Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16462 posts
22343 upvotes
ONTARIO
BobSagget wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 8:50 pm
So this was kind of funny.

Tonight out of the blue Rogers phones me to let me know that my $39.99 gigabit promotion price is ending next month and was asking if I'd like to hear about some exciting new offers.
I decided to listen to what he had to say and upon opening up my account (I didn't provide any details, he had it already) he realized I was already offered another promotion starting the day after my $39.99 promo price ends ($49.99 that I got after reading this thread).
I guess whatever he was going to offer was not as good as that because he never bothered telling me what it was and just said thank you for using rogers and that was that.

In the years I've been with them, they've never called me in advance before my internet pricing was set to go up to try and offer me another deal.

The number they called from was 855-760-4838 and it came up "ROGERS COMMUNICATIONS"
Ok what the heck.

So that happened last night and I posted about it.
Well today I logged into my account and this pop-up appeared. The price they are offering is $5 cheaper than I was offered on the phone a month ago! Going to see if by switching to this new price it'll ignore the new $49.99 price that is supposed to take place on March 21st.
Images
  • newrogersdeal.png
Mar 16, 2008
228 posts
106 upvotes
Arviat
03:59:22 PM [] Interested in Internet 500u my postal code is L4X XXX. What's the best deal?
03:59:40 PM [Arnie] Thank you for chatting in, this is Arnie. How is your day going?
03:59:55 PM [] Good Thanks!
04:00:03 PM [Arnie] hi xxxxxxxx we can help with internet. do you have any rogers services currently or would it be a new account if we set something up?
04:00:19 PM [] New account
04:00:36 PM [Arnie] ok great, welcome to rogers. id be happy to check deals. so postal code only doesnt give me much info unfortunately but if you wana give me the full address I can check for any promo codes listed on it for sure?
04:01:04 PM [] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
04:02:32 PM [Arnie] ok great looks good. and we wana make sure we find the right recommendation for you, may I ask some questions to help find an offer?
04:04:56 PM [] Just interested in the 500u. Is it available?
04:05:11 PM [Arnie] ok great. thanks xxxxxxxx. one moment ill list options below
04:06:36 PM [Arnie] IGNITE 500 UNLIMITED, modem included. no contract or commitment. ongoing regular cost of the package is $99.99 per month (this is a drop from the previous advertised cost of $127.99 per month, this will be reflected on the website soon). one time activation fee $19.95 first bill
04:07:31 PM [] I friend of mine got Ignite 500u for $28.24 inclusive of tax. Is that available for me?
04:08:16 PM [Arnie] that would be a targeted offer, its a promotion I am familiar with. it is for select homes and apartment buildings only, if the home is eligible it would give me a pop up alert on my system. unfortuanately your address does not qualify currently
04:08:33 PM [] OK thanks.
Sep 3, 2008
16 posts
5 upvotes
A bit late but contacted Rogers and got the deal! Thanks OP. Was on the $25 from last year that is due to expire in March. Managed to get the $35 deal but starting only when our $25 deal expires (though I am still going to keep an eye out to make sure they don't try to pull something here).
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16462 posts
22343 upvotes
ONTARIO
I called Rogers to verify that the $44.99 price I was just offered on the site was set up for next month and that it was overwriting the $49.99 price I accepted last month.

First rep sucked. She could not see any service changes aside from the $49.99 deal I accepted last month (to go live March 21st). She also claimed there was absolutely no $44.99 gigabit offer available and that you "can't make service changes like that to your account without talking to a rep. It's not possible". Her tone was obvious that she thought I was making sh*t up.

Apparently she has no idea how the entire system works.

