Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Rogers] Rogers Wireless Retention Plans

Jul 16, 2019
518 posts
285 upvotes
Oracle1729 wrote: My current promo ends next month and I'll be paying $105 for 10 gigs.

I spoke to rogers today and the best they were willing to do was $75 for 10 gigs (which is $3 less than I was paying for a plan that came with an $850 hardware credit over 2 years).

It looks like I have to play the porting/winback game, but I've had this phone number for 30 years and I'm worried about losing it. I know there are horror stories out there but most of the time it goes perfectly well. How much risk is there of losing the number when porting it?

If I do port it out, I probably won't accept a winback offer anyway since I really hate porting it.
I got offered $40 for 5Gb or $50 for 10Gb. Contacted Rogers via chat from my account page and told them I was moving 3 phone lines to Freedom. All three of the phones are owned by me (BYOD).
Jul 19, 2019
26 posts
80 upvotes
I’m curious about porting my number for a winback offer. I’ve currently paid off my phone but have a watch on a monthly plan. Is it possible to just port out the cell phone and leave the watch to continue being paid off monthly? Or would the whole account need to be wiped away?
Jun 14, 2011
277 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto
vernonco wrote: I got offered $40 for 5Gb or $50 for 10Gb. Contacted Rogers via chat from my account page and told them I was moving 3 phone lines to Freedom. All three of the phones are owned by me (BYOD).
Thanks for that. I contacted Rogers through web chat, the only thing they would do is the $75 for 10 gig. I told them I was also willing to port in a number from Bell. They said still $75 for 10 gig but they'd do $65 on the second line.

I said I had a friend who was offered $50 for 10 gig, so they checked and came back and said that was expired and just Manitoba when it was available.

Bell offered me $75 for 20 gig so I'll be porting it to that. There's a $45 activation fee though, so I don't think I'd take a win-back offer even if they contact me. I'll reply here with details if I get one though.
Jul 16, 2019
518 posts
285 upvotes
Oracle1729 wrote: Thanks for that. I contacted Rogers through web chat, the only thing they would do is the $75 for 10 gig. I told them I was also willing to port in a number from Bell. They said still $75 for 10 gig but they'd do $65 on the second line.

I said I had a friend who was offered $50 for 10 gig, so they checked and came back and said that was expired and just Manitoba when it was available.

Bell offered me $75 for 20 gig so I'll be porting it to that. There's a $45 activation fee though, so I don't think I'd take a win-back offer even if they contact me. I'll reply here with details if I get one though.
I live in Ontario, not Manitoba. I guess Rogers is on a profitability drive and are willing to let customers walk. Probably next round of promos will be for BF.
Could also be that they are looking at customer 'score'. I have a total of 5 lines with them plus all other stuff like home phone, internet and TV
Mar 13, 2009
666 posts
162 upvotes
Maple
Hello everyone.

Not sure if this was discussed, my apologies if it was.

I'm currently with Rogers, have 3 lines. Main line is $95, the other two lines $55 each, 10GB shared which is sufficient for us.

It's time now to upgrade one of the lines. Went to Rogers. They told us that we have to switch to a new plan, and it would be $75 for the main line and $65 for the two extra lines. Which is fine - the total is the same. BUT: they don't give you a phone for a nominal cost anymore. You have to finance it for $40-50/month or lease it for $30+ per month.

Is this the new normal? Are all companies like this now? I considered their prices already way too high, but I realized that the plans priced in a fully (or almost fully) subsided phone. Now the prices are basically the same, but you also have to pay for the phone almost full price. I find it absolutely outrageous.
May 16, 2010
315 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
yes, they are all like this now. the difference is when the phone is paid off, your bill gets smaller.
Mar 13, 2009
666 posts
162 upvotes
Maple
xman111 wrote: yes, they are all like this now. the difference is when the phone is paid off, your bill gets smaller.
Thank you. The problem is most phones don't age well today. They are not designed to hold more than 2 years, so you are almost forced to upgrade every 2 years. Which was okay when providers subsidized it, but far from okay now. They justified their outrageous prices by the fact that they subsidize the phones - what's their excuse now? (this was a rhetorical question. When there is zero competition, they don't need an excuse to keep the prices high)
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
1125 posts
159 upvotes
Well the game is now to buy a new phone and resell it after 2 years. Rince and repeat. But yeah you should try to pay less for your contract because of this.
Heatware : Chuckdeg
Jul 22, 2015
281 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ported out oct 16 from Rogers to Public and no winback call yet? Face Screaming In Fear
Jan 1, 2009
185 posts
19 upvotes
Finally, 2 of my Rogers cell phones are paid off. Looking for guidance now that I have 4 phones with Rogers, with Quebec numbers, paying $201.84+tax for 30 Gigs. Looking to have 4 BYOP with a carrier, hopefully to get more for less. What do you suggest the best strat is to do now in anticipation of Back Friday? I was thinking of going to Freedom because of carriers seem to want to pull you away from them with incentives (4 of us in Ontario, 1 in Quebec) but not sure if they will port Quebec numbers and worried about my son in Montreal as he would be out of the network. I can't seem to find anything good right now on the websites.
Oct 16, 2020
26 posts
9 upvotes
Long-time Rogers wireless customer here (both my wife and I on $60 / 15gb talk & text). We both got iPhone 12s, so have been looking for 5G plans, though not in any hurry as not a big difference to us.

