• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2014 10:09 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2010
141 posts
9 upvotes

Roll Up the Rim "Bonus roll".... scam?

Sorry if this is not in the right forum or if it violates any rules but.... am I the only one who has had about 5 coffees and none of them won (that's 10 rolls)?? Does anyone else think that maybe Tim Hortons is reducing the amount of wins to compensate for this so-called "extra roll"? Last year I won much more often, and there was only one roll per cup.
Just one more thing... :)
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
hey there, sexy.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Mar 29, 2011
825 posts
68 upvotes
CIS wrote: Sorry if this is not in the right forum or if it violates any rules but.... am I the only one who has had about 5 coffees and none of them won (that's 10 rolls)?? Does anyone else think that maybe Tim Hortons is reducing the amount of wins to compensate for this so-called "extra roll"? Last year I won much more often, and there was only one roll per cup.
Do you know anything about probability? It isn't a "scam". Tim Horton's doesn't owe you anything.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3726 posts
432 upvotes
In April 2012, there were 285,854,400 prizes.
This time, there are 282,694,360 prizes.
Its a immaterial 1.1% difference.

April 29, 2012 rules: http://web.archive.org/web/201202270553 ... UTR_EN.pdf
The 2014 rules: http://www.rolluptherimtowin.com/en/in- ... mption.php

I believe the blue bonus roll is only a roll for 10 extra Corollas. The odds of winning the most winnable prize (coffee or donut) is 1 in 6 cups, so if you're winning a prize every 6 cups then you're at the expected amount of wins; any more or less wins would be attributable to randomness as not everyone is going to win exactly every 6 tries.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Shimso wrote: In April 2012, there were 285,854,400 prizes.
This time, there are 282,694,360 prizes.
Its a immaterial 1.1% difference.

April 29, 2012 rules: http://web.archive.org/web/201202270553 ... UTR_EN.pdf
The 2014 rules: http://www.rolluptherimtowin.com/en/in- ... mption.php

I believe the blue bonus roll is only a roll for 10 extra Corollas. The odds of winning the most winnable prize (coffee or donut) is 1 in 6 cups, so if you're winning a prize every 6 cups then you're at the expected amount of wins; any more or less wins would be attributable to randomness as not everyone is going to win exactly every 6 tries.
This.

The extra roll is just to win 1 of 10 Corollas... or more accurately, you win a "chance to win" as they have more winning cups for the car than actual cars. It's to help give away all 50 of the cars they are offering as some of the winning cups for the cars will never be claimed. Making a bonus role is just a marketing gimmick. They obviously wanted to give away 50 cars to match their 50th anniversary. Anyways, that's going a bit of a tangent.

Anyways, OP's sample size of 5 is too small to come to the conclusion that this whole contest is a big scam. If you win on your next cup then you hit the average.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1398 posts
181 upvotes
Western Montreal
joeyjoejoe wrote: This.

The extra roll is just to win 1 of 10 Corollas... or more accurately, you win a "chance to win" as they have more winning cups for the car than actual cars. It's to help give away all 50 of the cars they are offering as some of the winning cups for the cars will never be claimed. Making a bonus role is just a marketing gimmick. They obviously wanted to give away 50 cars to match their 50th anniversary. Anyways, that's going a bit of a tangent.

Anyways, OP's sample size of 5 is too small to come to the conclusion that this whole contest is a big scam. If you win on your next cup then you hit the average.
Absolutely... out of about 12 cups so far, won a donut and a latte so right on average. Anyone actually won anything on the daily online version?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
millow wrote: Do you know anything about probability? It isn't a "scam". Tim Horton's doesn't owe you anything.
Tim Hortons owes no individual anything, but they do owe their customers pure honesty, which they have delivered, as mentioned above.
The whole 1.1 percent thing...
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
tiggrrrrr75 wrote: Absolutely... out of about 12 cups so far, won a donut and a latte so right on average. Anyone actually won anything on the daily online version?
In past years when I tracked it, sometimes I was above the average sometimes below... and one terrible year when I went 0 for 30+. The only odd trend for me in the past few years is: if I win, I only win coffees. I don't go nearly as often last year or this year, but if I do win anything, it's coffee. I posted this pic I think 3-4 years ago:

[IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4053/444 ... 6f2f15.jpg[/IMG]

This year so far: 3 cups, 2 wins and both coffee.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
I've been pretty average so far. Some years I'll win more, some years I'll win less. The extra roll isn't for winning all the small items like coffee and muffin, so you'll likely never win on your second roll. it's technically incorrect to incorporate the second roll into your statistics..
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Win some, lose some.
Laws of average.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
alkizmo wrote: Win some, lose some.
Laws of average.
Yup. Also, the rules always favour the house. Remember that.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21165 upvotes
Toronto
i am 0 for thus far. Last time I recalled getting just 2 for ...

The big prize (Corollas) probably distributed the same way in the past which Timmy already know the exact province they are in.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
0 for 13 so far and, i am pissed off.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3726 posts
432 upvotes
booblehead wrote: i am 0 for thus far. Last time I recalled getting just 2 for ...

The big prize (Corollas) probably distributed the same way in the past which Timmy already know the exact province they are in.

Their terms and conditions lists how many prizes each of the 6 regions gets. 25 of the 50 Corollas will be won in Ontario and just under half of all prizes will be won in Ontario.

Annnnd I'm 0-9 so far.
Sep 15, 2013
832 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
3 free coffees and 2 donuts for me. About 25 ish coffees so far.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1107 posts
62 upvotes
Bolton, ON
3 for 4 on medium, all for free coffee.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
BradT wrote: 3 for 4 on medium, all for free coffee.
I wonder if the medium is a less popular size? My daughter always buys medium and has won about 50% of the time, mostly coffees but a couple donuts too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)