• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2021 10:16 am
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
834 posts
718 upvotes
Mississauga

[Rona] Ecobee 4 Smart Thermostat $165 on clearance YMMV

Last edited by projectman44 on Aug 11th, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
Jan 12, 2017
699 posts
2081 upvotes
too bad. you can't use enbridge coupon.
what's the main diff btw this model and the latest one?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4428 posts
3748 upvotes
Ontario
redondo2017 wrote: too bad. you can't use enbridge coupon.
what's the main diff btw this model and the latest one?
TBH I think this is the latest one. I think the one most people got for free / cheap was the model 3? idk if it had a lite version or not. I think this one had voice controls?
---
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
2214 posts
716 upvotes
Noob here. My current thermostat wiring looks like this. Will I be able to install this Ecobee 4?
Images
  • IMG_20210811_144405.jpg
Aug 12, 2011
20 posts
20 upvotes
Yes, but you’ll need to use the included Power Extender Kit (PEK). It’s basically an adapter that you have to wire in to your furnace wires so the Ecobee can get power. You could also use a generic 24V transformer that you plug in to the wall (the other end wires in to the thermostat)
Jan 20, 2005
898 posts
1198 upvotes
Toronto
I have 2 on hold at Rona Mississauga (Dundas). I won't be able to get there tonight, so I am calling them now to take them off hold. If you need them, head over!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
2214 posts
716 upvotes
canada2010van wrote: Yes, but you’ll need to use the included Power Extender Kit (PEK). It’s basically an adapter that you have to wire in to your furnace wires so the Ecobee can get power. You could also use a generic 24V transformer that you plug in to the wall (the other end wires in to the thermostat)
Thanks. I managed to buy one in Oakville on Spears. There is 1 unit left, it is kept locked up.
Mar 26, 2012
229 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
canada2010van wrote: Yes, but you’ll need to use the included Power Extender Kit (PEK). It’s basically an adapter that you have to wire in to your furnace wires so the Ecobee can get power. You could also use a generic 24V transformer that you plug in to the wall (the other end wires in to the thermostat)
I went this route. I live in a sort of townhouse/apartment, so while I do have access to the furnace, the place is old and I don't own it, so wiring to the furnace didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. The adapter was <20$ on Amazon and has worked well, other than the fact that it is somewhat unsightly, despite my best attempts to hide the cord. The plug is on the wall opposite the thermostat, so I run the cable under a rug + raceway.
Nov 30, 2015
175 posts
144 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
xTheRebellion wrote: I went this route. I live in a sort of townhouse/apartment, so while I do have access to the furnace, the place is old and I don't own it, so wiring to the furnace didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. The adapter was <20$ on Amazon and has worked well, other than the fact that it is somewhat unsightly, despite my best attempts to hide the cord. The plug is on the wall opposite the thermostat, so I run the cable under a rug + raceway.
I don't have a c-wire and went the power adapter route as well. My specific solution involved cutting a hole in the wall and spending a few bucks more in hardware.

I hid the wire inside the wall from behind the Ecobee down to the baseboard. The wire is visible going horizontally to get to the outlet. Please see the attached image.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210811-153738_Gallery.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2007
2214 posts
716 upvotes
I did it. Installation manual was really well written. A dummy like me managed to follow the instructions and set it up. I used the PEK and had no issues. Thanks OP for the hot deal. And yes, I need to patch up my wall... Lol
Images
  • IMG_20210811_201717.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1302 posts
632 upvotes
Got lucky and got one, thx OP!
Feb 20, 2019
314 posts
106 upvotes
I have a Rheem thermostat that came with the unit. Is ecobee Better than Rheem one?
Nov 23, 2018
126 posts
71 upvotes
Picked mine up from Coquitlam. They had 1 left. Worked out great I was going to buy this at full price yesterday

Thanks OP
Jul 30, 2019
116 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver
Bought 3 of these only to find that I have a 2 wire system…oh boy
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8059 posts
2033 upvotes
Ottawa
A tip I thought I share as I just installed this 2 days ago. I went the pek route. Wiring at the furnace didn’t look like typical pek install videos so I had used the wrong G wire. At the thermostat I also did a 1:1 mapping, my fault for not following instructions correctly. It’s 10pm and I turn on the power and I get nothing. I fixed the wiring at the tstat but still no power. Then realized I blew the 3A fuse. Soooo I suggest you buy this beforehand to be safe and not live through a night with no AC during this heat wave :)

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/litt ... 1571p.html
Mar 26, 2012
229 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
Canuckbert wrote: I don't have a c-wire and went the power adapter route as well. My specific solution involved cutting a hole in the wall and spending a few bucks more in hardware.

I hid the wire inside the wall from behind the Ecobee down to the baseboard. The wire is visible going horizontally to get to the outlet. Please see the attached image.
I had something similar in mind, but I'm only renting. Yours came out really clean, great work!

Side question, what are those 'dummy' outlets? Is that where it wires into, but hidden in the wall? Or the white adapter is what's for the ecobee?
Jun 2, 2006
384 posts
114 upvotes
Lachenaie, QC
Thanks OP! Picked one up and easy breezy install.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)