Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Rona

Black Earth - Organic - 25 L (88¢/bag)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2019 1:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes

[Rona] Black Earth - Organic - 25 L (88¢/bag)

The sale is back again. This time the price is a little better but they don't put it any lower than this. Starting tomorrow (THURSDAY, MAY 16) until WEDNESDAY MAY 22
88¢/bag (reg $1.49)

LIMIT OF 10 BAGS PER CUSTOMER
(Alot of times they don't enforce that rule, but YMMV)

Your text to link here...
86 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1236 posts
1688 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Are these good for growing grass?
Sorry I'm a nubbb and trying to fix my lawn this year -_-
Mar 6, 2014
329 posts
215 upvotes
wartune123 wrote: Are these good for growing grass?
good for anything, especially for grass, lawn.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4669 posts
752 upvotes
Scarborough
wartune123 wrote: Are these good for growing grass?
Would like to know too, in laws are away for the weekend so I can finally take over the lawn Face With Tears Of Joy
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
Great for growing grass.
I'm sure you could use something better at a much higher price if you wanted but for this price its a no brainer.
Ive never used it for growing grass myself but my neighbor has and he said its the best one he's ever used.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18701 posts
5733 upvotes
Pic tells everything
Images
  • 8D02857C-3C71-4421-8FE2-7A858998B7F5.jpeg
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
3072 posts
4255 upvotes
Winnipeg
kiasu wrote: Pic tells everything
Looks great! Very new to gardening here, which grass seed do you recommend? TIA
I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
2627 posts
1427 upvotes
burlington, on
Thanks OP. I will grab 20 bags. Are too heavy to drive for few km in my toyota matrix?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2057 posts
479 upvotes
Burlington
cayolargo wrote: Thanks OP. I will grab 20 bags. Are too heavy to drive for few km in my toyota matrix?
I have a vibe...let me know if 20 bags was too many so I can do it in 10 bag loads! ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1457 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
cayolargo wrote: Thanks OP. I will grab 20 bags. Are too heavy to drive for few km in my toyota matrix?
Should be fine...make sure to leave the doors open while you're driving to provide proper soil ventilation
JS
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2001
1418 posts
940 upvotes
Vancouver
Out west (Vancouver) the flyer shows $1.99 with limit 10 bags and participating stores only!

Even the dirt costs more than double out here...
Last edited by AEmgee on May 15th, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 23, 2017
583 posts
526 upvotes
Canada
So i have a question. our lawn was so bad (we moved in our new place last year) that we hired someone to put a new sod. they did it on monday. Now they asked me to water the lawn 3 hours a day with oscillating sprinkler during first week and on alternate days during second week. Is it too much? should I water 2 hours? I have heard that overwatering is as bad as under watering new SOD. I am in cambridge BTW and its bluegrass. Weather has been early to mid teens with sun on and off. Also few patches have a little space appeared in between( like 1/2" to 3/4" space). should I fill them with this soil and grass will grow on top of it? Or should I leave it and it will take care of itself?
Apr 7, 2014
186 posts
122 upvotes
Kirkland, QC
It will be 0.77 in Quebec
Mar 9, 2014
39 posts
16 upvotes
ottawa
I put 30 bags with my RAv4, a guy beside me put 20 in his Civic. I'd suggest balance the weights
May 26, 2016
21 posts
11 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
AEmgee wrote: Out west (Vancouver) the flyer shows $1.99 with limit 10 bags and participating stores only!

Even the dirt costs more than double out here...
$1.99 for Winnipeggers (MB) Confused Face
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
What is the difference between Black Earth and Gardening Soil?
I always thought gardening soil was better for my lawn, good to know.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
Can you explain what you did exactly
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2877 posts
2840 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you have a before and after (when you patched it) pics?
Did you cover the whole thing with back earth or just patched the holes?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2017
1119 posts
847 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Madevilz wrote: What is the difference between Black Earth and Gardening Soil?
I always thought gardening soil was better for my lawn, good to know.
I bought this for my lawn for reseed.

they are stuck together, you have to break them ( not a big issue)
there are some wood shaving (copeaux de bois). I left them for now
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
4080 posts
7025 upvotes
GTA North
Anyone know if you can price match from the regular price from mother day? Bought 6 bags the day before mothers day to do the lawn patching and paid full price then ($1.49) and would like to know if I can get the price difference back?

If I can I plan on using that towards being more soil to patch up the backyard as I just finished the front yard yesterday.

