogers gave it up they gave up a lot of revenue!

Bottom line - Rogers is bringing back late fees but has given their staff and the webpage a very clever way to talk about it so it sounds like a better deal.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4114 upvotes
Ottawa
stevethewheel wrote:
Bottom line - Rogers is bringing back late fees but has given their staff and the webpage a very clever way to talk about it so it sounds like a better deal.
Not to mention an ambiguous penalty formula that the average movie renter will fail to understand until they are faced with a fine.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19264 posts
1750 upvotes
If everyone started boycotting Rogers and BBV both they'd start bringing down their ridiculous prices.

Just go to the nearest convenience store, you'll save $2-$3 every time. And unless you want to rent 2 year old movies (which BBV and Rogers have more of) they all have the same crap new releases on the shelves anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5171 posts
2589 upvotes
one of the resaons i have not rented a movie in over 2 years
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: one of the resaons i have not rented a movie in over 2 years
Are there places that still rent DVD's and movies? I stopped going to BlockBuster 5 years ago when they didn't have in stock such blockbusters as Men In Black and Scarface, I was like WTF? What kind of crap place is this? I also hated their $5.50 fee for a movie.
-
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
2905 posts
2 upvotes
i wonder what pacific mall is for?... :)

usually 1 english movie at pmall cost about $3 these days. or $20 for 7-8 which used to be $20 for 3.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
aimfox wrote: i wonder what pacific mall is for?... :)

usually 1 english movie at pmall cost about $3 these days. or $20 for 7-8 which used to be $20 for 3.
Yes, cheaper than renting the same movie at Rogers/BLockBuster and you get to keep it. Who are the idiots that still visit BlockBuster and Rogers anyways?
-
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7413 posts
834 upvotes
I don't rent. I buy or download, or go see it in theatres.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.