Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Aug 17, 2018
158 posts
259 upvotes
I was just called by 1855-207-8310, trying to win me back from Freedom.

He offered two deals:

Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB
Unlimited Canada wide calling
5GB Data
$300 credit on second bill
$72 + tax]

OR

Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB
4GB Data
$500 credit on second bill
$80 + tax]

I do not use a lot of data, so I do not need anything like a 10G plan.

At freedom I pay currently $75 + tax which includes 5G of data plus unlimited calling to the US which Rogers does not have plus the Galaxy S8. I also still have $660 on MyTab that I would need to pay off, but I can probably sell the S8 for around $400 easily.

Thoughts?
Sep 13, 2012
897 posts
470 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
rebel_rfd wrote: How long does it take to resolve a matter with the Ombudsman?

They have all the details, times, dates, offers, persons sent to them via a document.
You'll be contacted via email and asked to sign a consent form for the Ombudsman to access and review your file. You'll be presented with a summary of the facts presented to the Ombudsman by the advisor at office of the President at which time you'll have the opportunity to reply back with your summation. I would encourage you to be extremely detailed in your email with every piece of supporting information, confirmation, interaction number, names and dates, etc. After sending off your email it could take up to 30 days for the Ombudsman to arrive at a recommendation which you can either choose to accept or decline - should you accept the recommendation the Ombudsman contacts Rogers and immediately provides instruction and should you decline the recommendation the CCTS is the next step.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1839 upvotes
Toronto
100Pacer wrote: You'll be contacted via email and asked to sign a consent form for the Ombudsman to access and review your file. You'll be presented with a summary of the facts presented to the Ombudsman by the advisor at office of the President at which time you'll have the opportunity to reply back with your summation. I would encourage you to be extremely detailed in your email with every piece of supporting information, confirmation, interaction number, names and dates, etc. After sending off your email it could take up to 30 days for the Ombudsman to arrive at a recommendation which you can either choose to accept or decline - should you accept the recommendation the Ombudsman contacts Rogers and immediately provides instruction and should you decline the recommendation the CCTS is the next step.
I feel like I need to use an Excel Sheet instead of Evernote to track all these Rogers interactions.

Has it always been 30 days or do they wrap it up quicker?
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3216 posts
644 upvotes
I don't want to go into the horribly detailed account of my negotiations with Rogers, but suffice it to say that they made a very good unsolicited offer by e-mail which I accepted and which they then balked at providing and after a LOT of hassle I got a decent cash settlement, but am paying about $35 plus taxes per month more than the offer was.

I'm located in Quebec and have 3 lines on a notab share everything plan.

First line - ShareEverything+ 20GB-No Tab: $90 + tax

- Unlimited Canada-wide Minutes
- Unlimited Sent & Received Messages Text, Picture & Video
- Call Display with Name Display
- Enhanced Voicemail
- 2500 Call Forwarding Mins
- Conference Calling
- Call Waiting
- 20GB Shared Data

Value Pack: $7 plus tax

- Unlimited US & International Text, Picture & Video Messages
- Preferred US & Intl LD Rate
- Premium Voicemail-To-Text
- 35 Voice Messages
- Name Display
- WhoCalled
- $3 discount on protection plan (which I don't have)

I have 2 additional notab lines on the account, each of which costs $40 plus tax and each has the same $7 value pack as I do

I get 10% off the basic line rates via the Desjardins promo. so I pay $174 + 911 + taxes for all three for a total of $201.65 /month.

What's REALLY sad is that my daughter is in Europe and her plan there includes 20 gigs of data and unlimited calling to Canada and the US for $13 (yes) Canadian per month all in.

The question is: Can I do better?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12713 posts
2143 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
itrocks4u wrote: Just so I understand:
Rogers is offering you a plan for $85 with 10% off which means they are giving it to you $63.75 per month on upcoming iPhone X. People went crazy over $60 10GB plan but you're getting brand new X for only $3.75 additional per month?

So $999 phone after $450 credits + $3.75 x 24months = $639+tax. Basically you're getting a brand new phone for 50% off?
First off... I'm am existing robbers customer not a new port-in as rebel_rfd assumes, lol. This is a 24 mos deal. They added an extra $75 off the upfront cost. They called it a "back pocket" credit. So total is $525 (450 + 75) credit off the upcoming $999 iphone X-plus (assuming that's the new price). Never seen a 24 mos fone deal with upfront cost more than $1k. Considering apple says manuf. cost have dropped $110usd per X model it shud keep the pricing structure the same as last year or a bit less.

Tier 3 reps (cancellation reps) CAN add the 25% off the appropriate price plans. Normally this applies to any premium/premium+ plan on 1) new port-in 2) new hardware upgrade 3)outright purchase of fone thru robbers. Yes, the 10GB/$85 wud be $63.75. A retentions rep wud live chat with a tier 3 rep to add the product code for the discount. The 10GB/$60 plan promo from xmas does not apply.

