Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

[Rogers Wireless] Rogers Black Friday Plans

Mar 5, 2008
399 posts
83 upvotes
i used upfront edge this year when i upgraded my line for a new phone (Iphonexs max 64GB)
my upfront edge amount is 380$

the reason why i did it is that after my 2 year term is up im quite certain i should be able to sell the phone for that amount if not more.

gauging on how much used devices which are about 2 years old (current IphoneX64gb) they're selling used for around 500-600 dollars.
if i can sell my phone for 500 dollars i figure that covers my upfront edge buyout and gives me a few dollars to put towards my next upgrade

works for me
Nov 24, 2019
39 posts
27 upvotes
Garest wrote: For Black Friday the regular Price of the Edge 40 plan has been dropped from 115 to 100 / 15GB unlimited Canada Wide Call/Text (Standard across all companies nowadays)
- for the other 51 weeks in the year the Infinite plans are priced at 75/No Tab, then whatever the "Edge"number is, is the amount you apply to the no Tab Plan which represents how much extra a month you are paying towards the subsidy of your phone

Example Edge40= 115 (75+40=115), Edge 30 (75+30 = 105), Edge20 (75+20= 95)

Fast Forward to This week Rogers Edge 40 Plan is now 100 bucks a month - saving you 15 months a month giving you a plan which others are paying 115/month for
Source: me i have 3 lines on Infinite Edge 40 plans, and 2 lines on Infinite No Tab 75/month plans

So essentially if you want an IPHONE11 you can get one at Zero Dollars with no upfront payment on a Edge 40 plan which will cost you 100/month (113/month x 24 months = 2712$ total over the Contract of 24 months)

If you want an IPHONE11PRO you can get one if you do the following
-get an Edge 40 plan at 113/month Tax included
-give the phone back after your 24month contract is completed
-if you dont want to give the phone back you have to pay back like 450

also everyone should be aware you are subject to pay the taxes NOW for the 450 which is due at the end of the contract

TL;DR - cell phone plans are very expensive in 2019 LMAO
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I am right. The deal referenced on the front page is wrong then if what you are saying is true that it's Edge40 with upfront edge for the iPhone 11 Pro and not upfront edge for Edge30.

So 113 a month for 15gb and an iphone 11.

I have a corporate discount for 25 percent, think that will get me a major discount or will they say no. Anyone else tried this?
Mar 31, 2013
126 posts
33 upvotes
Im thinking about buying a new iPhone 11 upfront....are there any discounts to be had?...is it better to do a tab plan, which I don't have a lot of knowledge on...is the discounting on the tab plans the way to go on BF?
Sep 23, 2010
13 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Wife has a horrid 4GB Ultratab Shareeverything plan (with a year to go) - any chance to change to one of these?
Aug 13, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
I spoke with Rogers this afternoon about these plans and as long as you’ve been with Rogers for 6 months you can get them.
Jun 21, 2011
3 posts
2 upvotes
Has anyone successfully traded in a Google Pixel 2XL to Rogers recently? I brought mine in as a trade-in towards the Pixel 4 XL, but Roger's kept scanning the IMEI as a "Pixel 2" not "Pixel 2 XL". As a result they couldn't complete the trade in (system wouldn't allow it). This is particularly odd since I got the phone from Rogers...
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1467 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have any idea what S&D Identifier Flag A is? Tried changing my plan online and got this warning

Aug 16, 2011
199 posts
60 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I tried to switch online but it only shows me infinite plans. I will try calling today.
Registered Real Estate Sales Representative
Oct 15, 2007
91 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
lonelybadger wrote: I tried to switch online but it only shows me infinite plans. I will try calling today.
Same here interested in 15gb for edge 40 for 100
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2004
1482 posts
85 upvotes
Chrislanoue56 wrote: New policy since august, you can't upgrade any rogers share everything additional lines (those are all grandfathered in and can't upgrade, only main lines you can) You would need to change all lines to an in-market plan (website/retention/black friday)
Sorry not true. I was in the Rogers store in Yorkdale earlier in November and there's a promo this month that you can change a shared line in a Share Everything Plan to an Edge xx line.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2019
38 posts
25 upvotes
steveng wrote: Sorry not true. I was in the Rogers store in Yorkdale earlier in November and there's a promo this month that you can change a shared line in a Share Everything Plan to an Edge xx line.
Isn't that what I said? You just told me you can change it to an in-market plan ("Edge line") in the Rogers store. So what is not true again?
Aug 23, 2014
302 posts
117 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bigtuna99 wrote: That's their goal, to make thing more confusing so people don't know the real $$ value of the purchase/deal.