Also for anyone looking for some veggie seedlings FoodyMart (Warden/Steeles) has them at $1.99 a piece (IIRC 4cells per unit or 4 plants)

T&T (warden/Steeles) has veggie plant seedlings for less then $3 for two when I noticed the sign a day ago. Did not check how many you get per tray.

For those planning on growing some edibles yourself you can grow in 5gal containers or in ground.

Here are some plants that are easy to grow from seed or seedlings or what you already have at home or free (ask a neighbour) and some you can clone so easy a baby can do it. Get some seed trays from dollarama.

-Green beans from seed. Germinates in about 3-4 days. If growing from seed at this time of year you can grow directly in the ground or start it (I had good success with peat pellets indoors) indoors with peat pellets. One seed per peat pellet. Being as the roots and seedling is all in the peat pellet the roots are not disturbed when transplanting.

-Tomato plants. You don't need to buy a lot of tomato plants. Getting two is good enough. They are easy to clone. When you plant is about 1-1.5ft tall or taller you can cut off some of the branching out stalks. You want at least a 5" stalk. Put in a jar of water. Change water once a day. Roots in 5-7days and ready to plant. Take eggs and crush finely or grind it to a powder and mix into the soil to provide it with more calcium. When in the fruit producing stage make sure the soil is always moist and not dry.

-Basil is an easy plant to grow and clones just like the tomato plant. As the plant gets old it will get woody. By cloning you can multiply you plant if you use that herb a lot.

-Green onions are easy to grow. If you buy them in the store save the last two inches per green onion and put in about 1cm of water. Change water everyday (or two). If your green onions have short roots (like the store did not shave them to have barely any roots) then you can plant them in moist about 1.5-2.0inches deep and the roots will keep growing and shoot up mor green onions and give you an onion bulb to use for cooking later. As mentioned before you can ask a neighbour for some then grow

-Raspberries. Mine are in clay soil and survived decades and -42C. They can also be grown in a 5gal bucket. Ask around. Anyone with Raspberries will have new shoots coming up around late May to June. This plant is a perannual and you can get a few at end of ear sales and it is hardy (maybe my variety which I don't know which it is) as I experimented with 1gal plastic planter pots 75% half filled with soil and let on the patio. Sure enough next year they came back alive. So with that said you can buy nursey stock at end of season sale, get a 5gal bucket, plant it in the bucket, and keep it outside for next year.

-Oregano. I thought this plant was a goner this year as last year I bought one and planted it and it grew like crazy but died off in the winter. Come spring I see the dead plant thinking it was totally gone and can see some green plant in middle of the plant. Seeing as I have some random weeds around I thoguht it was just a weed. As I was pulling the dead plant out I decided to pluck some of the plant to nibble to see. It had a very faint hint of oregano so I guess the flavors and oils have not fully developed yet till the plant gets bigger. Being a perannual buy once.

-Rosemary. This plant is a perannual and good for roasting potato or meats and such. You can cut off the stems and dry the herb for later use or take the stem cuttings and use perlite and a covered dome in a warm place to clone it. Never cloned rosemary before. But then again mine never did recover from winter dispite growing 10x the tiny plant size.

-Chives. Perannual. Easy to grow. Just divide the plant in the spring time to clone it. IIRC it is said that chives can over take a place so sticking plastic container into the ground helps contain them.

-Mint. Perannual. Easy to grow. Notorious for spreading. Keep it in container buried in the ground or you might end up like me having a nice lemon balm/mint on the side of the house when I'm mowing the lawn.

-Zucchini are fast producers. Harvest when young. You can buy smaller varieties seeds that work well in a 5gal bucket. Don't over plant too many as you will end up with more zucchini then you will know what to do with it unless you like it. I've heard lots of stories of people gifting thier surplus, making zuke noodles, zuke bread, grilled or tempura zukes, or night missions leaving them in peoples door steps.

-Sweetleaf (Stevia). Easy to grow and a teaspoon of the leaves are IIRC 10x the sweetness of sugar.

A note on the tomato. If buying from seed it will say DETERMINATE and INDETERMINATE. The difference is the determinate one will grow to an approx height and kinda stop growing bigger. Indeterminate will keep growing like a vine that you can tie on a string or trellis to train it. If growing in a container pick a determinate variety or if you don't know Google up the plant name if buying a seedling or if you don't know then figure out your max height and just keep chopping off any stalks that grow higher.

A tip to keep the tomato cages or the plant cages from falling over if growing in a bucket is to zip tie a few of the cages together so less likely to get blown over (that and keeping it moist all the time for a heavy base.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)