Like I said, if I sold my current fone... I'm estimating approx $250 then my final upfront cost shud be $999 - $450 - $75 = $474+tx = $535. Less fone sale = approx $285. So I'm getting more than 50% off since the X-plus will mos def be in the 1400-1500 range full price. 474 +90 (3.75x24)/1450 (avg) = approx 61% off.

FYI - Escalation order... Tier 1 rep, regular customer service. < Tier 2 rep - retentions, customer relations. < Tier 3 rep - cancellation rep. < WinBack Team. < Office of the President. < The Ombudsman
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Feb 8, 2013
127 posts
40 upvotes
Just got off the phone with Rogers (pressing the "unlock my phone" menu reaches a retentions personnel of some sort).

On Monday, I called and was offered $75 discount on a phone (S8, S8+, S9, S9+ or Note 9).
S8, S8+ and S9 would be at premium tab and the plan I got offered was $85 for 5GB data and unlimited Canada wide

Today, a different person bumped the offer to $150 credit and that's it. Didn't budge on the plan and explained timing, discounts disappear after weekends, blah blah blah. He also said that if I accepted the credit for an upgrade, that any other "offers" from various cell phone providers wouldn't apply (so no prepaid Visa cards, etc) whic I don't believe.

Bottom line is I'm positive that I could do better so may just go elsewhere for a temporary time

Kev
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12713 posts
2143 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
JanZ95915 wrote: I was just called by 1855-207-8310, trying to win me back from Freedom.

He offered two deals:

Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB
5GB Data
$300 credit on second bill
$72 + tax]

OR

Samsung Galaxy S9 64GB
4GB Data
$500 credit on second bill
$80 + tax]

I do not use a lot of data, so I do not need anything like a 10G plan.

At freedom I pay currently $75 + tax which includes 5G of data plus unlimited calling to the US which Rogers does not have plus the Galaxy S8. I also still have $660 on MyTab that I would need to pay off, but I can probably sell the S8 for around $400 easily.

Thoughts?
2 deals are the same, lol. $200 credit difference is made up by increase in price plan plus you lose a GB. 200/$8 = 25 mos, that's the entire term. You win nothing. Better off on deal A. Robbers always tries to decrease your upfront cost by increasing price plan to make up for it. Best deal is always pay for the fone in full. No tab, no fuss.
Sep 13, 2012
897 posts
470 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
rebel_rfd wrote: I feel like I need to use an Excel Sheet instead of Evernote to track all these Rogers interactions.

Has it always been 30 days or do they wrap it up quicker?
My 1st escalation lasted 14 days, the recommendation letter stated call recordings were lost but they had no reason to dispute my support info, and decided in my favour. My 2nd escalation lasted 30 days, the recommendation letter stated the recorded conversations were reviewed, and decided in my favour.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1839 upvotes
Toronto
aznnorth wrote: First off... I'm am existing robbers customer not a new port-in as rebel_rfd assumes, lol. This is a 24 mos deal. They added an extra $75 off the upfront cost. They called it a "back pocket" credit. So total is $525 (450 + 75) credit off the upcoming $999 iphone X-plus (assuming that's the new price). Never seen a 24 mos fone deal with upfront cost more than $1k. Considering apple says manuf. cost have dropped $110usd per X model it shud keep the pricing structure the same as last year or a bit less.

Tier 3 reps (cancellation reps) CAN add the 25% off the appropriate price plans. Normally this applies to any premium/premium+ plan on 1) new port-in 2) new hardware upgrade 3)outright purchase of fone thru robbers. Yes, the 10GB/$85 wud be $63.75. A retentions rep wud live chat with a tier 3 rep to add the product code for the discount. The 10GB/$60 plan promo from xmas does not apply.

Like I said, if I sold my current fone... I'm estimating approx $250 then my final upfront cost shud be $999 - $450 - $75 = $474+tx = $535. Less fone sale = approx $285. So I'm getting more than 50% off since the X-plus will mos def be in the 1400-1500 range full price. 474 +90 (3.75x24)/1450 (avg) = approx 61% off.

FYI - Escalation order... Tier 1 rep, regular customer service. < Tier 2 rep - retentions, customer relations. < Tier 3 rep - cancellation rep. < WinBack Team. < Office of the President. < The Ombudsman
I didn't assume you were a port in customer. I know you've been riding it out since last year with Rogers on MTM since you weren't impressed by the iPhone X in the subthread. So not sure where I wrote you were a port in customer. The port credit was $500, so if Rogers offered you $450 off it means you weren't given the port credit. But you've also been without a contract for awhile, so Rogers sees that an opportunity.

