Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Sep 13, 2012
897 posts
470 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
rvs007 wrote: I have a question to anyone familiar with how Rogers account system works...

In Oct. 2018 I worked out a retention deal through the OOTP to keep my line at Rogers (I had a comparable offer at Telus but ultimately Rogers sweetened the deal so I stayed). It's a 4GB Ultra Tab for $130 with a 20% discount (that doesn't show any expiration date), then a 25% discount on top of that (expires in 24 months) to bring the cost down to $78/mo. I was also given 5GB bonus data to bring it to 9GB for the 24 months. At the time I upgraded to the iPhone XS and my device balance is currently at $320.

With the upcoming end to Edge plans, I was contemplating doing an early hardware upgrade to max out the device balance before it ends after Jan. 29th. I can upgrade to iPhone 11 Pro for $660 and remain on the Ultra Edge 40 tab. But Rogers is telling me the discounts may not stick (especially the 20% discount that doesn't have any expiry date attached to it) because it seems the OOTP advisor at the time applied an employee/corporate discount for the 20%.

I tried to do the HUP through myrogers.com and I'm able to get through the whole hardware upgrade process to the last confirmation screen where it confirms my old & new plan (and they remain exactly the same). But what that screen doesn't tell me are my discounts and whether they would remain after the hardware upgrade.

Does anyone have any insight into this?
If you were advised the discount may not stick and it’s been noted it would be difficult to proceed only to then claim ignorance (generally speaking) and challenge the discount dropping off. If I were you I would approach the situation by escalating to office of the President and taking the advisor by the hand as you guide them down the tenure/account history/payment history path and then suggest the best strategy would be to apply credits ongoing for 24 months should the discount drop off.
Sep 15, 2006
928 posts
329 upvotes
Ottawa
Is it possible for my wife to update her corporate plan? if so, how?

She's been on a SE 5GB plan for years ($95 - 30%), but they have $75/10GB unl plans available now, is it just a matter of calling in and updating it?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12975 posts
4677 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engman13 wrote: Is it possible for my wife to update her corporate plan? if so, how?

She's been on a SE 5GB plan for years ($95 - 30%), but they have $75/10GB unl plans available now, is it just a matter of calling in and updating it?
My understanding from talking to Rogers over the last couple of days is that for their infinite unlimited plans, corporate discounts no longer get the previous amount of discounts. They will only get 10% for 10GB and 20% for 20GB plans I think.

Edit: And just to add to my previous post, if she is interested in changing plans to the 10GB/$75 infinite plan, then I'd suggest you do it today and get the 20GB inifinite plan for the same cost ($75). That promo ends today.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12975 posts
4677 upvotes
Toronto, ON
So just to post an update on my situation... over the last week I've spoken to an advisor at the OOTP regarding options to stay on an Edge plan because it's most advantageous for me as I expense it to my company. The available options to me were:

1) Pay off my current device balance and then do a hardware upgrade on the existing Ultra FlexTab (Edge 40) plan, but my current 25% plan discount and 20% corporate discount will drop off. My 5GB bonus data will also end in Oct. 2020, bringing my data bucket down to 6GB, which is tight for me.

2) The advisor offered me to a 10GB infinite unlimited plan for $65 BYOD or $105 for Edge 40. Since my company pays for the bill, I didn't mind the increase in the monthly bill but at $105 it exceeded the monthly allowance in expensable cellphone bill. So I wanted to avoid exceeding that amount while maximizing on the Edge 40 (ie. not have to drop down to Edge 30).

I couldn't make a decision last week so I left it as is for now. Over the weekend I saw Rogers had the 20GB infinite unlimited plan for $75 and thought 20GB would definitely ease my concerns about data overages. But with the Edge 40 added to the 20GB, it still exceeded the expensable amount.

So with tomorrow being the last day before Edge plans are no longer offered by Rogers and today being the last day for the 20GB $20 off promo, I called into retention to see what else can Rogers offer to replace my Ultra Tab plan. Spoke to a very helpful retention agent who combed through everything available to her. Finally, I settled on the 15GB non-shared Edge 40 plan for $100, which would bring me just under the maximum expensable amount, while giving me enough data bucket each month so I don't need to worry about overages. She also offered me $150 bill credit on the hardware upgrade to bring my iPhone 11 Pro 256GB upgrade to about $510 with the rest going to phone balance over 24 months.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5032 posts
1840 upvotes
Toronto
And just like that, subsidy plans are gone from Roger's.

Site is updated.

20GB plan now $95 a month.
Jul 5, 2004
244 posts
21 upvotes
So I got royally f*^%ed by Rogers yet again last night. I’ll try to explain the short version. I spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone last night with a manager trying to get a deal with phones. He originally offered us four of the XS and a 11 Pro Max

Legacy Plan x 4 - 15gb each plan $100 each plan. $150 device credit on each phone. We were almost done he put the order through and then came back and said the XS phones are discontinued. So we started from scratch.

Final offer was same plans above with 11s x 4 128gb and 11 Pro Max 256gb. 11s were upfront cost of $110 each with $150 credit and Pro Max $810 upfront minus $150 credit.

So he said the subsidy plans were ending last night so I had to lock it in and I could pick up the phones tomorrow. No problem I did that and got confirmation in my email that the plans were changed. I go to get the phones today from a Rogers store only to be told that the hardware upgrade had to be done last night otherwise I lose the plans he gave me. They said he put it in the notes that I had to pick up last night which isn’t true. I didn’t get off the phone with him until almost 8 o’clock at the store closes at eight so it wasn’t even possible.

