S21 + Ultra 5G phone upgrade offer $2.92 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2021 3:30 pm
Sep 19, 2012
19 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond Hill
"$61.25/mo±$26.25/mo±(After bill credit)on financing with Upfront Edge"

how come i checked is: "Includes $35.00/mo. credit"??
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1422 posts
1146 upvotes
Gatineau
polkadots wrote: If you are leasing a phone, then you have some bigger issues to deal with.
What are the bigger issues that I have to deal with? I'm using upfront edge on a Note 20 ultra, paying 90$ a month with a 10gb plan. No issues here, in a year, I'll do the same thing again for the newer Note series. If you're talking about damaging the phone, and having to deal with that, I'm OCD af, and I have never damaged a screen or broken a phone in my life.
Maybe I can build a house with all the boxes from stuff I've bought off RFD
Jun 14, 2021
97 posts
126 upvotes
Seems very account specific and Wouldn't the Costco fido deal be much better than this as OP is paying 80/month for 15GB and leasing the phone?

I just got a winback from fido, 25GB 45$ with 100 bucks credit or 80$ 25GB with iPhone 12 with 200 bucks credit. Didn't end up getting the phone as I don't need a new one.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1035 posts
456 upvotes
Ottawa
takitoes wrote: I've never understood this or the deal listed with phone returns at the end of contract. Even a crappy phone plan will give you a huge discount off a current gen flagship and although painful its not hard to get a plan with 10-20gb to suit most for less then $60/month. Even if you want out, it doesnt take long to reduce the phone buyout price beneath the inflated upfront cost quotes for the devices on your repayments.

Unless your going for the more bang for buck flagships (Vivo, Xiaomi, Poco ect) in which case why not just sell the flagship and pocket the change?

Am i missing something here?

I think thats the problem, they don't give a huge discount off of current gen phones anymore, unless you want to lease them, or maybe via a special offer. This is the first time in more than a decade that i havent been able to get a good deal on a new phone. I've tried several times.
My next option is to cancel service, and try to get something through retentions...
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4291 posts
1375 upvotes
Brampton
One of my lines is a $45/mo credit, another line is $35/mo, it seems tied to the monthly plan cost.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10880 posts
8132 upvotes
Toronto
superscoots wrote: How does this work, do you give the phone back after two years? So you are "leasing it"?
If you damage it, are you on the hook for the $2040?

Pretty likely to drop it to a varying degree in 2 years, could be a liability if you can't afford the buyout.
Last edited by Angultra on Jul 8th, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 23, 2018
144 posts
93 upvotes
jay_w wrote: I think thats the problem, they don't give a huge discount off of current gen phones anymore, unless you want to lease them, or maybe via a special offer. This is the first time in more than a decade that i havent been able to get a good deal on a new phone. I've tried several times.
My next option is to cancel service, and try to get something through retentions...
But like even at $50 a month = $1200 over 24months its cheaper then outright. Its not hard to get a significantly cheaper plan then that. OP paying $80 a month and having to give the phone back at the end seems crazy no?

Makes sense buying the $600-$1000 flagships out of china ect but even then I tend to sign up for the best phone I can every 1.5 years (retentions will usually waive buyouts if they are around $100-$150) and flip it to cover most / all the cost of such a device and just usually pay ~$20-$25 a month = ~$500 over 24months rather then the larger amount up front.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2658 posts
1770 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
What's stopping OP from returning the phone after 24 months and possibly buying another S21 Ultra 5 G phone on the open market when prices would have dropped significantly by then?
superscoots wrote: Yeah that is the off-putting part, then you are trapped in the endless monthly lease cycle

I've always just bought the last gen outright from private, I don't know if I want to get sucked into the monthly payments.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Apr 30, 2018
96 posts
79 upvotes
Vancouver
Idk, unlike cars people usually keep their phones for two years at most before getting a new one
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1719 posts
1307 upvotes
Pickering
superscoots wrote: Yeah that is the off-putting part, then you are trapped in the endless monthly lease cycle

I've always just bought the last gen outright from private, I don't know if I want to get sucked into the monthly payments.

This. Started doing this two years ago, and between buying used phones and flipping others, it's come to the point I essentially haven't paid for a phone in well over a year, even though I own two of them.
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Aug 30, 2007
186 posts
35 upvotes
I'm interested also. I've bought my phone outright many years ago (blackberry keyone). Now that its kind of archaic and Blackberry not making a Key3, thinking of switching to Samsung. Tempting offer. I got the same offer once I signed in. Below is the information many asked in the posts.

Offers subject to change without notice. A Setup Service Fee of $45 per line applies to setup your device and related services. The Setup Service Fee is waived through self-serve on rogers.com (but not through Live Chat and Customer Service). If you require device setup in-store thereafter, a $45 Setup Service Fee will apply. Early cancellation fees apply. Taxes extra. Services not provided by Rogers and subject to third-party terms and conditions.

Financing: 0% APR on approved credit with a device financing agreement (DFA) and a Rogers Infinite plan. A down payment may be required based on our evaluation of your credit. DFA based on full price plus applicable taxes (excluding promo credits, if applicable, which are applied monthly on your bill for as long as your DFA is in place); if your DFA is terminated and or if your wireless plan is cancelled your outstanding financing balance becomes due. The promo credit (if applicable) will end in both cases.

Upfront Edge: Program consists of purchase of eligible phone on Rogers Infinite plans with financing; Upfront Edge amount is applied after taxes to lower monthly financing program payments. You must return phone in good working condition (must power up to the home screen, accept a charge, and have the ability to perform a factory reset; LCD/touchscreen must be functioning and cannot have any dark spots, blemishes or broken and/or cracked glass; all accounts and passwords must be removed and/or turned off; device cannot have been reported lost or stolen) during month 24 (or in months 2-24 while upgrading to a new phone with financing), otherwise Upfront Edge Amount will be charged to your account. Cancelling your services during your 2-year Upfront Edge term will result in charging of Upfront Edge Amount, in addition to your outstanding financing balance.