@itrocks4u

The credits depend on if you're still on a contract or off contract.
Rogers will offer $150 towards a hardware upgrade whether or not you are on a contract. Anything more is based on case specific needs, account history, pricing mix-ups and generosity of reps.

In my case, since I upgraded once already this year, they won't go past the $200 they offered as of yesterday. This is also based on account history, since they waived my flextab balance from last year's Pixel 2 XL upgrade also.
However, they did accidentally issue the $500 port credit onto my account so that helps waive off the flex tab balance on my account.
So I'll be leveraging the $200 from them + $200 from Samsung/Trade Offer towards the $749 of the Note 9. Connection fee was also waived.
And I have the plan currently at $85 - 25% off = $63.75 for 10GB + 2GB.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1741 posts
510 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: I didn't assume you were a port in customer. I know you've been riding it out since last year with Rogers on MTM since you weren't impressed by the iPhone X in the subthread. So not sure where I wrote you were a port in customer. The port credit was $500, so if Rogers offered you $450 off it means you weren't given the port credit. But you've also been without a contract for awhile, so Rogers sees that an opportunity.

@itrocks4u

The credits depend on if you're still on a contract or off contract.
Rogers will offer $150 towards a hardware upgrade whether or not you are on a contract. Anything more is based on case specific needs, account history, pricing mix-ups and generosity of reps.

In my case, since I upgraded once already this year, they won't go past the $200 they offered as of yesterday. This is also based on account history, since they waived my flextab balance from last year's Pixel 2 XL upgrade also.
However, they did accidentally issue the $500 port credit onto my account so that helps waive off the flex tab balance on my account.
So I'll be leveraging the $200 from them + $200 from Samsung/Trade Offer towards the $749 of the Note 9. Connection fee was also waived.
And I have the plan currently at $85 - 25% off = $63.75 for 10GB + 2GB.
Are you sure it's $749 and not $549. Not sure why the continue to quote $549.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1839 upvotes
Toronto
itrocks4u wrote: Are you sure it's $749 and not $549. Not sure why the continue to quote $549.
If you're on the $85 10GB plan right now you can check on the site.

It's $549 on the Premium + (Plus) and it's $749 on the Premium tab.

The reps are probably failing at reading comprehension and not noticing the plus sign beside the Premium tag.

If you get this confirmed to you, leave it be.

Ask them to issue you the $150 hardware upgrade credit.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12713 posts
2143 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
rebel_rfd wrote: I didn't assume you were a port in customer. I know you've been riding it out since last year with Rogers on MTM since you weren't impressed by the iPhone X in the subthread. So not sure where I wrote you were a port in customer. The port credit was $500, so if Rogers offered you $450 off it means you weren't given the port credit. But you've also been without a contract for awhile, so Rogers sees that an opportunity.

LOL, thanks for telling me what I know... besides, just had an update from retentions on the interaction id. Appears I've been given another $75 "back pocket" stackable credit bringing the total to $525.
Aug 25, 2018
24 posts
3 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: If you're on the $85 10GB plan right now you can check on the site.

It's $549 on the Premium + (Plus) and it's $749 on the Premium tab.

The reps are probably failing at reading comprehension and not noticing the plus sign beside the Premium tag.

If you get this confirmed to you, leave it be.

Ask them to issue you the $150 hardware upgrade credit.
What is this $150 hardware upgrade? I got 25% off a premium +tab plan which is now $78 and I’m working on the $500 credit too but how do I go about this $150 credit?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12713 posts
2143 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
One0one wrote: I upgraded to a note 9 but how did you guys get the hardware upgrade credit for $150?
Usually just ask for it, lol. Are you an existing robbers customer or new? If you are porting in a new number (from another carrier) with a hardware upgrade aka note 9, premium + plan, 24 mos you shud be able to get $500 port in credit and the 25% off price plan. You may also get $150 hardware upgrade credit if they are willing to "stack" it for you. However, most robbers reps will let you choose one or the other. Of course you choose the bigger of the two - $500. Now some customers can get crafty and get some rep to stack the $150 on top (luck of the draw). If this is a straight HUP and not a port in you shud only get the $150. The $150 is $100 hardware credit plus $50 discretionary credit by the retentions rep.
Jan 26, 2012
94 posts
73 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Just called in because I started feeling excited after seeing Koodo's $40 8GB plan...

I went from $40 4gb (Migration plan)
to:

$55 7gb plan + 25% discount for 24 months (which I can extend in two years if I wanted too)

so my total went from
40+tax = $45.20
41.25+tax = 46.12

all in all I'm paying an extra 92 cents for 3gb. Not bad for a days work :)

Cheers guys

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

andrewmay9, JasonW54823