With the $50 / 20gb EPP wars happening right now, I was fortunate to have my employer have access to the Telus EPP plans. Before I completed the order with Telus, I called Rogers (clicking a "Cancel a line" option). I acknowledge that "there's probably nothing you can do", and "I know unfortunately things have moved to a you-have-to-cancel-and-get-winback-offers" these days for the best deals), but I asked them if there's anything they can do to match the Telus $50/20gb unlimited plan today. I said I'd prefer to stay with Rogers if I can as a long-time customer / obviously less hassle to stay, and not asking them to beat it, just to match it. I'm not eligible for the Rogers EPP plan.

Was a very amicable call, and I think if the rep could've done anything, he would've. He said unfortunately outside of EPP, right now best he could do was $75 / 20gb Infinite (which is the standard in-market plan). Will see if a few weeks from now, I get a winback offer or not (I feel like there will be a wave of movement now with all the EPP offers), but at this point, would only move back to Rogers for the same $45 / 20gb Infinite from a few months ago.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1924 posts
598 upvotes
ak1004 wrote: Thank you. The problem is most phones don't age well today. They are not designed to hold more than 2 years, so you are almost forced to upgrade every 2 years. Which was okay when providers subsidized it, but far from okay now. They justified their outrageous prices by the fact that they subsidize the phones - what's their excuse now? (this was a rhetorical question. When there is zero competition, they don't need an excuse to keep the prices high)
Those are iPhones-well when I had an iPhone more than 10 years ago anyway as Apple was intentionally slowing them down on purpose for you to buy a new one. With Android they last a lot longer for general usage. With a strong case it could last at least 5 years. If you can live without the "brand name" hype Costco normally has great unlocked motorola smartphones for sale
Jul 22, 2015
281 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ported out oct 16 from Rogers to Public. Today is Nov 4th (13th business day) and I still haven't gotten a call back. Maybe its not coming? Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3545 posts
1707 upvotes
GTA
kenvin100 wrote: Those are iPhones-well when I had an iPhone more than 10 years ago anyway as Apple was intentionally slowing them down on purpose for you to buy a new one. With Android they last a lot longer for general usage. With a strong case it could last at least 5 years. If you can live without the "brand name" hype Costco normally has great unlocked motorola smartphones for sale
Wow a range of misinformation in this post.

Yes, Apple was slowing down phone but for the reasoning of battery life. NOT to force you to buy a new one.

Both Apple and Android last 5 years with “general” use. The difference are the updates that both OS’ receive. Apple’s iPhone 6s, which is 5 years old, has received the latest OS update. Whereas android, tend to stop receiving after 2-3 years, depending on manufacturers.

Buying “brand name” phones are actually a better idea if you care about longevity.
Oct 16, 2020
26 posts
9 upvotes
CKinTO wrote: Long-time Rogers wireless customer here (both my wife and I on $60 / 15gb talk & text). We both got iPhone 12s, so have been looking for 5G plans, though not in any hurry as not a big difference to us.

With the $50 / 20gb EPP wars happening right now, I was fortunate to have my employer have access to the Telus EPP plans. Before I completed the order with Telus, I called Rogers (clicking a "Cancel a line" option). I acknowledge that "there's probably nothing you can do", and "I know unfortunately things have moved to a you-have-to-cancel-and-get-winback-offers" these days for the best deals), but I asked them if there's anything they can do to match the Telus $50/20gb unlimited plan today. I said I'd prefer to stay with Rogers if I can as a long-time customer / obviously less hassle to stay, and not asking them to beat it, just to match it. I'm not eligible for the Rogers EPP plan.

Was a very amicable call, and I think if the rep could've done anything, he would've. He said unfortunately outside of EPP, right now best he could do was $75 / 20gb Infinite (which is the standard in-market plan). Will see if a few weeks from now, I get a winback offer or not (I feel like there will be a wave of movement now with all the EPP offers), but at this point, would only move back to Rogers for the same $45 / 20gb Infinite from a few months ago.
Interestingly, I've missed 2 calls from Rogers (one yesterday and one this morning). Given I told the rep (quoted post above) that I was going to switch and take the Telus deal, I wonder if they're trying to give me a winback offer before I do the full port. I just got the e-mail from Telus EPP that the SIM cards have shipped, so I doubt I'll keep Rogers unless they beat the Telus offer (maybe $45 for 20gb Infinite plan for both mine and my wife's lines). Hopefully I'm able to pickup next time and will report back.