• Mar 19th, 2024 5:02 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7309 posts
6240 upvotes

Rogers Bank credit cards - up to 3% cash back on everything

Welcome to the discussion thread for all Rogers Bank credit cards (Basic MC, World Elite MC). Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Earning Rewards:

Basic MC:
  • 1% on everything if you have no Rogers/Fido/Shaw Services.
  • 2% on everything if you have at least one Rogers/Fido/Shaw service.
  • 1.5x bonus when you redeem on any Rogers/Fido/Shaw purchase charged to the card. It equals to 3% on everything when you have at least one Rogers/Fido/Shaw service.
  • 5 Roam Like Home days for free every card membership year (Rogers mobile customers only).

World Elite MC (until April 8, 2024):
  • 3% on purchases in USD.
  • 1.5% on everything else.

World Elite MC (starting on April 9, 2024):
  • 3% on purchases in USD.
  • 1.5% on everything else if you have no Rogers/Fido/Shaw Services.
  • 2% on everything if you have at least one Rogers/Fido/Shaw service.
  • 1.5x bonus when you redeem on any Rogers/Fido/Shaw purchase charged to the card. It equals to 4.5% (4.5% - 2.5% FX Fee = net 2% return) on purchases in USD and 3% on everything else when you have at least one Rogers/Fido/Shaw service.
  • 5 Roam Like Home days for free every card membership year (Rogers mobile customers only)

Redemption:
  • Points can be redeemed against ANY purchases at anytime for statement credit as long as you have accumulated $10 cash back.

Other Benefits (World Elite MC only):
  • Extended Warranty (Up to one additional year)
  • Purchase Protection (90 days; Combined with Extended Warranty, Maximum of $65,000 per account)
  • Out-of-province Emergency Medical ($1 million. 10 days for ppl < 65, 3 days for ppl >= 65)
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption (Each benefit: $1,000 per insured person to a maximum of $5,000 per account, per trip.)
  • Trip Delay ($150/day for a maximum of 3 days or the benefit maximum, whichever comes first.)
  • Car Rental Collision / Loss Damage Insurance (31 days, MSRP $65,000)
  • Assistance Services (24/7, emergency and non-emergency situations while travelling)
  • Boingo WIFI (https://redeem.boingo.com/mcsi/)
  • Mastercard Airport Experiences

Requirement (World Elite MC):
  • Meet one of the followings: 80k personal, or 150k household annual income

Annual fee:
  • NO annual fee

How to apply?
Welcome Bonus:

FinlyWealth - $60:
Frugal Flyer - $50:
GCR - $50:
Last edited by EdisonL299 on Feb 23rd, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 35 times in total.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Thread Summary
Thread summary and FAQ is work in progress. It is intended to be a RFD collaborative effort so please add useful information here. Much of this info was copied from the old threads, thanks to the contributors of those threads for their work.

FAQ

Q: What counts as a Rogers/Fido/Shaw service to get the 2%?
From Rogers Bank website, Feb 17 2024:
You will be eligible for 2% cash back if you are actively subscribed to only 1 eligible service. Eligible services include:
* Postpaid Rogers-branded consumer mobile plans (which includes wireless home phone and tablet data plans). For these plans, users who have permission to make changes (i.e. a Level 1 Authorized User) are also eligible.
* Postpaid Fido-branded consumer mobile plans – primary account holders only (which includes wireless home phone and tablet data plans)
* Any Rogers, Shaw or Fido-branded internet, TV, home phone, home monitoring or satellite service – primary account holders only.

Q: What's the difference between the two cards?
Other than what is posted above, the World Elite card ($80,000/$150,000 personal/household income required to apply) has these additional benefits over the basic card:
- Extended Warranty (Up to one additional year)
- Purchase Protection (90 days; Combined with Extended Warranty, Maximum of $65,000 per account)
- Out-of-province Emergency Medical ($1 million. 10 days for ppl < 65, 3 days for ppl >= 65)
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption (Each benefit: $1,000 per insured person to a maximum of $5,000 per account, per trip.)
- Trip Delay ($150/day for a maximum of 3 days or the benefit maximum, whichever comes first.)
- Car Rental Collision / Loss Damage Insurance (31 days, MSRP $65,000)
- Assistance Services (24/7, emergency and non-emergency situations while travelling)
- Boingo WIFI (https://redeem.boingo.com/mcsi/)
- Mastercard Airport Experiences

Q: Are product switches between the cards possible?
Yes. Call in to request. You will be issued a new card and new card number.

Q: I just made a purchase. Where are my rewards?
It takes a few business days for transactions to post, and another few days for rewards to appear. Normally, anywhere between 2 to 5 business days. Regular glitching may delay this process even longer (weeks are not unheard of). Rewards may appear in stages, as in 0%, followed by 1%, followed by 1% as a bonus.