First you need to realize that the Edge 20 and Edge 40 etc. is just the way they name their plans. If they want you on an expensive plan, they don't say "Buy this premium expensive plan" they say "You need Edge 40 if you want this deal". So that's the first source of $$ they'll get from you (assuming the Edge 40 is more expensive than your current plan since your current plan is $60).

Then there's Upfront Edge, which is basically saying "we would normally sell you this phone for $450 if you join the Edge 40 plan, but we'll do you a favour and not make you pay that and just lend you the phone. But after 2 years we want our phone back. Or, after 2 years you can buy it from us for $450." The part that makes this even shadier is that you have to 'trade up' the phone or buy it out... so it's not like you just give it back and walk away, but they'll be locking you into the same position...again. Eventually, you'll have to pay that $450 (or whatever it becomes when you trade up) if you want out.

So you need to assume that $450 is going to be paid at some point, either on this phone, or the next, or the next.

Your total true cost of getting the new phone = Plan increase + Pay Today + Upfront Edge Savings

Assuming you pay sticker price for the cheapest Edge 40 plan, that means you'll be paying $115 for 10GB data. That's an extra $55 per month from your current plan (x2 years is $1320). There's $0 down for the phone, but $450 in "upfront savings" (which you'll have to pay off eventually unless you keep trading up phones indefinitely), so the total cost of the phone plus 7GB extra data is $1770 over the 2 years. Obviously if you can bargain the $115 plan down to something cheaper it will make the total amount lower.

edit: just remembered the first post is literally about cheaper plans lol, so if you pay $100 for 15GB data, you get an extra 12GB data for extra $40 per month. The $1770 would turn into $1410.

edit 2: just noticed your plan is 15gb + 3gb, I guess this is what happens when I'm tired and reading quickly. So it's actually not extra data; BF deal would be basically equal data, but regular plans would actually be less data for those numbers.
Yes, it’s so confusing.

I’m looking to upgrade from an iphone6 to an iphone xr with 64 gb storage. I’m currently paying $75/mo for 10gb/mo canada wide unlimited calling.

From what I understand from their website, the minimum I need to do is move to an edge 20 plan at $95/mo. No upfront cost for the phone and no need to pay anything to own the phone after 2 years, am I correct? So in other words the new iphone will cost me $20/mo x 24 mos =$460, correct?

https://www.rogers.com/phones/?ipn=1
Last edited by Jedi14 on Nov 28th, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2004
1482 posts
85 upvotes
Chrislanoue56 wrote: Isn't that what I said? You just told me you can change it to an in-market plan ("Edge line") in the Rogers store. So what is not true again?
Sorry, what I meant was that I was able to do a HUP on an additional line in a Share Everything plan and they would change just the one additional line to an Edge 20 line but keep the rest the same.
Sep 12, 2013
117 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga
I am on Shareable plan.
Last night i got the Iphone XR 64GB $0, with $200 upgrade credit. And BF promo includes wither Samsung 8" or Huawei 10" tablet for $0.
The other option was Iphone 11 128GB for $550 with $300 upgrade credit. (i would think tax is on top).
Nov 13, 2019
163 posts
266 upvotes
Jedi14 wrote: Yes, it’s so confusing.

I’m looking to upgrade from an iphone6 to an iphone xr with 64 gb storage. I’m currently paying $75/mo for 10gb/mo canada wide unlimited calling.

From what I understand from their website, the minimum I need to do is move to an edge 20 plan at $95/mo. No upfront cost for the phone and no need to pay anything to own the phone after 2 years, am I correct? So in other words the new iphone will cost me $20/mo x 24 mos =$460, correct?

https://www.rogers.com/phones/?ipn=1

Yeah sounds right, if there's no Upfront Edge and no amount payable immediately, then the incremental cost is just the cost differential in plans... which if you're jumping from $75 to $95 would be $20*24 mo = $80 (your math was off by a tiny bit lol)