Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Sep 2, 2013
260 posts
264 upvotes
Ontario
reth wrote: @Rodstarrr: I am in Ontatio and was offered 8GB for $110 dollars.

The $95/6Gb plan is the most reasonable plan that Rogers is offering right now. I have tried negotiating several times but none of the plans provide better value than this.
Any luck getting them to waive the extra $4.99 for "real" voice mail?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9687 posts
9154 upvotes
Markham
marty3d wrote: Any luck getting them to waive the extra $4.99 for "real" voice mail?
What the hell is "fake" voice mail?
Sep 2, 2013
260 posts
264 upvotes
Ontario
Anikiri wrote: What the hell is "fake" voice mail?
:) The "lite" package that allows you 3 voice mails - max 3 min each - saved for a max of 3 days. I don't consider that a real voice mail package and I think it only exists so they can claim they include voice mail in their package (and call display does not include name display - only in the 4.99 add on)
Oct 1, 2014
24 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Hi there,

My contract is ending December 27, 2014. I was in the 3 year contract with a 4s.

My credits are apparently expiring so I'll be charged more. If I was to cancel now the rep said I'll be charged $125. Does anyone know of a way to get out of the contract without having to pay the ECF?
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18828 posts
2102 upvotes
cosmos009 wrote: Hi there,

My contract is ending December 27, 2014. I was in the 3 year contract with a 4s.

My credits are apparently expiring so I'll be charged more. If I was to cancel now the rep said I'll be charged $125. Does anyone know of a way to get out of the contract without having to pay the ECF?
Sign a new contract and they may waive it.

Yours is an older contract so calculations are different than the current tab contracts. I doubt they'll waive the fee if you're just jumping ship.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Oct 31, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi guys. I'm on a three year contract with Rogers, with 1 year remaining. I was wondering if they still do the hardware upgrade, since I would like to keep the plan & get a galaxy s5. Do you think it's possible with the plan I have currently? Thanks.

6GB Super Plan $60.00
Savings: Monthly Fee Discount $-10.00
Mini Voice Msg / Call Display* $8.00
100 Bonus Minutes $0.00
LTE 6GB Data Service Plan $0.00
6pm Early Evening Calling $0.00
Call Forwarding/Call Transfer $0.00
Nov 3, 2008
186 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote: Sign a new contract and they may waive it.

Yours is an older contract so calculations are different than the current tab contracts. I doubt they'll waive the fee if you're just jumping ship.
They definitely won't waive it. My 3-year contract is expiring in a few weeks, and I'm debating a move to Zoomer or the like, which is still Rogers. The rep said that even if I port a day before my expiry, I will be charged $125, regardless of the fact that the new plan is with a reseller for Rogers.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12231 posts
11101 upvotes
steady wrote: They definitely won't waive it. My 3-year contract is expiring in a few weeks, and I'm debating a move to Zoomer or the like, which is still Rogers. The rep said that even if I port a day before my expiry, I will be charged $125, regardless of the fact that the new plan is with a reseller for Rogers.
I was with the $125 penalty situation last years. Just wait for a few weeks before porting your Rogers number to Zoomer.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone.
Dec 25, 2002
650 posts
212 upvotes
steady wrote: They definitely won't waive it. My 3-year contract is expiring in a few weeks, and I'm debating a move to Zoomer or the like, which is still Rogers. The rep said that even if I port a day before my expiry, I will be charged $125, regardless of the fact that the new plan is with a reseller for Rogers.
My contract is expiring December 1st with Rogers and I made the decision to get the new Zoomer plan before my contract expired (in case Zoomer decided to pull the plan/doubling bonus). I called Rogers last night to give my one month notice to cancel. I had two phone lines and the rep screwed up and cancelled one of them immediately. She then had to credit my account the $100 early cancellation fee (mine is $100 for some reason - written right in my 3 year contract as a $100 minimum). You could definitely get the plan now and then port your number when your Rogers plan is up for renewal. I decided just to cancel Rogers directly and use the new number Zoomer provided. Rogers has screwed up my account so many times I just wanted done with them.

Kelly
Dec 28, 2006
976 posts
331 upvotes
So I'm a long time Rogers customer (~8 years) and I've dealt with retentions several times in the past. Every previous time I've had no issue getting decent deals (usually $15-20 in monthly credits) - nothing crazy like some of the regulars here have gotten, but deals that are good enough for me to be happy with.

