Expired Hot Deals

Rona

Firman Gas Portable Generator - 5700W - 6 Outlets $499 (reg. $999) Also at Lowe's/Reno Depot

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2021 1:41 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4016 posts
24679 upvotes

[Rona] Firman Gas Portable Generator - 5700W - 6 Outlets $499 (reg. $999) Also at Lowe's/Reno Depot

Saw this while checking stocktracker that might be useful to someone. YMMV regarding stock at your local store.

Thanks @seafish

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=rona&sku=32019885

Also at Reno Depot, https://stocktrack.ca/?s=reno&sku=32019885

Lowe's https://www.lowes.ca/product/portable-g ... ine-755252

Also on sale, Firman Dual Fuel Hybrid Gaz and Propane Portable Generator - 5-gal. - 4550W - 208cc $399 (reg. $799)
https://www.rona.ca/en/firman-dual-fuel ... 2-32019887
Last edited by hill15 on Aug 4th, 2021 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
59 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1182 posts
1449 upvotes
I wonder if Home Depot or Lowe's will price match it?
Mar 12, 2012
579 posts
519 upvotes
Belleville
Nice price. I bought a smaller Firman during 2020 black Friday sale at a price I couldn't refuse.

I picked it up, not expecting much from the "Firman" brand - but I absolutely love it. It starts SUPER easy, runs forever on a tank.

The shipping packaging is even secure with metal brackets, and come with a proper wrench (instead of some stupid stamped allen key or something). Little things, but very nice touches. The only thing that's not great, is the weld on the handle are pretty ugly, but I mean, that's just nitpicking.

I oiled and gassed mine up, high octane gas with stabilizer in it. Did the break in run, and I run it for 30 minutes on the first weekend of every month. Starts perfectly every single month. Usually the first pull, occasionally the second.

I've had to use it a few times - for what it's worth, even though it's not an inverter, I was able to drive a Keurig directly from it with no issues, and I ran the UPS for my modem/router, plus my laptop & external monitor directly from it. So the power must be reasonability clean on it. Handled that an a 1,500W electric heater without issues.

Anyway, I am very happy with it. Obviously this is a bigger/better unit than what I have, so no guaranty it will give the same experience, I just wanted to say I was not familiar with the brand before, and expecting "just above junk" grade, but have been shockingly happy with it. I'd buy another Firman in a second.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12419 posts
2134 upvotes
GTA
Is this good charger for Tesla??
Jan 5, 2017
283 posts
184 upvotes
montreal
qaz393 wrote: Is this good charger for Tesla??
highly likely that tesla will only charge from a generator with a clean sine wave, so 'no' is the answer. You would need a 'inverter generator' which are much more expensive (for the power that they provide)
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2151 posts
3205 upvotes
qaz393 wrote: Is this good charger for Tesla??
Wouldn't that defy the purpose of owning an electric car?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3678 posts
749 upvotes
Kingston
Would this be able to run an entire house? Like fridges and stoves, possibly furnaces? Kinda thinking about power outages and such especially in the winter time.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1391 posts
1353 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: Would this be able to run an entire house? Like fridges and stoves, possibly furnaces? Kinda thinking about power outages and such especially in the winter time.
no
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1182 posts
1449 upvotes
Xoanan wrote: Nice price. I bought a smaller Firman during 2020 black Friday sale at a price I couldn't refuse.

I picked it up, not expecting much from the "Firman" brand - but I absolutely love it. It starts SUPER easy, runs forever on a tank.

The shipping packaging is even secure with metal brackets, and come with a proper wrench (instead of some stupid stamped allen key or something). Little things, but very nice touches. The only thing that's not great, is the weld on the handle are pretty ugly, but I mean, that's just nitpicking.

I oiled and gassed mine up, high octane gas with stabilizer in it. Did the break in run, and I run it for 30 minutes on the first weekend of every month. Starts perfectly every single month. Usually the first pull, occasionally the second.

I've had to use it a few times - for what it's worth, even though it's not an inverter, I was able to drive a Keurig directly from it with no issues, and I ran the UPS for my modem/router, plus my laptop & external monitor directly from it. So the power must be reasonability clean on it. Handled that an a 1,500W electric heater without issues.

Anyway, I am very happy with it. Obviously this is a bigger/better unit than what I have, so no guaranty it will give the same experience, I just wanted to say I was not familiar with the brand before, and expecting "just above junk" grade, but have been shockingly happy with it. I'd buy another Firman in a second.
A couple of questions for you since you own this:

1. Can I run the entire house with it with obviously less load during power outages?
2. Does it need something special gas wise, or just regular gas would do?

