Be the change you want to see.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3898 posts
5042 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
Hey, welcome to RFD!

Amazon currently has this tool at the same price, but it's been down to $175 on Dec 2, so I don't think this is a great price.
There are also a lot of other choices available on a biscuit joiner, and I'm not sure why the DeWalt deserves a premium price, thoughts?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4262 posts
1501 upvotes
WFH
raskal wrote: ...and I'm not sure why the DeWalt deserves a premium price, thoughts?
it's yellow?

Mine is red and cost me about $100. Its done everything I've asked of it.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3528 posts
1597 upvotes
'Shwallywood
WAY too expensive.

I paid $129 for my Makita, It's $197 now at HD

Honestly, Freud, Ryobi, Porter-Cable, they're all good biscuit joiners so paying extra for the yellow is dumb
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9286 posts
1492 upvotes
Yeah if in no rush amazon has sales on them here and there, also keep an eye out for lowes as they are clearing out porter-cable items to make way for craftsman. I got my porter-cable biscuit joiner for $110 if i recall. Also the lucky few got a porter cable jointer for $200 (clearance) regular $450-500.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Feb 7, 2007
223 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
You pay a premium for the DeWalt because it has more power than the other joiners mentioned, allowing you to cut into the densest wood. It's also one of the most accurate around for the money.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7921 posts
1820 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Isn't there a YouTube video saying biscuit joiner not good? Isn't pocket hole better?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jul 21, 2013
771 posts
461 upvotes
Calgary
L4cky wrote: Isn't there a YouTube video saying biscuit joiner not good? Isn't pocket hole better?
Not really the same thing. A pocket hole would be similar to a dowel. A biscuit has pretty much 0 strength and relies fully on the glue bonding, it's really for making sure your boards line up nicely.
Nov 26, 2003
563 posts
429 upvotes
GTA
L4cky wrote: Isn't there a YouTube video saying biscuit joiner not good? Isn't pocket hole better?
A comparison of biscuit vs Domino (Festool) might be more appropriate.
Roger21 wrote: Not really the same thing. A pocket hole would be similar to a dowel. A biscuit has pretty much 0 strength and relies fully on the glue bonding, it's really for making sure your boards line up nicely.
I can't speak for other brands, but the Lamello biscuits that I use are compressed beech and are cut with the grain at 45 degrees to the bond line. Once expanded the biscuits actually provide significant strength even without glue.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7921 posts
1820 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Roger21 wrote: Not really the same thing. A pocket hole would be similar to a dowel. A biscuit has pretty much 0 strength and relies fully on the glue bonding, it's really for making sure your boards line up nicely.
Um.. I thought clamps are the ones to make sure the boards are well aligned
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4262 posts
1501 upvotes
WFH
L4cky wrote: Um.. I thought clamps are the ones to make sure the boards are well aligned
Nope, clamps will hold your boards in place while the glue dries but when the glue is wet your pieces will slide around like slippery fish as you try to apply the clamping force. You need some means to enforce alignment.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
7921 posts
1820 upvotes
Mont-Royal
dirtmover wrote: Nope, clamps will hold your boards in place while the glue dries but when the glue is wet your pieces will slide around like slippery fish as you try to apply the clamping force. You need some means to enforce alignment.
Makes sense. Will biscuit join work for mdf too?
- Training 101