But it's like pulling teeth trying to get a good deal this time around. I'm being offered nothing more than the stock plans they have online, they're not willing to even give me a $5 credit to sign a new contract and hardware upgrade. And my contract is up in 2 weeks!

What are the steps I need to do to cancel without losing my number? Do I need to give them notice and then bring my phone to a different provider and have them port my number? Or do I just bring my phone to a different provider and they take care of everything, including porting my number and cancelling the current plan?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12231 posts
11101 upvotes
Ixidor wrote: So I'm a long time Rogers customer (~8 years) and I've dealt with retentions several times in the past. Every previous time I've had no issue getting decent deals (usually $15-20 in monthly credits) - nothing crazy like some of the regulars here have gotten, but deals that are good enough for me to be happy with.

But it's like pulling teeth trying to get a good deal this time around. I'm being offered nothing more than the stock plans they have online, they're not willing to even give me a $5 credit to sign a new contract and hardware upgrade. And my contract is up in 2 weeks!

What are the steps I need to do to cancel without losing my number? Do I need to give them notice and then bring my phone to a different provider and have them port my number? Or do I just bring my phone to a different provider and they take care of everything, including porting my number and cancelling the current plan?
Don't cancel your Rogers number. You number must be active before you can port the number. Your Rogers account will be cancelled as soon as your number is ported.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Dec 28, 2006
976 posts
331 upvotes
embguy wrote: Don't cancel your Rogers number. You number must be active before you can port the number. Your Rogers account will be cancelled as soon as your number is ported.
Awesome, thank you for the quick answer! Really didn't want to mess that up and do things in the wrong order and lose my number.

I'm still in shock that the best contract they could offer me was 500mb/month for $70. That's worse than my current contract (which "isn't compatible with a hardware upgrade") and $15 more expensive per month. Ugly, really ugly.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12231 posts
11101 upvotes
Ixidor wrote: Awesome, thank you for the quick answer! Really didn't want to mess that up and do things in the wrong order and lose my number.

I'm still in shock that the best contract they could offer me was 500mb/month for $70. That's worse than my current contract (which "isn't compatible with a hardware upgrade") and $15 more expensive per month. Ugly, really ugly.
Don't waste your time with Rogers. I got a Zoomer $36 plan for 400 minutes and 1GB of data. 2 years contract with a free Samsung Core LTE. They also have a 2GB plan for $56. $99 Samsung S4 for 2 years contract.

Zoomer is a reseller of Rogers Network. All their plans support LTE data speed. All minutes are Canada wide minutes.
Jun 5, 2007
275 posts
109 upvotes
Ottawa
This question may have been asked before but I used up all my daytime minutes so if I call forward to another phone # (i get 2500 minutes) will that use any of my daytime minutes? Rogers told me it will but I thought that was the whole reason for call forwarding so you don't have to use your phone whether you're out of town or out of minutes? what about using Rogers 1?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35258 posts
21240 upvotes
Center of Universe
Lemmy wrote: This question may have been asked before but I used up all my daytime minutes so if I call forward to another phone # (i get 2500 minutes) will that use any of my daytime minutes? Rogers told me it will but I thought that was the whole reason for call forwarding so you don't have to use your phone whether you're out of town or out of minutes? what about using Rogers 1?
Yes, call forwarding also uses your allotted minutes.
Aug 23, 2007
116 posts
Toronto
Anyone interested in taking over below Rogers plan. its come up to $50-$56 before tax (depending on if you want Cdn. long distance option or not)

Plan is $70 with $20 monthly discount
Includes:
Tethering Access
1 GB Data
Unlimited local minutes (meaning unlimited weekday, unlimited evening and unlimited weekends minutes)
Unlimited text, picture and video messages
Call display and voice mail
conference calling
Call waiting

Also has unlimited cdn long distance at 50% off for $6.00/month; but you have an option to take it off.

Total with CDN long distance is: $56 before tax.
Total without CDN long distance is: $50 before tax

Obviously you can get additional bundle discount if you have one or more Rogers services.

PM if interested.
Nov 2, 2014
1 posts
Hi all.
I'm new to Red Flag Deals, but found this thread through searching on 'Rogers retention plans' or something like that. I found posts useful, so thought I'd actually take a minute to sign up and post my own experience.

