None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1539 posts
521 upvotes
ON

Rogue, Juke, CUVs, turbo...

Questions for the car buffs here. I'm starting to look for a vehicle, single and don't have much needs (gadgets don't mean much to me) but something comfortable. A car would do the job, but I think something a little higher/utility would be nicer like a small SUV/CUV, for visibility, snow, etc. Quiet is important to me. Looking at new or newish (1-2 years).

I've tried the HRV but didn't like it, noisy and seems overrated. CRV wasn't as bad but still somewhat. I tried the Trax and Encore, and while particularly the Encore was nice, I'm not sure about GM. The Encore brand new is a little high is price so would be looking at a slightly used one of it.

I want to try the Nissan Rogue since I've seen good about it, but also see there's the Juke for a fair bit less. How do they compare?

I notice the Juke is turbo and mention premium fuel - what's the deal with turbos, do they require premium to function properly or would it just have less power with regular or something? How does fuel economy work out with a turbo (i.e. Juke vs Rogue), particularly if you aren't pushing it hard? I drive pretty light (don't do much merging on highways and such) so wouldn't be making much use of the turbo part.

I'm also thinking of trying Mazda (CX-3/5), any others I should be considering? I'm likely going to try the email route for negotiation and do it at my own pace and willing to go to GTA or somewhere if the deal warrants.
28 replies
Aug 23, 2006
345 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
When I was looking for a replacement CUV (still doing it actually, just holding out for some news on my current vehicle, since it is in the garage):

1. The Rogue is a great value, but I found it noisy and not dampened enough ride (so I feel the bumps a lot). Not for me, but I recommended it to my Gf's parents a few months ago, they got one and love it.
2. A friend has the Juke and got it because of the price; however she regrets it due to premium fuel needs and the fact that mileage isn't good (I do not have personal experience).
3. I found the CX-3 much too small to even call it "utility". The CX-5 I liked immensely however, and almost purchased at the time (sales tactics put me off, even after they gave me invoice; now just waiting on some updates on my current car).

I tried the new Hyundai Tuscon and really liked it. The 4 cylinder is decent, and it comes decently equipped at the price point. Comparable to the Rogue, but better cabin quietness and a slightly better ride (imho). Still lot of plastics used inside though (like the Rogue, but that is expected at this price point). I like the look as well. Can't say much for Hyundai quality (since I've never owned one, and this was the first Hyundai I have ever driven), but it did surpass my initial expectations. Be warned that RFD tends to really not like the Korean vehicles.

- Also, lots of RFDers pointed out the Murano to me. It is a much larger car, but that V6 is delightful. Base trim is also quite well loaded. I am honestly tempted between the CX-5 and Murano myself (didn't do the Tuscon since the plastic interior put me off, and my family is very negatively biased against Hyundai's). The Murano obviously costs more though. Murano has quite a dampened ride, so great for long road trips with passengers. CX-5 felt fun to drive.

Goodluck!
-Dan.
I'm cute and cuddly.

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=52391
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16895 posts
7188 upvotes
The Juke is much, much smaller than the Rogue. I park next to one at work and my Rogue looks much bigger.

Regardless of what vehicle you buy, you should follow the manufacturer's directions. If they call for premium, use premium. Do not buy a vehicle and think you know better than the company that spent hundreds of millions of dollars engineering the vehicle you are buying.

My personal opinion is that Nissan has horrible quality. I cannot count the number the quality-related issues with my 2011 Rogue (was made in Japan too). Nothing has ever left me stranded, but I have had several thousand dollars of warranty work performed on the vehicle while under warranty. I would look elsewhere - they are popular, but one of the big reasons they are popular is their price point.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3397 posts
2200 upvotes
Montreal
Turbo needs higher grade fuel because they are less flammable (comparatively), so less likely to self-detonate due to the higher pressure/temperature of turbo. Modern engines can detect this and change ignition timing to compensate if you use a lower grade fuel, but you lose power and gas mileage, which can be great enough it actually cost more to run on 87 than proper 91.

These small cars all have small turbos that will reach full boost around 2000 RPM, if you have a light foot and stay out of boost range they can be very fuel efficient, and anemic (why are you paying the premium for a turbo to begin with?).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16895 posts
7188 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: (why are you paying the premium for a turbo to begin with?).
The Juke only comes in turbo charged form - it's a 1.6L engine so it would be pretty gutless without a turbo.

The Versa's 1.6L engine is the same block and comes with almost 110HP.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3814 posts
971 upvotes
GTA
If looking at the Juke I'd also have a strong look at the KIA Soul. Not a turbo, but has more utility than an HR-V, is upright, etc. I'm not a fan of domestic vehicles, but what about the TRAX by Chevy?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
Did you consider Subaru Crosstrek
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3397 posts
2200 upvotes
Montreal
TrevorK wrote: The Juke only comes in turbo charged form - it's a 1.6L engine so it would be pretty gutless without a turbo.

