[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1728 posts
307 upvotes
Barrie

[Rona] Craftsman 2200i portable gas inverter generator YMMV clearance $449

Limited stock it seems, and not all stores are selling for $449

Seems like a decent deal for the specs, obviously not quite as good as the Honda EU2200i but significantly cheaper.

Clearance price at Lowes is $599.

Appears to be a Generac generator.
Last edited by tylerc on Aug 2nd, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amex Business Platinum, Personal Platinum, Bonvoy, Aeroplan
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6022 posts
6256 upvotes
Toronto
Picked one up, small, compact, enough to meet me needs (run furnace or fridge/freezer.)

Looked at the Firman that are on clearance as well, and decided to go for something smaller and less runtime but easier to store and haul around.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1728 posts
307 upvotes
Barrie
hoob wrote: Picked one up, small, compact, enough to meet me needs (run furnace or fridge/freezer.)

Looked at the Firman that are on clearance as well, and decided to go for something smaller and less runtime but easier to store and haul around.
I've been thinking about how to run the furnace with this. I see you can buy transfer switches for individual outlets or circuits and hardwire at the panel - what are you planning to do?

I bought this with boating in mind (no boat right now, but wish I had something like this for my last boat and will be handy when I buy another). Will be good to have around the house as a backup as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1728 posts
307 upvotes
Barrie
engineered wrote: Link dead?
Still works for me...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17185 posts
19078 upvotes
Oakville
tylerc wrote: Still works for me...
Yea, working now for me. First time it showed 404 on rona site.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21119 posts
2887 upvotes
Out west
hoob wrote: Picked one up, small, compact, enough to meet me needs (run furnace or fridge/freezer.)

How long is the extension cord you will be using?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6022 posts
6256 upvotes
Toronto
tylerc wrote: I've been thinking about how to run the furnace with this. I see you can buy transfer switches for individual outlets or circuits and hardwire at the panel - what are you planning to do?

I bought this with boating in mind (no boat right now, but wish I had something like this for my last boat and will be handy when I buy another). Will be good to have around the house as a backup as well.
I rewired my furnace (which by code is supposed to be switched hardwired) so that it is plugged into a switched receptacle. To run the furnace I would just run an extension cord to outside. Given my layout that would be about a 12' cord, not long at all.

I will add some sort of passthrough in my basement wall (next to white piping) to run a heavy duty extension cord into my basement. Then I might do something similar with my fridge circuit to make it easy to plug it into an extension cord.

Other important circuits -- freezer and datacom, are already in the basement so I can snake extension cords in a pinch.

ie for now I just want it literally to be workable in case of emergency. And I will keep my eyes open for decent Generac transfer panel or something something, and get that in place if needed.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2297 posts
2375 upvotes
Thanks OP.
Good price.
But please add "inverter" in the title; that is the most important (and expensive) feature of this generator, and you left it out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1728 posts
307 upvotes
Barrie
ahoroba wrote: Thanks OP.
Good price.
But please add "inverter" in the title; that is the most important (and expensive) feature of this generator, and you left it out.
Done, thanks!
Dec 28, 2011
964 posts
610 upvotes
Keep in mind they are being phased out for the newer models with fancy meters and little more capacity

Still at the price they are worth it

Silent, consitent power no matter the load

Inverters cost more compared to open chassis ones but they will not destroy what you plug in it. If you need more power occasionnally you can consider getting 2 and running them in parellel. Youcan get 2 for less than the price of a honda.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6022 posts
6256 upvotes
Toronto
ultimatum wrote: Inverters cost more compared to open chassis ones but they will not destroy what you plug in it. If you need more power occasionnally you can consider getting 2 and running them in parellel. Youcan get 2 for less than the price of a honda.
I bought two just so I can keep one in storage and sell the extra one for profit next ice storm :D.

Actually I ordered from two different stores for ISPU, knowing the problem with phantom stock, but it turns out both were fulfilled. Haven't picked up the second one yet, I might cancel, or just get it as a #2 unit or see if my local friends want it.

Also ordered two 20L red jugs, and some stabilizer. Will have to get my calendar routine in to stabilize up to 12 mo and cycle the old fuel through my truck every summer. (TruFuel looks nice, but super pricey... $8/L.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1728 posts
307 upvotes
Barrie
hoob wrote: I bought two just so I can keep one in storage and sell the extra one for profit next ice storm :D.

Actually I ordered from two different stores for ISPU, knowing the problem with phantom stock, but it turns out both were fulfilled. Haven't picked up the second one yet, I might cancel, or just get it as a #2 unit or see if my local friends want it.

Also ordered two 20L red jugs, and some stabilizer. Will have to get my calendar routine in to stabilize up to 12 mo and cycle the old fuel through my truck every summer. (TruFuel looks nice, but super pricey... $8/L.)
What's the benefit of truefuel vs premium gas + stabilizer?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6022 posts
6256 upvotes
Toronto
tylerc wrote: What's the benefit of truefuel vs premium gas + stabilizer?
I'd never heard of it today, but it seems to be: 5-year shelf life in the can (2 years once in the engine), guaranteed ethanol-free, lacking a lot of the fuel additives that small engines don't need (?!?), and special anti-corrosion and lubricant additives designed for engines that stay idle seasonally.

Seems intended for things that run very occasionally and low fuel usage, to reduce hassle to the point the extra price doesn't matter.. Like snowblowers and chainsaws.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1728 posts
307 upvotes
Barrie
hoob wrote: I'd never heard of it today, but it seems to be: 5-year shelf life in the can (2 years once in the engine), guaranteed ethanol-free, lacking a lot of the fuel additives that small engines don't need (?!?), and special anti-corrosion and lubricant additives designed for engines that stay idle seasonally.

Seems intended for things that run very occasionally and low fuel usage, to reduce hassle to the point the extra price doesn't matter.. Like snowblowers and chainsaws.
Interesting...probably worth it if the intention is just to keep generator as emergency backup and not use frequently.
Feb 11, 2007
595 posts
1167 upvotes
Delta
Hey guys I picked up this generator last year, have used it on a couple camping trips with my trailer including last weekend. It's loud, even on econ with no load on it. Some people say the Honda will run 13.5k ac units, this one won't. Put a load on this and it gets quite loud. I really limited my use on the weekend because I'm sure neighbors could hear me.

However it's a great price. FYI this is a rebranded generac generator
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2008
1728 posts
307 upvotes
Barrie
WickedXJ wrote: Hey guys I picked up this generator last year, have used it on a couple camping trips with my trailer including last weekend. It's loud, even on econ with no load on it. Some people say the Honda will run 13.5k ac units, this one won't. Put a load on this and it gets quite loud. I really limited my use on the weekend because I'm sure neighbors could hear me.

However it's a great price. FYI this is a rebranded generac generator
Thanks for the feedback. They list it as 52db and Honda claims to be 48db...even at 52db it shouldn't be that loud.