Q: I have some rewards, but no transactions show up as available to redeem. Why?
You need $10 in rewards balance to be able to redeem. Until you reach that, nothing will show up. Once you reach that, you will see redeemable transactions going forward

Q: Rogers gave me a really low credit limit. Can it be increased?
Yes, Rogers Bank is notorious for giving low initial credit limits. You can call in (1-855-775-2265) and request a limit increase every 7 months. There is no hard credit check.

Q: Is there another way to set up text alert if it failed under online banking?
Yes. Anyone who has trouble setting up text alert, text HELP to 747265, then re-add your phone number to the Alert Contacts on your Rogers Bank account. You will receive a text message soon to verify and you reply YES.

Q: I just made a foreign currency purchase. How much will I be gaining/losing in rewards?
This will depend on whether you are a Rogers/Fido/Shaw customer, which 'tier' card you have, and whether you decide to redeem your rewards towards Rogers/Fido/Shaw purchases (including bills). For breakdown of each possible scenarios, please refer to Post #11513: https://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38843489

Q: When I return a product bought in a foreign currency, how much will I lose?
There is a 2.5% FX fee when both buying and returning. Return an item and you will be out 5%.

Q: My wife holds the Rogers MC but I am the account holder for our Rogers services. Can she link her card to my account?
Yes, if she is the level 1 authorized user on the Rogers account. Fido and Shaw account do not work for Level 1 authorized users.
11543 replies
Mar 12, 2018
53 posts
68 upvotes
Ducky wrote: how long before Rogers devalues this card??? lol
Haha, maybe. However, this is now a world elite so they figured out a way to pass the extra costs onto the merchant because the fees are higher for world elite cards. That’s probably why there’s no annual fee on this.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7309 posts
6240 upvotes
Jkl012 wrote: Haha, maybe. However, this is now a world elite so they figured out a way to pass the extra costs onto the merchant because the fees are higher for world elite cards. That’s probably why there’s no annual fee on this.
Ya, no annual fee + travel insurance/purchase benefits on top of the 2/1.75/1.5% cash back make it hot imo.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1685 posts
744 upvotes
TBD
If this will be a cashback card that only has a yearly redemption of cashback like Rogers other offerings...I don't think i'll be considering it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7309 posts
6240 upvotes
Well imo even though Rogers devalues this card 2 years later, it won't go too far because it is a World Elite card, and there could be many changes in the Canadian credit card market after 2 years.
I guess I will keep my Rogers MC then upgrade it in June. Some ppl might argue we shouldn't trust Rogers, but we need a backup plan because of our pathetic credit card offers. Just in case MBNA RWE and Brim WE discontinue in the future.
Mar 19, 2018
224 posts
229 upvotes
Ducky wrote: how long before Rogers devalues this card??? lol
Poutinesauce wrote: I'm not trusting anything Rogers makes ever again, no thank you.
lol not sure why everyone is being so negative. First of all it's pretty common practice that all these banks have been devaluing their credit card offerings (Tangerine, BMO etc.) so it's not like Rogers is alone.

Second, unless you don't qualify for this card because of the 80k income requirement this card is FAR better than the original Rogers card! 2% on Rogers products is higher than the current card, 1.75 on everything else and 1.5 net on FX is the same as current AND ON TOP OF THIS for no fee we will now get warranty, purchase assurance, and a full suite of insurances (medical/trip/car) for nothing. If Rogers changes this card in two years, whatever, we churn it and move on. If this card is as OP laid out we should all be ecstatic. Some people are just never happy lol
Jun 24, 2016
695 posts
703 upvotes
Since it's a world elite, it'll also come with Concierge. Probably worth adding.

That being said, unlike Visa, each MC issuer is responsible for outsourcing the concierge function, so it remains to be seen whether this one will be useful.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4501 posts
3666 upvotes
Ottawa
kevdanga wrote: If this will be a cashback card that only has a yearly redemption of cashback like Rogers other offerings...I don't think i'll be considering it.
Can't wait until the end of the year?

This seems like a good card back the the 1.5% net foreign purchases. The no fee thing seems unlikely to me, but we will see.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
3021 posts
1533 upvotes
Burnaby
Interesting, applied and approved for the MBNA Rewards WE to have on hand after Rogers Platinum devaluation notice. I'd definitely upgrade my current Rogers card to this hopefully it also would come with more normal credit limits.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2012
1685 posts
744 upvotes
TBD
fogetmylogin wrote: Can't wait until the end of the year?