Thanks!
Dec 24, 2007
310 posts
490 upvotes
under tall pines
wildlele wrote: no
this is just ignorant. this generator has a l14-30r 240v output. my house is wired for a generator. this generator would definitely run my house.

i use a Mitsubishi MGE5800Z, though.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1391 posts
1353 upvotes
TrueToy wrote: this is just ignorant. this generator has a l14-30r 240v output. my house is wired for a generator. this generator would definitely run my house.

doubt it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4016 posts
24679 upvotes
xtrmDeals wrote: I wonder if Home Depot or Lowe's will price match it?
I don't think they would price match clearance but you can always try. Usually Lowe's follows suit with Rona in marking items down. Check Lowe's in the next few days to see if they lowered the price.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3678 posts
749 upvotes
Kingston
TrueToy wrote: this is just ignorant. this generator has a l14-30r 240v output. my house is wired for a generator. this generator would definitely run my house.

Good to know, thanks
Feb 25, 2015
952 posts
1161 upvotes
NB
For backup generator, I would prefer a dual or tri-fuel model and run it off propane tanks. Unlike gasoline,propane doesn’t go bad during storage, and is cheaper
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Mar 12, 2012
579 posts
519 upvotes
Belleville
kcorscadden wrote: Would this be able to run an entire house? Like fridges and stoves, possibly furnaces? Kinda thinking about power outages and such especially in the winter time.
Certainly not all at once. It would run either a fridge or a stove (possibly both at once if they had a low enough power draw, you'd have to check your appliances.). Personally, I probably wouldn't run my furnace off it. I have read (but have no direct experience) that the electronics in modern furnaces are very picky about clean power. With my Firman (different model), I was able to run the electronics in a Keurig coffee maker - but there is a HUGE difference between maybe trashing a coffee maker, and maybe trashing a furnace.

Your other problem is the physical connections. You would need to get a transfer switch installed, and then a cord to connect them - or run properly sized extension cords to your various appliances (and cords at that size are very expensive).

There are people who use other methods to power their house with a standby generator, but they are generally considered unsafe (either for a risk of electrocuting yourself, electrocuting the hydro works, or burning your house down)
Mar 12, 2012
579 posts
519 upvotes
Belleville
xtrmDeals wrote: A couple of questions for you since you own this:

1. Can I run the entire house with it with obviously less load during power outages?
2. Does it need something special gas wise, or just regular gas would do?

Thanks!
To be clear, I own a different, smaller model. Check out my reply in post #16 for my thoughts on running your entire house. In short, it's possible you could run anything in your house with it (assuming you can physical safely connect it, and you only run a few things at a time), but some more sensitive electronics may not like it.

re gas: You'll want to use the highest octane you can find, and unless you know you're going to use it all up in one go, either put a stabilizer in it, or completely drain the fuel out of the carb between uses. (i.e. with the generator running, close the fuel value and let the engine run until it stops).

Personally, I use high octane gas with stabilizer, and run it under load every month to ensure it's working when I need it.

Another school of though - if you buy this for emergencies is to NEVER put fuel into it until you need it, to make sure there is nothing going bad in it. I didn't go this way, because (1) I wanted to make sure it worked (2) I didn't want to have to assemble it in a dark, cold rain storm and (3) you still need fuel around anyway, which still needs to be treated.

One last thing - I am absolutely not an expert in generators or engines, so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
Dec 24, 2007
310 posts
490 upvotes
under tall pines
Xoanan wrote: To be clear, I own a different, smaller model. Check out my reply in post #16 for my thoughts on running your entire house. In short, it's possible you could run anything in your house with it (assuming you can physical safely connect it, and you only run a few things at a time), but some more sensitive electronics may not like it.

re gas: You'll want to use the highest octane you can find.
this is good advice but i hope you dont mind if i expand on this. the real issue isn't octane, as these likely aren't very high compression (and it will say next to the cap and in the manual what to use,) the issue is water vapour contaminating your fuel and making it go bad. ethanol based fuels will absorb more atmospheric moisture and go bad faster than ethanol free gas. there's one brand of gas in ontario that doesn't contain any ethanol, and its shell v power (91). all the other chain gas stations in ontario do not carry any ethanol free gas.

if you're going to keep gas in your generator, i'd really suggest getting some fresh v power, immediately adding fuel stabilizer to it, and filling the tank to the brim. as always YMMV, but fresh enthanol free gas with stabilizer in it would be good for around a year. unfortunately where i live the power goes out 2-3 times a month, so i dont have that problem.
Apr 23, 2014
60 posts
56 upvotes
Niagara, ON
For reference, I have the smaller 4.45kW version (3.45kW normal load) bought on sale and it's a fantastic product. Well designed, starts immediately and runs relatively quiet for a long long time on one tank of gas.

With proper safe extension cords (not cheap ones) it was able to run my fridges, computers and internet for 6 hours during a recent (planned) power outage by the utility. This was a great "test" in case of emergency before I actually needed to use it.

I can imagine that the 5.7kW version with 6 outlets is even better. If you are on the fence deciding or not, go for it Grinning Face. I love my Firman generator.
Aug 10, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
Great price, anyone knows how loud they are? Would they be annoying to take camping?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)