I'm 28, I've been with Rogers almost my entire life, first under my family's internet and wireless plan, then when I went to university, I got my own. So under my personal account, I've probably been a customer of Rogers for almost ten years with wireless and with internet, maybe about three of those years. I suspect the length of my relationship with Rogers has a lot to do with my customer loyalty (retention) experience today.

Alright! So here's the story:

I was on a very outdated plan since graduating university (2008). It was originally a student plan of sorts, Canada-wide unlimited calls/texts to My10 and 500mb data. There were maybe 250 text messages for non my10, and unlimited incoming, free evenings and weekends, something like that. I had a valuepack added that included voicemail and caller ID.
$50 student plan
$11 value pack
Fees + taxes came to around $65 a month. Lately i've been incurring a lot of overage charges because I moved to a different city in Ontario.

I bought an iphone 5s factory unlocked from the Apple store because my phone from my plan was just... not holding up anymore! I didn't want to do an upgrade because I have been considering leaving Rogers for some time, but trying to ride out the end of that contract. After getting the new phone though, I noticed I couldn't send or receive MMS messages. It seemed like a simple fix so I went to the online chat and spoke to a woman for almost TWO HOURS about it. She kept giving me information that contradicted the information I'd gotten from the men I spoke to in the rogers store the night before, when I purchased my new phone. She was unable to resolve my MMS issue and instead insisted I switch to the newer Share Everything plan. I told her I wasnt interested in switching yet, because I wanted to ride out the end of this plan and that her logic didn't make sense.

Anyway, that's a long story.

I finally got around to calling customer relations today, totally ready to switch to Virgin mobile. At this point, I have about $80 left on my flextab to pay Rogers before i'm freed of the contract

However, I got the following offer after telling the rep I was calling to leave Rogers:

Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
Unlimited text/pic/video messaging
Call forwarding
Call display
LTE 2GB

$75 until the end of my contract which is in about five months.

So while this plan is more expensive than the plan I was considering at Virgin, and is about the same as what I'm paying now anyway (Like I said, I was incurring overage charges after moving to a different city in Ontario, so Long D minutes started to add up)... he assured me that come April 2015, I'd be notified by him personally, and switched over to the same plan (or similar) for $70. The extra $5 is simply to cover my commitment charges. So, yes, more pricey, BUT $5 x 5months = $25 until the end of April... Which is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than my tab of $80.

It's a good deal in my situation, and I was surprised by the offer. I think I'll still end up switching to a different provider, though, when this contract is expired in a few months.

I hope this can be useful for some of you.
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote: Don't waste your time with Rogers. I got a Zoomer $36 plan for 400 minutes and 1GB of data. 2 years contract with a free Samsung Core LTE. They also have a 2GB plan for $56. $99 Samsung S4 for 2 years contract.

Zoomer is a reseller of Rogers Network. All their plans support LTE data speed. All minutes are Canada wide minutes.
Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if they support iPhones? I had a look at their website and they don't seem to indicate anything either way.

Just sent them an e-mail to ask, also. Will update once I hear back.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12231 posts
11101 upvotes
qualdoth wrote: Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if they support iPhones? I had a look at their website and they don't seem to indicate anything either way.

Any unlock phone or phone locked to Rogers/Fido will work with Zoomer Wireless (Rogers Network). If you need a nano SIM card, you need to tell them when you sign up. But they do not support visual voice mail on iPhone.

One can get free visual voice mail by getting a number from freephoneline(FPL) and forward your call when no answer to the FPL number. You need to configure FPL to send the voice mail mp3 file to your inbox. Your FPL number can be used to receive FAX too.
Dec 25, 2002
650 posts
212 upvotes
qualdoth wrote: Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if they support iPhones? I had a look at their website and they don't seem to indicate anything either way.

Embguy already answered this but I just want to chime in my experience. I am currently using a Rogers locked iphone 4s on Zoomer wireless. No issues at all and except for visual voicemail works exactly the same as my Rogers service did. I did email them prior to signing up because when I buy my next phone I will need a nano sim. They replied that they only have micros but that they would cut one to a nano size. I have been with Zoomer for a couple weeks and have been very impressed with them. In fact I just got my first invoice and it was correct! (Something I never experienced with Rogers!)

Kelly

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

mzmoney