This seems like a good card back the the 1.5% net foreign purchases. The no fee thing seems unlikely to me, but we will see.
The point is I shouldn't have to. All of my other CCs offer monthly or manual redemption throughout the year. Its very archaic to have to call in yearly by a certain date to get the cashback I've earned.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4501 posts
3666 upvotes
Ottawa
kevdanga wrote: The point is I shouldn't have to. All of my other CCs offer monthly or manual redemption throughout the year. Its very archaic to have to call in yearly by a certain date to get the cashback I've earned.
You can set the preference and then it is done automatically. It is strange and they seem to want you to think it is only for a Rogers credit which discourages a lot of people yet they will give it as a statement credit. I had $10k in foreign purchase for a $400 credit last year so I would rather wait than get half as much with another card. I will switch for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
EdisonL299 wrote: I just talked to a rep from Rogers Bank and confirmed a few things on the new Rogers World Elite MC:

- 2% cash back on Rogers products and related services (Rogers/Fido/Chatr bills)
- 1.75% cash back on all other purchases in CAD
- 4% (net 1.5% after 2.5 FX Fee) cash back on purchases made in foreign currencies
- No cap, unlimited cash back
- Extended Warranty
- Purchase Protection
- Out-of-province Emergency Medical
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption
- Car Rental Collision / Loss Damage Insurance
- 80k/150k income requirement
- To be launched in June 2018
- No annual fee

I couldn't get more details about the travel insurance and purchase benefits because they said they were still working on the new card. After the card launch, you can call Rogers Bank and switch over to the new WE card if you meet the income requirement, no credit check.

I know people are getting frustrated on the Rogers/Fido MC's devaluation, but this card seems interesting. The second no-fee WE card in Canada and it seems more versatile and better than PCF WE. Are you going to apply/switch to the new Rogers WE?
Any idea how many days the medical insurance is?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Jan 14, 2017
746 posts
664 upvotes
It seems I need to reconsider cancelling my Rogers MasterCard.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
2060 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Why wouldn't they release this card at the same time as devaluing the other one? There must be a strategy here, but I don't know what it is as I will have moved on to MBNA by then.
Oct 26, 2016
278 posts
162 upvotes
f00kie wrote: Why wouldn't they release this card at the same time as devaluing the other one? There must be a strategy here, but I don't know what it is as I will have moved on to MBNA by then.
They didn't ANNOUNCE simultaneously. However, they have confirmed the World Elite will launch May 23rd, the same day as the devaluation, and they will be working in advance to assist existing cardholders who qualify to process an upgrade so that they can have the new card on the date of, thus never experiencing the devaluation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6893 posts
5575 upvotes
If it is indeed no annual fee, this card could be a contender for the one card that does it all.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
2060 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
MHC111688 wrote: They didn't ANNOUNCE simultaneously. However, they have confirmed the World Elite will launch May 23rd, the same day as the devaluation, and they will be working in advance to assist existing cardholders who qualify to process an upgrade so that they can have the new card on the date of, thus never experiencing the devaluation.
I am a customer who meets the new requirements and would have loved to stay... except I already signed up with MBNA. So no, this is not the best way to do it to retain customers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9110 posts
6962 upvotes
West GTEH!
EdisonL299 wrote: I just talked to a rep from Rogers Bank and confirmed a few things on the new Rogers World Elite MC:

- 2% cash back on Rogers products and related services (Rogers/Fido/Chatr bills)
- 1.75% cash back on all other purchases in CAD
- 4% (net 1.5% after 2.5 FX Fee) cash back on purchases made in foreign currencies
- No cap, unlimited cash back
- Extended Warranty
- Purchase Protection
- Out-of-province Emergency Medical
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption
- Car Rental Collision / Loss Damage Insurance
- 80k/150k income requirement
- To be launched in June 2018
- No annual fee

I couldn't get more details about the travel insurance and purchase benefits because they said they were still working on the new card. After the card launch, you can call Rogers Bank and switch over to the new WE card if you meet the income requirement, no credit check.

I know people are getting frustrated on the Rogers/Fido MC's devaluation, but this card seems interesting. The second no-fee WE card in Canada and it seems more versatile and better than PCF WE. Are you going to apply/switch to the new Rogers WE?
Thanks OP.
Might have to reactivate my Rogers MC to see if I would qualify for this card in June. Cancelled it a couple weeks ago, before the changes and upcoming changes.

Update: Called Rogers to re-activate my card, after closing it a couple weeks ago, was told they'd have to do another hard hit on my credit report. Smiling Face With Horns Told Rogers forget it, leave my Account closed.
Last edited by Webhead on Mar 20th, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
😎

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

M_Matt, 1s22s22p4