[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18850 posts
2426 upvotes
Out west

[Rona] Ecobee Smart Light switch - $39.60

https://www.rona.ca/en/smart-lightswitch-43125004

Rona Seems to have the model EB-SMSWVC-01 on sale right now. EB-SMSWVC-02 seems to be the Smart+ model which is on for $99

Not sure of the difference between the two, maybe this is the older model. Pages side by side have the same info, but its Rona, their website isnt known to be the best

Not sure what this is missing, but seems to be a hot deal if looking for one. Unless this model is missing a lot of features. Anyone know?
Last edited by Sanforized on Dec 28th, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated title
89 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4349 posts
4406 upvotes
Vancouver
It seems to be basically a WiFi smart light switch with built-in Alexa speaker, similar to some of Ecobee's thermostats with that option. No mention of a temperature or presence sensor. Needs a neutral wire like most smart switches.

Review: https://www.techhive.com/article/328914 ... guise.html

At the sale price it might not be a bad option if space is a consideration, but for me it shows $99.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18850 posts
2426 upvotes
Out west
Scote64 wrote: It seems to be basically a WiFi smart light switch with built-in Alexa speaker, similar to some of Ecobee's thermostats with that option. No mention of a temperature or presence sensor. Needs a neutral wire like most smart switches.

Review: https://www.techhive.com/article/328914 ... guise.html

At the sale price it might not be a bad option if space is a consideration, but for me it shows $99.
There are two models as in the post. The one with the model number with the 2 at the end is $99, the other with the 1 at the end is on sale. I messaged Ecobee and asked what the difference is between the two
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1933 posts
453 upvotes
Mississauga
Shows $39 in Mississauga. I have one of these and the Alexa side of things ain’t great. Ecobee promised temperature sensing for the ecobee switch+, but that’s still not supported by the ecobee app. I can only see temp reading from the home app. You can’t use Spotify as well only amazon music. No drop in function as it’s a third party product. I guess at $39.99 is ok but don’t expect it to replace your echo/echo dot.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18850 posts
2426 upvotes
Out west
Ecobee just messaged and they said this

Thanks for reaching out. They are basically the same and provide the same functionality. The different version numbers are assigned due to a change in the manufacturing process

So the one on clearance is just an older model, but the same
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
2517 posts
2414 upvotes
Montreal
I am willing to bet the second model has a better temperature sensor because the first model's temperature sensor is not accurate at all. I am part of the beta program from Ecobee and they will not be rolling out this feature anymore.
Last edited by SquadG on Dec 13th, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18850 posts
2426 upvotes
Out west
SquadG wrote: I am willing to be the second model has a better temperature sensor because the first model's temperature sensor is not accurate at all. I am part of the beta program from Ecobee and they will not be rolling out this feature anymore.
Thanks for the info. For the price I will bite on one. I know an area is would work well, and the option of music from it I like. No way I would pay $99, but Ill try it for $40
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1368 posts
342 upvotes
Looks like the newer version is homekit compatible. is this one?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1933 posts
453 upvotes
Mississauga
Both are homekit compatible. I have the first version.
tatung wrote: Looks like the newer version is homekit compatible. is this one?
Jun 1, 2017
410 posts
273 upvotes
Mississauga
Does this run off the same app as their thermostat?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1368 posts
342 upvotes
projectman44 wrote: Does this run off the same app as their thermostat?
Yes. but it looks like it works with alexe, google home, smartthings.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2005
4636 posts
24079 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks OP. For this low price I'll try it in a basement switch.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1676 posts
169 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Just confirming this does function as a Room Sensor (presence and temp) or did that function never make it in?

edit: Also assuming with IFTTT you could use this to run recipes for other systems? I have some stuff linked to my Almond+ and the rest I usually run through Google Home.

Not sure I really want to dive into the Amazon ecosystem as well.

edit2: reading online (and in case it's not clear to others) here's a comment from ecobee support on the Amazon.ca page for the switch:
We have determined that our Switch+ temperature sensor, while greatly improved through rigorous testing, does not yet meet our high standards for excellence. We will no longer be rolling out the Switch+ temperature sensor feature to our customers.
ecobee Manufacturer · October 18, 2019

Like wtf... this makes me really sad. I was definitely an advocate for ecobee even though I'm not invested in the Alexa ecosystem but this is just really sad.
Sep 26, 2019
114 posts
204 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks! Purchased a few as Xmas gifts for relatives.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2016
1103 posts
752 upvotes
I considered this over the weekend but couldn't really justify the purchase considering it has just one functionality that would suit me.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18850 posts
2426 upvotes
Out west
paintballdude05 wrote: I considered this over the weekend but couldn't really justify the purchase considering it has just one functionality that would suit me.
I got one. Have a single light area that it will work in the kitchen, and the added bonus of music and Alexa in it thought why not. If the occupancy sensor works the way it says as well. Dont care about the temperature thing. I have an ecobee sensor in there anyway.

I would never pay $100, but Ill try it for $40
Jul 7, 2018
125 posts
95 upvotes
GTA
The only place I find it useful without dimming feature is either controlling my old kitchen panel lights or the front porch lights.

The automatic scheduling for on at sunset and turnoff at certain time is kinda nice. It was overkill at $99, but at this price it’s not bad.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1638 posts
1048 upvotes
For anyone that already has the Ecobee thermostat and looking at this as an integrated solution, you will be disappointed. For anyone looking at a smart switch, with motion sensor, there are a lot of options out there.

Ecobee missed the boat, in that this switch should have been able to integrate the motion and temperature sensor's readings into the thermostat at the very least. They already have their little remote sensors that do that. If they were then able to build in "smart" functionality by integrating lights, presence and thermostat functions, that would have been icing on the cake.

In my opinion, I think they lost their moorings when they hitched their fortune to Apple's homekit, just to be upended by Alexa. The various extended outages they suffered in 2019 didn't help their case and damaged their credibility.

<edited for readability and added, "In my opinion" for clarity>
Last edited by Gr8irlbot on Dec 18th, 2019 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 7, 2008
637 posts
159 upvotes
Leask
my0gr81 wrote: For anyone that already has the Ecobee thermostat and looking at this as an integrated solution, you will be disappointed. For anyone looking at a smart switch, with motion sensor, there are a lot of options out there.

Ecobee missed the boat, in that this switch should have been able to integrate the motion and temperature sensor's readings into the thermostat at the very least. They already have their little remote sensors that do that. If they were then able to build in "smart" functionality by integrating lights, presence and thermostat functions, that would have been icing on the cake. I think they lost their moorings when they hitched their fortune to Apple's homekit, just to be upended by Alexa. The various extended outages they suffered in 2019 didn't help their case and damaged their credibility.
I very much like ecobee. Have two at my house and love the fact it works with Homekit