Early Cancellation Fee (applicable to Term Services only). An Early Cancellation Fee(ECF) applies if you were given a device subsidy when you agreed to your new term, and if, for any reason, your wireless service or your new term is terminated prior to the end of the term of your Service Agreement (Service Agreement Term). The ECF is equal to the device subsidy multiplied by the number of months remaining in your Service Agreement Term divided by the total number of months of your Service Agreement Term (plus applicable taxes). In other words, ECF = Device Subsidy x # months left in your Service Agreement Term ÷ Total # months in your Service Agreement Term + applicable taxes.

1. Largest based on total square kilometers of Rogers 5G coverage compared to published coverage of other national networks.
2. Offer available to Rogers Wireless customers with iOS or Android phones who sign up for the Google One 100 GB tier and above using the link provided to customers through SMS. Subscriptions from $2.79/mo for 100 GB, $3.99/mo for 200 GB, $13.99/mo for 2 TB thereafter.
Apr 16, 2019
506 posts
522 upvotes
Angultra wrote: If you damage it, are you on the hook for the $2040?

Pretty likely to drop it to a varying degree in 2 years, could be a liability if you can't afford the buyout.
1. Agreed.

2. In my case I got a win back deal from Bell ($45 for unlimited Canada wide calls and txts and 25gb data) and they let me pick up a new samsung s21+ on a lease for $1.79 for 24 months (ymmv) on May 23rd at phone shop at Costco. I plan to return it, as 5G smartphones should have a few important improvements by then like mmWave...

I don't know if Rogers will let you pick up these deals/ phone at Costco phone shop, but their accidental damage plan is cheaper in terms of plan cost and deductible per claim by a country mile. Call a Costco phone store for details, as it depends on the model of android phone...
Nov 24, 2019
116 posts
73 upvotes
Just checked my offer, theyll give me an S21 Ultra for $16.25 a month with bring it back option...really not that great, not after seeing ~$2/month from others
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2255 posts
1831 upvotes
Hamilton
GiOBoY wrote: Seems like taxes are being applied BEFORE the discount, otherwise it's a solid deal.
No, that's not the proper calculation. The other post stating it's the full price of the phone over the cost of the term seems more correct.

Are they even allowed to do this?
Aug 30, 2007
186 posts
35 upvotes
I had the offer 2 days ago for $2 per month and now its increased to $10 month. odd!
Apr 20, 2021
144 posts
169 upvotes
takitoes wrote: I've never understood this or the deal listed with phone returns at the end of contract. Even a crappy phone plan will give you a huge discount off a current gen flagship and although painful its not hard to get a plan with 10-20gb to suit most for less then $60/month. Even if you want out, it doesnt take long to reduce the phone buyout price beneath the inflated upfront cost quotes for the devices on your repayments.

Unless your going for the more bang for buck flagships (Vivo, Xiaomi, Poco ect) in which case why not just sell the flagship and pocket the change?

Am i missing something here?
The program used to give you about a $300 discount for returning the device. Crap deal.

But now it's much, much greater. Think of it as selling a depreciated phone to them in two years for $600.
Aug 30, 2007
186 posts
35 upvotes
What does everyone think of the S20 FE ? I can get it for $5 month extra. ( regular $50 month -$45 discount). Not part of Upfront edge program. Phone is mine after 2 years
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23102 posts
28606 upvotes
I'm going to take a wild guess and assume the title is inaccurate.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
1561 posts
2434 upvotes
Pointe Claire
colllyj wrote: I just upgraded my phone with Rogers for $2.92/month for a Samsung S21 + Ultra 5G phone with upfront edge. Typically it's $52.92 But they had a $50/month credit for all upgrades on this phone.
They say the phone costs $2000 ... It's actually like $1400 on samsung.ca so I'm not sure how they got that price.

They also had a $55 bill credit applied to my phone line too. Not sure why, but it'll help!

S21 + ultra:
I will pay $2.92/month x 24 months = $70.08
Upfront edge is $770 (nuts....)
Plus the cost of a data plan

128GB is $2.92
256GB is $5.42

This offer was available to me when signing into my self serve and clicking on "exclusive offer".
I had an S8+ ... Since 2017 (don't laugh)

Hope this deal helps those looking to upgrade their phone at a lil cost.

Question for you: should I add device protection? It's an additional $18.99/month (nutssss)

SmartSelect_20210708-144504_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
How much is your plan?

Rogers is a classic example of a company using deceptive pricing.
First pricing is unclear and not upfront. Secondly, they charge you taxes on the full over-inflated price of the phone. In this case roughly $300 spread out over 24 months...$12.50 a month. Then, (because they know what they are doing) it somehow takes them a couple of months to adjust to the price you signed up for. Meanwhile, you pay full price on the phone - $52 or whatever per month for a few months. Let's say an extra $150 you were not expecting. If you think that's normal, then you are living in the 1970's. Crooked a.f. Not sure how there is not a lawsuit against them.
Finally after 3 months you get a bill showing you the "deal" you got.

And don't even think of changing your plan over the 24 months. It will cancel all incentives.

I'm sure you got a good deal. Just as not as great as you thought. Certainly a great phone!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6409 upvotes
I'm convinced that these telcos are trying to push everyone to get 5g phones so that people can blaze through their legacy plans and buy new market plans with bigger data buckets.

When I first got a 5g phone I did a speed test on 5g and ended up using almost 1 gig of data.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)