The Versa's 1.6L engine is the same block and comes with almost 110HP.
Wouldn't say it's gutless, but adequate for the size. My first car was a midsize and had 115 HP.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
iownyou wrote: Nah... too soccer mom
Crosstrek? Not really, maybe Forester and Outback
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27492 posts
3972 upvotes
Montreal
A turbo can be specced to run on 87 or 91 octane, as configured by the manufacturer. The spec is clearly stated in the manual. We have a Cruze 1.4T that clearly recommends 87 octane, and no mention of 91 is made anywhere in the manual. As such, we use 87.

I have an S60 3L turbo, which can take both 87 and 91. The manual clearly states that it will run best on 91, but will accept 87 with NO long term damage. I use 87 in winter and 91 in spring and summer.

Some turbos MUST use 91 or even 93, and you risk engine damage with 87. Check the manual.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14482 posts
8697 upvotes
Toronto
CX3 or new Hyundai Tucson
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2494 posts
483 upvotes
Why are manufacturers putting turbo on these small cars nowadays? I guess , earlier turbo used to be applicable for race cars or atleast for high performance cars only. Am I correct?
So whats up with turbo nowadays....
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35742 posts
21845 upvotes
Center of Universe
sprdave wrote: Questions for the car buffs here. I'm starting to look for a vehicle, single and don't have much needs (gadgets don't mean much to me) but something comfortable. A car would do the job, but I think something a little higher/utility would be nicer like a small SUV/CUV, for visibility, snow, etc. Quiet is important to me. Looking at new or newish (1-2 years).

I've tried the HRV but didn't like it, noisy and seems overrated. CRV wasn't as bad but still somewhat. I tried the Trax and Encore, and while particularly the Encore was nice, I'm not sure about GM. The Encore brand new is a little high is price so would be looking at a slightly used one of it.

I want to try the Nissan Rogue since I've seen good about it, but also see there's the Juke for a fair bit less. How do they compare?

I notice the Juke is turbo and mention premium fuel - what's the deal with turbos, do they require premium to function properly or would it just have less power with regular or something? How does fuel economy work out with a turbo (i.e. Juke vs Rogue), particularly if you aren't pushing it hard? I drive pretty light (don't do much merging on highways and such) so wouldn't be making much use of the turbo part.

I'm also thinking of trying Mazda (CX-3/5), any others I should be considering? I'm likely going to try the email route for negotiation and do it at my own pace and willing to go to GTA or somewhere if the deal warrants.
If premium is required, then you must use it; otherwise regular will be fine.
Keep in mind that the rated hp/tq for tubo vehicles are generally based on 91 octane or higher (at least with my tubo vehcile).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6862 posts
2830 upvotes
Montreal
Im an owner of a new Tucson for 1.5 weeks now, and it is indeed a great ride. My father actually bought one as well, after being with Toyotas for the past 30 years lol

We also took a look at the new Sportage 2017, and it is another option you should consider. Much better than the previous generation. http://www.thecarconnection.com/overvie ... rtage_2017
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27492 posts
3972 upvotes
Montreal
Asker123 wrote: Why are manufacturers putting turbo on these small cars nowadays? I guess , earlier turbo used to be applicable for race cars or at least for high performance cars only. Am I correct?
Turbos do better at hitting EPA fuel economy targets, where vehicles are tested under gentle acceleration at partial throttle. Blame CAFE.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16895 posts
7188 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: Why are manufacturers putting turbo on these small cars nowadays? I guess , earlier turbo used to be applicable for race cars or atleast for high performance cars only. Am I correct?
Turbo chargers allow the manufacturer to install a smaller engine, thus increasing their fuel economy numbers. The fuel economy of a turbo charged car can vary greatly based on the driver, so in an ideal setting you can still obtain great mileage compared to putting in a bigger engine (to make the same peak horsepower).

I would assume CAFE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate ... el_Economy) is a big driver behind this sort of thing.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2494 posts
483 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Turbo chargers allow the manufacturer to install a smaller engine, thus increasing their fuel economy numbers. The fuel economy of a turbo charged car can vary greatly based on the driver, so in an ideal setting you can still obtain great mileage compared to putting in a bigger engine (to make the same peak horsepower).

I would assume CAFE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate ... el_Economy) is a big driver behind this sort of thing.
What about performance? With these small engines fitted with Turbo , is the driving experince and car's overall performace will be the same in comparision with their non turbo counterparts? Who are the people who will be sticking to non-turbo? or anything non-turbo will be out of the market sooner or later?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27492 posts
3972 upvotes
Montreal
Asker123 wrote: What about performance? With these small engines fitted with Turbo , is the driving experince and car's overall performace will be the same in comparision with their non turbo counterparts? Who are the people who will be sticking to non-turbo? or anything non-turbo will be out of the market sooner or later?
Cars with turbo feel like they are faster, though in most cases, they are actually slower.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16895 posts
7188 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: What about performance? With these small engines fitted with Turbo , is the driving experince and car's overall performace will be the same in comparision with their non turbo counterparts? Who are the people who will be sticking to non-turbo? or anything non-turbo will be out of the market sooner or later?
A turbo charged car can achieve performance numbers that are comparable to a vehicle with a larger engine.

A turbo charged car will generally have parts in the engine of higher quality (and higher price), as well as having parts that are expensive (turbo charger itself, intercooler, etc.) that a non-turbo charged car will not have.