Anyway, I hung up on her and called back to get someone else to verify. The second rep indeed saw the $45 service changes I made and that's set to go live on March 10th. She also still confirmed that the $49.99 service change was set up for March 21st still! Two work orders! It's a good thing I called, as I was able to get her to cancel the $49.99 work order.
Aug 4, 2010
96 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2019 7:27 pm
Yes. In condo, but speed was very inconsistent and sometimes slower than 50mbps VDSL in some large download test. Gave up and went with cheaper and consistent speed from virgin mobile.
I am also with the 500u plan at Markham but in a house. The speed is always lower than 90u. Even I connect the modem at the first entry point in the basement and use an ethernet cable connecting to my laptop, the speed is below 90u. If using wifi, sometimes it's below 10u. I complained to Rogers. The cable guy came and said it's due to the splitters. After he removed some splitters, he said it should be faster. However, after he left, I moved the modem to the first entry point again. The speed is still the same. Is this the normal speed? If I call Rogers again, can they improve the speed?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2519 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
yu203964 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 8:19 pm
I am also with the 500u plan at Markham but in a house. The speed is always lower than 90u. Even I connect the modem at the first entry point in the basement and use an ethernet cable connecting to my laptop, the speed is below 90u. If using wifi, sometimes it's below 10u. I complained to Rogers. The cable guy came and said it's due to the splitters. After he removed some splitters, he said it should be faster. However, after he left, I moved the modem to the first entry point again. The speed is still the same. Is this the normal speed? If I call Rogers again, can they improve the speed?
Had similar issues and explanations by Rogers speed never gets to 500u. Occasionally the 2.4ghz band drops internet needing a reboot of the modem
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3573 posts
576 upvotes
Mississauga
yu203964 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 8:19 pm
GSD wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 8:37 pm
Had similar issues and explanations by Rogers speed never gets to 500u. Occasionally the 2.4ghz band drops internet needing a reboot of the modem
Honestly, I think the 500u is just to match Bell's offering. Under ideal condition(minimal congestion), it can probably reach 500u in speedtest.
However, when I tried to download the same file from the same servers that is local with 1-4 gbps uplinks. I can never pull data anything close to that speed.
I find that, in condo and especially higher speed offering that DSL or FTTH are just more superior in consistency.

Maybe most of the people that are happy with 500u or 1000u and its consistency are on FTTH rather than FTTN?
Aug 4, 2010
96 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
wing0 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 10:50 pm
Honestly, I think the 500u is just to match Bell's offering. Under ideal condition(minimal congestion), it can probably reach 500u in speedtest.
However, when I tried to download the same file from the same servers that is local with 1-4 gbps uplinks. I can never pull data anything close to that speed.
I find that, in condo and especially higher speed offering that DSL or FTTH are just more superior in consistency.

Maybe most of the people that are happy with 500u or 1000u and its consistency are on FTTH rather than FTTN?
Thanks. May be my expectation is too high. I don't feel a big difference with my previous 75u service with Carrytel.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2011
1211 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Was with Rogers 500u, expire March 26 2019

First Online chat, offered giga unlimited free modem, $34 tax included. Richmond Hill.

Sold!
Images
  • Screenshot_20190208-220626__01.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3573 posts
576 upvotes
Mississauga
yu203964 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:03 pm
Thanks. May be my expectation is too high. I don't feel a big difference with my previous 75u service with Carrytel.
The overall inconsistency with the speed where it sometimes feel slower than 50mbps off DSL was really what made the decision.
Watching streaming videos and such, the seeking speed and the time it takes to load videos all swayed in favour of DSL in my case.
Decided to save $5 a month with VM in the end.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
2519 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
yellowmp5 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:06 pm
Was with Rogers 500u, expire March 26 2019

First Online chat, offered giga unlimited free modem, $34 tax included. Richmond Hill.

Sold!
My plan expires March 30, may try the live chat too.
Feb 7, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
got it 33.89 including tax for gigabat
Images
  • 6B437202-76DA-4DF9-9E87-7370183BAE26.png
Oct 26, 2016
251 posts
279 upvotes
Just called and renewed my 500u for another year at 33.89 tax in per month. They offered gigabit for 39.55 but like someone else mentioned here, I always see 600 down on wire... The speed is blazing fast as it is so no need for gigabit
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3530 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
I called yesterday. I am on the 500u for $25 plus tax. Expires March. Told them. I wanted it extend or I would have to cancel. She came back immediately with an offer of $30 plus tax for 1Gb. Asked what if I just wanted to stay at 500? Said she could give me the same deal, $25. Had her extend it for one more year. Was actually painless.