So I called Rogers again tonight and wait another 1 1/2 hours to speak to a manager. He repeats there’s nothing he can do as the plans have all changed. I lost it. I was furious. I told him Rogers screws me every time I change my plan and they never give me what was promised. So he is now escalating this to the office of the president.

So my question is what will be office of the president actually do for me? They said it takes 3 to 5 days for them to call me.

Also is there something I should ask them for when they call? I’ve been with Rogers 22 years and I’m sick of all the lies.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2462 posts
380 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
fttn wrote: So I got royally f*^%ed by Rogers yet again last night. I’ll try to explain the short version. I spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone last night with a manager trying to get a deal with phones. He originally offered us four of the XS and a 11 Pro Max

Legacy Plan x 4 - 15gb each plan $100 each plan. $150 device credit on each phone. We were almost done he put the order through and then came back and said the XS phones are discontinued. So we started from scratch.

Final offer was same plans above with 11s x 4 128gb and 11 Pro Max 256gb. 11s were upfront cost of $110 each with $150 credit and Pro Max $810 upfront minus $150 credit.

So he said the subsidy plans were ending last night so I had to lock it in and I could pick up the phones tomorrow. No problem I did that and got confirmation in my email that the plans were changed. I go to get the phones today from a Rogers store only to be told that the hardware upgrade had to be done last night otherwise I lose the plans he gave me. They said he put it in the notes that I had to pick up last night which isn’t true. I didn’t get off the phone with him until almost 8 o’clock at the store closes at eight so it wasn’t even possible.

So I called Rogers again tonight and wait another 1 1/2 hours to speak to a manager. He repeats there’s nothing he can do as the plans have all changed. I lost it. I was furious. I told him Rogers screws me every time I change my plan and they never give me what was promised. So he is now escalating this to the office of the president.

So my question is what will be office of the president actually do for me? They said it takes 3 to 5 days for them to call me.

Also is there something I should ask them for when they call? I’ve been with Rogers 22 years and I’m sick of all the lies.
In a perfect world. The OOP will honor what you were offered. Their job is to oversee the issue, the offer etc. If it's possible they just straight up fix it and offer it right away. That's why it takes a couple days.

For your troubles, I would let them offer it again - but say now add a couple credits for the headache. It's a painful process for both them and us, just understand they are people too and are doing their job - they are locked to do anything as well and you have to follow the 'process' Rogers thinks is best.
May 18, 2019
480 posts
161 upvotes
fttn wrote: So I got royally f*^%ed by Rogers yet again last night. I’ll try to explain the short version. I spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone last night with a manager trying to get a deal with phones. He originally offered us four of the XS and a 11 Pro Max

A them to pull out and listen to the calls. They will honour it.
Jul 5, 2004
244 posts
21 upvotes
cyphon21 wrote: In a perfect world. The OOP will honor what you were offered. Their job is to oversee the issue, the offer etc. If it's possible they just straight up fix it and offer it right away. That's why it takes a couple days.

For your troubles, I would let them offer it again - but say now add a couple credits for the headache. It's a painful process for both them and us, just understand they are people too and are doing their job - they are locked to do anything as well and you have to follow the 'process' Rogers thinks is best.
So they called me Friday to let me know they are working on it. But she even said they no longer have access to those plans but she will see what she can come up with and call me back sometime this week.
Jul 5, 2004
244 posts
21 upvotes
NobleFalcon1 wrote: A them to pull out and listen to the calls. They will honour it.
I did ask and they says it takes 30-45 days to pull the call Astonished Face
May 18, 2019
480 posts
161 upvotes
fttn wrote: I did ask and they says it takes 30-45 days to pull the call Astonished Face
Yeah that's nonsense. Did you ask OOP?
Sep 13, 2012
897 posts
470 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
fttn wrote: So they called me Friday to let me know they are working on it. But she even said they no longer have access to those plans but she will see what she can come up with and call me back sometime this week.
Either ongoing monthly credits applied manually for the term of the deal or a lump sum credit applied. Can’t stand when they play dumb. Be sure to specify a goodwill credit on top of everything else. She gives you any trouble simply ask to escalate to the Ombudsman.
Sep 13, 2012
897 posts
470 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
fttn wrote: I did ask and they says it takes 30-45 days to pull the call Astonished Face
That’s a request for a transcription of the call.
Jan 30, 2008
596 posts
105 upvotes
I am going through a similar issue where something (hardware) was explicitly offered at a certain rate early Jan then due to their error in setting up my accoint, I could not get the upgrade within 30 days (some sort od security hold?). When I called yesterday I was told too bad and I would be paying just under$1500 over the course of 2 years MORE than I would've if they stuck to their promise. I called again today to a Manager who refused to budge and was happy for me to escalate to the OOP.

I imagine they're being flooded by ppl in similar situations to us. It honestly stinks of class action lawsuit. The idea that previous agreements can be void simply because Rogers decided so seems unlawful to me and something that would NEVER fly with other industries.

I think they bank on things not being in writing and that verbal agreements are harder to prove especially if the recording is done by them...
Jan 30, 2008
596 posts
105 upvotes
Its funny you mention this as the manager I spoke to today literally said "it's not like I can put ongoing monthly credits on your bill or give you more credits..."

Right...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)