Black Earth- 25L bag $0.89

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2016 8:42 pm
Tags:
44 replies
Jan 15, 2008
188 posts
96 upvotes
Thanks OP. Same 25L bag at $0.77 at Reno-Depot for Quebec RFDealers. No limit specified.

Chascon
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
Rona Quebec also have them for 77c with 10 bags limit, going to grab them today
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11594 posts
2581 upvotes
Montreal
CarsonKT wrote: Rona Quebec also have them for 77c with 10 bags limit, going to grab them today
better go before 4pm, this is the long weekend coming up and that's the big big weekend for yard work.
Nov 24, 2014
368 posts
412 upvotes
Windsor, ON
So, what do you do with this dirt? Mix it into your garden before planting plants/vegetables?

Can you use this as top dressing for lawn?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3099 posts
12756 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
taranducal wrote: So, what do you do with this dirt? Mix it into your garden before planting plants/vegetables?

don`t every use this type of soil on your lawn, it`s full of ***** . the weed gonna be all over.

I don`t see the need of this top soil not even for gardening. i got a truck of gardening soil which i used part of it for my lawn and the rest for gardening.

I paid 32$ for each yard (which is equal to 27 bag) and no hassle.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5161 posts
1930 upvotes
Some stores don't have a limit. (ymmv) I'm sure most probably do, but Kingston store doesn't. Buy as much as you like until it's all gone. Dont wait any later then sat. It will fly out of there no matter what store u go to.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7162 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
Is this ok for re-seeding grass / patching lawn?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1977 posts
833 upvotes
Elgin, ON
taranducal wrote: So, what do you do with this dirt? Mix it into your garden before planting plants/vegetables?

The general consensus seems to be that this "black earth" is not ideal for growing anything. But, it can be used to give soil a darker colour.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7162 posts
3494 upvotes
Montreal
rkjredflag wrote: The general consensus seems to be that this "black earth" is not ideal for growing anything. But, it can be used to give soil a darker colour.
ok got my answer, thanks lol
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
Last year I roundup my backyard and
got about 30 bags from RONA,
about 20 bags from Walmart,
10 bags from HD,
all the dirty cheap ones (it turns out Walmart $1/bag was the most expensive one I bought)
they turn out just fine, I think I did pull out some weed once.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1977 posts
833 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Madevilz wrote: would this good for grass seeding?
http://www.renodepot.com/en/25-l-garden-soil-78465001
I successfully used Home Depot's $1 "Garden Soil" to grow grass seed, so I'd expect that stuff to work ok as well. I suggest mixing it with a small amount of starter (high-high-low) fertilizer for best results.

Some RFDers prefer the soils that claim to be "weed free," but that claim comes at a cost.
Nov 27, 2011
454 posts
182 upvotes
NEPEAN
We just got a small 9 inch stone wall added to our lawn, a little more than a half cubic yard. I was hoping to fill it with Pro-mix from Lowes and some mushroom compost but some people say because the pro-mix is soiless it might not be the best option for completely filling the raised bed. Should I add in some of these black earth bags as well?

Link to Pro-mix:
https://www.lowes.ca/bagged-soil/pro-mi ... rm=pro-mix
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1977 posts
833 upvotes
Elgin, ON
bleysX wrote: We just got a small 9 inch stone wall added to our lawn, a little more than a half cubic yard. I was hoping to fill it with Pro-mix from Lowes and some mushroom compost but some people say because the pro-mix is soiless it might not be the best option for completely filling the raised bed. Should I add in some of these black earth bags as well?

Link to Pro-mix:
https://www.lowes.ca/bagged-soil/pro-mi ... rm=pro-mix
Black earth would give you some volume, at a low price, that's a good thing. So, you could use it at the bottom of your bed. But, it will not do much to support growth.
Nov 27, 2011
454 posts
182 upvotes
NEPEAN
rkjredflag wrote: Black earth would give you some volume, at a low price, that's a good thing. So, you could use it at the bottom of your bed. But, it will not do much to support growth.
So would you say filling the first half with this and the second half with pro-mix and compost would be a good idea?

I could also just fill the whole thing with pro-mix and compost, I'm not too concerned about the cost as there isn't very much needed.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1977 posts
833 upvotes
Elgin, ON
bleysX wrote: So would you say filling the first half with this and the second half with pro-mix and compost would be a good idea?

I could also just fill the whole thing with pro-mix and compost, I'm not too concerned about the cost as there isn't very much needed.
I'm not too sure about the Pro-Mix. I've never used it myself. Personally, after using a few bags of anything cheap for filler (black earth would be fine) I'd probably go for a "triple mix" of top soil, compost and peat moss.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8946 posts
1503 upvotes
TO
If this filler cheap stuff isn't great, that does people recommend buying from HD/Rona?
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3197 posts
1832 upvotes
Mississauga
TorontoEh wrote: If this filler cheap stuff isn't great, that does people recommend buying from HD/Rona?
Uh, what?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)